Running/Starting problems and codes

tbonz

My SC was running rough and losing power just prior to stalling. Couldn't get it started after a couple of stalls. I am getting codes 211(PIP eratic), and 556( Fuel Pump relay primary circuit).

A couple of questions:

is the code 556 keeping the fuel pump from creating pressure?

My brother seems to think the Cam Position sensor is related to the issue with the fuel pump, is that possible even though I am not getting codes related to the CamPS?

Jumping the fuel pump made it possible to get the car to run, but i twas still running rough and wouldn't consistently start.

Thanks for the help!

Todd

I would check/replace the fuel pump relay and maybe test fuel pressure. Clear the 556 code (Primary fuel pump circuit failure) first perhaps, then work on whatever remains. Don't ignore poor grounds/paths as well while you're under the hood...

Last edited:
Thanks KMT I will look into the grounds/paths, I also have a code 542.

A couple of additional questions:

Fuel pressure, what sort of readings should i expect? I have 40lbs when the fuel pump activates, from there it seems weaker when I do get the car to run. I am also getting some exhaust popping/backfiring.

Could the fuel pressure or lack of be related to the 212 code?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks KMT I will look into the grounds/paths, I also have a code 542.

A couple of additional questions:

Fuel pressure, what sort of readings should i expect? I have 40lbs when the fuel pump activates, from there it seems weaker when I do get the car to run. I am also getting some exhaust popping/backfiring.

Could the fuel pressure or lack of be related to the 212 code?

Thanks for the help!

Take a close look at the balancer and see if the crank pulley is wobbling, also check to see if the head of the bolt that holds the balancer onto the crankshaft is still there.

David

38psi~40psi at the rail w/motor off is your target.

I doubt the 212 is related. No idea about your popping without more info, sorry.

[542 O,C Fuel pump circuit open; ECA to motor]

Fix the 542/556 codes first...then work on any issues that remain.

Last edited:
Changed the relay. Balancer is a goner good call. I'll let you guys know how things go.

Thanks for the help!

Todd

Todd,

In addition to replacing the balancer, you will also want to get a new crank sensor and a new bolt to hold the balancer on.

David

I have a friend locating a balancer, dealer cost seems a bit steep, and the part may be hard to find? Are there aftermarket alternatives out there?

Back