Intermittent Sputter/Rough Idle

Raymondo

I am experiencing an intermittent sputter/rough idle and no CEL. When it happens sometimes the rpms drop to 500 or so. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Raymondo

Last edited:
loose sensor wire

Could it just be that you were working on it at some point and didnt reconnect all of the sensors, I forgot to plug in the MAP one time and it gave me the same problems. Maybe your IAC

jonathan

Hi guys...thanks for the responses. It seems to occur when the car is warm/hot and I have not worked on it.

Well I replaced the IAC and it did not solve the prob. Think I will look at the Cam Sensor next....unless there are any other suggestions.

Last edited:
dont go replacing sensors first. first check to see if any codes are popping. if the cam sensor is bad or acting up you'll get a code. if no codes pop then im willing to bet its your EGR.

Yea even if there is no engine light you could have thrown a code. The eec stores old codes in it so there you go, but that sounds like a cam sensor to me. They act up when hot/ warm. I just fixed a friends car that was doing the same thing. Driving ok, then after warm, it would start stuttering and such. But head over to an autozone and get her checked out, then go from there.

Yea even if there is no engine light you could have thrown a code. The eec stores old codes in it so there you go, but that sounds like a cam sensor to me. They act up when hot/ warm. I just fixed a friends car that was doing the same thing. Driving ok, then after warm, it would start stuttering and such. But head over to an autozone and get her checked out, then go from there.

Thanks! I would if my local AutoZone had someone there with a brain. But I guess I will do it anyways. :confused:

ha ha i hear that! But, hopefully you will get lucky and get the only guy that actually knows what a car is to help you out. Just ask him to run your codes. Keep it simple, so then he can't screw up. ha ha If there is a code and your not sure what it is. Just post it and ill look it up on alldata for you.:cool:

Last edited:
Shoot i was afraid of that! Well yea i would suggest picking up a scanner then. It'll cost you about that much at a shop anyway so why not just have one and d.i.y.

If its not the cam sensor, it could be these following: EGR, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, or MAF. Those are the posibilities I have limited it down to. If you run a K&N type filter that takes oil spray on, the oil in those have been know to clog up the MAF's. I would try cleaning you mass airflow sensor first. It wouldn't hurt. Hell might gain a little HP in the process if its dirty. lol But That should be about you options there.

Thanks Snowman! I will check those things....as well as see if I can get any codes pulled. I have cleaned the throttle body...was nasty....and I did not think the MAF was dirty but will give it a second look. I have spares for the O2 Sensors and the Cam Sensor so I may just change them. Question - does my '92 SC have an EGR valve and where is it, also what is a MAP sensor?

Raymondo

no u do not have an egr valve.

sc's do not have MAP sensors we have BAP(barometric air pressure) sensors.
it senses the pressure in the air and does something with the vacuum in the motor.....:rolleyes:

Hey no problem! Since you don't have an EGR, thats one less thing to worry about. The BPS sensor helps control air/fuel ratio, ignition timing adjustment, and (EGR flow control if eguipped with EGR) by using the atmospheric presure readings. So that would be a canidate. While in there might check the PCV since they are only a few bucks. Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• BPS sensor.gif
    BPS sensor.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Well without being able to hook it up to a data logger, im not sure. See if you can get those codes checked. That should help you pin-point the problem. In the picture it shows it as the MAP.

Attachments

• location for BPS.gif
    location for BPS.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 67
Back