Starting trouble????

blg153

OK guys and girls. Here what I got.

I was driving the sc home from work and it stalled no real reason no service light. It was like 10 below and then the car just would not start back up. I attempted to turn it over but the starter just would not turn the motor over completely. I through maybe battery natyurally. the batery is about 2 yrs old but, I attempted to jump started it several times with not luck. when the tow truck came he put it on the truck and the started turned it over but very slow to slow to start it up then starter started pto smoke !! I replaced the alternator this summer so I pretty sure it is good, Autozone though so may be suspect. I don't recall battery light at time of stall. Lights where bright all electrics where working but the seat belt motor was moving very slow. Anyone every had something like this happen? the tow truck driver said the starter was probably bad. it is original, but I heard it engage and turn fine just way so slow. Thanks for any help.

Oh mods. Pro-m meter 80mm, 42 lb injectors, MP 10 percent crank pulley and 5 percent jackshaft, home make colde air intake, 255 walbro pump, tarnsgo shift kit in aod, spc exhaust 2 1/2 into 3 into 2 1/2 with cats and mustang shorty headers coated. 1990 sc. Thanks :)

OK guys and girls. Here what I got.

I was driving the sc home from work and it stalled no real reason no service light. It was like 10 below and then the car just would not start back up. I attempted to turn it over but the starter just would not turn the motor over completely. I through maybe battery natyurally. the batery is about 2 yrs old but, I attempted to jump started it several times with not luck. when the tow truck came he put it on the truck and the started turned it over but very slow to slow to start it up then starter started pto smoke !! I replaced the alternator this summer so I pretty sure it is good, Autozone though so may be suspect. I don't recall battery light at time of stall. Lights where bright all electrics where working but the seat belt motor was moving very slow. Anyone every had something like this happen? the tow truck driver said the starter was probably bad. it is original, but I heard it engage and turn fine just way so slow. Thanks for any help.

Oh mods. Pro-m meter 80mm, 42 lb injectors, MP 10 percent crank pulley and 5 percent jackshaft, home make colde air intake, 255 walbro pump, tarnsgo shift kit in aod, spc exhaust 2 1/2 into 3 into 2 1/2 with cats and mustang shorty headers coated. 1990 sc. Thanks :)

one thing you can try to look at if it is hard to crank or will not crank is mabey you have a accesory that has froze up (ac. pwr. st. supercharger ect.) at work our ford truck diesle truck was parked and would crank but not start. it ended up being the ac compressor froze and was causing to much drag preventing it from starting. the shop installed a ac delete pully kit and problem solved. hope that helps!!

Yeah if its not an accessory it sounds like a starter problem, and if its cold it'll put a bigger than usual load on the starter. Same as for the battery. Plus it will tend to drain CCA (cold cranking amps) in the battery, due to the cold weather. The chemicals on the cards in the batteries will, in a way flake off and fall to the bottom of the case when either not used offen or just old. In which, makes it loose CCA and all around battery life. Causes battery sorts and other battery malfunctions. Also if you said that you just replaced the alternator that could be most likely a first thing to check too. A weak battery can burn out an alternator before it's time since it would be constantly working hard trying to keep power in the battery. Ive been through two alternators on mine. This is what i would do to start tracking down the problem. See if you can charge the battery. If the battery is good and takes a charge, move on. Check the main + and - cables to the battery, the engine gounds, and body grounds relating to the charging system. If they are good go try and fire her up. With a freshly charged battery it should atleast start up. This will show if starter has trouble. If it starts check your accessories. Try the AC see if it kicks on, check belts, etc. If they are all good finally check the alternator. You can check with a Meter, or just simply (while car is running) unhook the positive. If it dies, its the alternator, if not try to re-duplicate the problem, then try and trace it again. Hope this gives you some ideas!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks I didn't think of the accessory. for some odd reason my power steering line broke and I was tring to get home the pump probably sieze causing the stall then caused it not to start back up I plan toi work on it tomorrow I will post the results

Same thing happened to me and it was the starter. Even with a jump it wouldn't start and almost stopped the car that was trying to jump me. If it's a 5 speed, push start it and see if you have a battery light on, if not then it's your starter.

Back