1994 SC - No Courtesy Lights - All Fuses Good?

Tim Groth

SCCoA Member
Just picked up another 94 5 speed, and the interior lighting doesn't activate when the doors are opened.

I'm pretty well stumped on where to start. Upon purchase I checked the fuses for I figured that was the problem. All under dash fuses are good. I acutally pulled each of them individually to make sure I covered my bases.

The car has keyless entry, the self dimming lights and also Moon Roof if thats any help with the packages it has.

The Map lights come on if you manually turn them on...door panel buttons illuminate with lights also. Kind of lost on this one.

I haven't checked the bulbs (perhaps prior owner didn't like a lighted entry and pulled them...?).

Any suggestions on here to check would be great.

Thanks!

-Tim

Just picked up another 94 5 speed, and the interior lighting doesn't activate when the doors are opened.

I'm pretty well stumped on where to start. Upon purchase I checked the fuses for I figured that was the problem. All under dash fuses are good. I acutally pulled each of them individually to make sure I covered my bases.

The car has keyless entry, the self dimming lights and also Moon Roof if thats any help with the packages it has.

The Map lights come on if you manually turn them on...door panel buttons illuminate with lights also. Kind of lost on this one.

I haven't checked the bulbs (perhaps prior owner didn't like a lighted entry and pulled them...?).

Any suggestions on here to check would be great.

Thanks!

-Tim

Dumb idea here Tim. Make sure the button like switch that is released when the door is swung open isn't sticking in the closed position. Same problem drove me nuts once until we stumbled on that.

And checking the bulbs is probably the first thing you should have done ;)

Ira

Dumb idea here Tim. Make sure the button like switch that is released when the door is swung open isn't sticking in the closed position. Same problem drove me nuts once until we stumbled on that.

And checking the bulbs is probably the first thing you should have done ;)

Ira

Checking the bulbs is on the list lol.

So to add to the mix here - Keyless entry pad Illuminates if pressed at night and also the Trunk Light works at night.

Maybe the bulbs are removed :D:cool:. Still probably be EASIER to remove the fuse than the bulbs...

-Tim

I think the interior lights are operated by the keyless entry module. If I pull the fuse on mine which I do regularly do so it does not drain my battery when working on the car. When I put it back it takes a second for the system to catch up and I hear a relay of sorts then the lights come back. Make sure the door pin is not damaged try the other door and see if they turn on...

Ps dont forget about me and the trans.....:)

I think the interior lights are operated by the keyless entry module. If I pull the fuse on mine which I do regularly do so it does not drain my battery when working on the car. When I put it back it takes a second for the system to catch up and I hear a relay of sorts then the lights come back. Make sure the door pin is not damaged try the other door and see if they turn on...

Ps dont forget about me and the trans.....:)

I'll have to check it out...I understand that to be an underhood fuse correct?

Also I haven't forgotten you on the trans brother. Day 3 of owning this new SC I broke a shift fork in the trans so right now she rests in 3rd gear lol.

I'm using the 93's guts as a donor since more parts are impossible to find. Once I have everything I need the tail shaft part is all yours. :)

-Tim

The fuse I always pull is under the dash. So I would think its related to that circuit.

You might have to find someone here that will hook you up with a wiring diagram. ..

The fuse I always pull is under the dash. So I would think its related to that circuit.

You might have to find someone here that will hook you up with a wiring diagram. ..

I'll just have to breakdown and check the wiring diagram manuals I have for the 94...again I was just seeing if anyone had experienced the same issues before I went thru that ordeal. The circuit layout diagrams are a little mind blowing when given first glance.

-Tim

I had plenty of trouble with my Keyless entry when i left the trunk open and it rained. There are a few relays inside the keyless module itself. I did a voltmeter test and tripped a few. There are separate ones for map, trunk, interior back lights. One may be bad or a wire corroded. I had to run a new wire from my keyless entry pad light wire to the inside lower door light to get it to light the pad to to a bad wire. I;m not on here as much as I want and try to help where I can. Kinda got the blues an I know I need to part out my SC. Just waitin on the OK from wife to build a 96 SC/LX.

I had plenty of trouble with my Keyless entry when i left the trunk open and it rained. There are a few relays inside the keyless module itself. I did a voltmeter test and tripped a few. There are separate ones for map, trunk, interior back lights. One may be bad or a wire corroded. I had to run a new wire from my keyless entry pad light wire to the inside lower door light to get it to light the pad to to a bad wire. I;m not on here as much as I want and try to help where I can. Kinda got the blues an I know I need to part out my SC. Just waitin on the OK from wife to build a 96 SC/LX.

Very interesting stuff...I thought it was 1 big circuit, hense why I was suprised when the Trunk Light worked and also the Keyless Entry Pad illuminated when pressed at night

Based on how the fuse isn't blowing I would say it's safe to suggest that I'm dealing with a bad ground or corroded wiring. My understanding if it were a short the fuse would blow and it would be all or nothing.

This car has been sitting since 2005-06 time frame and its probable to be anything honestly.

Thanks for the direction.

-Tim

Try a keyless entry module from one of the other cars. Its located in the trunk on the drivers side under the sidecarpet..

wiring

tim, ditto-i have the same problem in the 94 that i have for sale. i found a wiring schematic on the internet. i don't remember exactly how i found it, but i will try to attach it to this note. by the way all of you sc'rs tim is very honest in his dealings-i will recommend him to all. i just bought his opal frost 94 and it is a thing of beauty. i'll try to send link via your email, since i do not know how to do it with this comment

factory splices

I've been following your thread and think that you have corroded factory splices. I bought a second coupe that had elec problems with door locks and some interior lights. Found corroded splices I've cleaned and soldered them and I'm ok now. Pull back the carpet by the drivers door sill there is a large wiring harness. The splices are in there by the kick pad. I dont know what color you are looking for but the earlier sc's it was a light green with yellow stripe for the interior lights. You have access to wiring diagram or check what color of wire goes to under dash, dome, or trunk lights. Good luck!

John - Thanks a lot for the kind words and the diagrams...I'm sure they will be very helpful.

I'm going to keep this thread going to hopefully help others that might have the same issues. I'm sure all cases are different but perhaps it will lend some direction.

This weekend I installed my aftermarket stereo equipment that was in my prior car. After the install I now notice that my Keyless Entry Pad no longer illuminates when pressed at night time. The only part of the system I beleive I would have touched to cause this is the module in the trunk. So perhaps that is 1 of the problems.

My next weekend off will be the weekend of January 10th so I will pick things up from there. Guess you never think about how nice interior lights are until they aren't present :rolleyes:.

-Tim

My key pad stopped illuminating also but a new pad fixed the problem. The lights burn out over time.

I don't think they burned out...work fine once then jiggle some wiring while installing a stereo and now nothing? Seems far fetched to me.

Luckily I have 2 parts cars 1 of which has the keyless entry so I have parts to interchange. Have to plug and play and see where we end up.

-Tim

Well some other items to report, I'm getting a little stumped but intended to fully dive in this weekend or when time permits. Understanding the electrical diagrams is a task, but it's really fun learning everything.

This weekend I noticed the glovebox light was removed...my first gut thought was perhaps it was removed for it caused the system to overload or short out...well it was removed for the glovebox latch is broken causing the light to stay on at all times.

So Now I have Glove Box and also trunk lights. Keypad still doesn't illuminate. This weekend I am going to try a different keyless entry module that I have to see if its the problem.

I am a little stumped that the underhood lighting isnt working for its on the same power source as the glovebox and uses the same ground wire. Seems odd to me.

Hopefully a volt meter will help me trace everything down.

-Tim

Last edited:
tim,

any progress on this ? im having about the same problems you are.

I haven't went any further with this issue.

I have a Keyless entry module to try on it from my parts car, however haven't gotten around to messing with it since I have to many other projects going on. Car honestly has sat since I bought it in December. :eek: Sad but is what it is...

Once I get back to it I fully intend to update this thread as I go. I think the problem lyes within the Module.

-Tim

Tim,

The map/dome lights in sunroof cars light up when the doors are opened and you said they worked via their switches, so it's not there. How about when you turn the gauge lighting all the way up on the headlight switch? Does that kick on the interior lights?

Did ya check to see if the interior lights illuminate when you open the PS door? It might sound like a no brainer, but most people rarely open their PS door. The wiring to the door switch wiggled loose on my car. Caused me all sorts of havoc with my keyless entry and alarm, and like Ira said, it could just be stuck in the "closed" position.

As for the keypad, you probably unplugged the stupid thing when you had the door panel off to install your door speakers. Been there, done that.

Finally, the wire to the underhood light likes to bend a lot, so you might have a bad wire there. If you have power to the socket, then check how the bulb seats in the socket. If it's loose, might need to change the socket.

Paul

PS: My glove box light does the same thing. I just pulled the bulb. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox anyway, so it's no big deal.

Tim,

The map/dome lights in sunroof cars light up when the doors are opened and you said they worked via their switches, so it's not there. How about when you turn the gauge lighting all the way up on the headlight switch? Does that kick on the interior lights?

Did ya check to see if the interior lights illuminate when you open the PS door? It might sound like a no brainer, but most people rarely open their PS door. The wiring to the door switch wiggled loose on my car. Caused me all sorts of havoc with my keyless entry and alarm, and like Ira said, it could just be stuck in the "closed" position.

As for the keypad, you probably unplugged the stupid thing when you had the door panel off to install your door speakers. Been there, done that.

Finally, the wire to the underhood light likes to bend a lot, so you might have a bad wire there. If you have power to the socket, then check how the bulb seats in the socket. If it's loose, might need to change the socket.

Paul

PS: My glove box light does the same thing. I just pulled the bulb. I keep a flashlight in the glovebox anyway, so it's no big deal.

I've tried turning the light switch dimmer up and down and that's retuned no response for me...also tried the PS door to see if it made any difference, still nothing. Guess we think alike in our trouble shooting procedures. ;)

As for the door speakers jarring the keyless entry I never had em off for I only replaced the back speakers, so not sure if that's it either. I did replace the black trim piece with the switches with a better one for the window switch would light up only when it wanted...had to bump it a few times to stay on (bad contact or ground I'd say). Perhaps this could have jarred something?

I was looking in my 95 Service manual today and it said that the Underhood light isn't part of the Illuminated Entry/Keyless Entry circuits so perhaps thats not related to any of this. The Service Manuals and the Electrical/Vaccum tell differently from what I can tell.

-Tim

Back