JBL Sub Amp driven by Aftermarket Receiver

Raymondo

Couple questions:

There are three wires running from the factory JBL amp to the JBL Sub Amp, can someone tell me what each of these wires do?

And can I connect my aftermarket receiver to the JBL Sub Amp?

Thanks!
Raymondo

You need a small amplifier to make it work like that. Mine sounds great I have an aftermaket deck and there is a black and black&white wire that goes into the box, I cut that, then the little amp powers it.

Last edited:
>can someone tell me what each of these wires do?

Again, this page has tons of info; http://www.35thatr.org/Radio/JBLAmpPinouts.htm

>And can I connect my aftermarket receiver to the JBL Sub Amp?

What is the sub signal being output by the aftermarket amp: 4 OHM, 2 OHM? If it doesn't have a specific sub output, then as Ricardo says, you need another amp.

Last edited:
Generally you need an low level signal (preamp) into the sub amp. For that matter, any amp input should be a preamp signal. NOT speaker lines unless the amp specifically states it.

Usually a deck will have preamp RCA output(s) for a sub. If not, pick any other preamp channel and then tap into the shielded cable.

Very few decks have low crossover signal that you can use that has the +- feeds you need for the sub.

I replaced my subwoofer speaker in my factory enclosure with a JL unit. I dont remember what oms anymore. My aftermaket deck has RCA low outputs that are preamp, then a small amp powers the sub.

Ok, guys thank for the responses. My aftermarket receiver has preamp connections, and one for a sub. My thinking is that the three (3) wires that run from the JBL amp to the Sub amp are carrying a non-amplified signal therefore I should, at least plausibly, be able to connect the preamp signal from my receiver to the sub amp. The manual for my receiver states 70 watts x 2 ohms for the sub, max.

You might be able to make it work, but the preamp feed from an aftermarket deck might not be the same level as the ford factory feed. And might be too much. Its with an aftermaket amp I paid 50bux from walmart and works great, I have gain and Xover adjusments and all I need is a RCA to the deck, power wires and the wires going to the speakers.

What is the amp you picked up at Walmart and is it only driving your sub or the entire system?

Thanks!

For what it's worth,
This is Ford's description of the AE170 Subwoofer Amplifier as supplied in our cars with the JBL Audio Option:

The stock JBL Subwoofer amplifier is a 70 Watt mono bass amp with a built in crossover. Designed to attain 22 dB of gain, the rated power output is supplied to a single 4 Ohm load, with a signal input of 1.41V RMS. The crossover is designed to attenuate signal output 3dB at 1kHz. Total Harmonic Distortion (T.H.D.) figures of less than 0.1% are typical across the bandwidth of the amplifier.

Very few decks have low crossover signal that you can use that has the +- feeds you need for the sub.

I replaced my subwoofer speaker in my factory enclosure with a JL unit. I dont remember what oms anymore. My aftermaket deck has RCA low outputs that are preamp, then a small amp powers the sub.

ive found that most all newer decks for over $250 have sub out with level and crossover built in. i would suggest gut that old factory stuff and install some new stuff. my system consist of, a kenwood head unit with all the sub out stuff and runs usb(great for having a cd changer without having cd's) 3 planet audio amps(75/2 75/2 1250/1) 2 jl audio 6.5 components(front) 2 5by7 component Bostons(rear) 1 13w7 jl audio. it all hits like a freight train. Now my suburban has the big system in it, as for the t-bird thats about the biggest i could fit.

Well I have come to the conclusion that I am just going to add some aftermarket subs to my system....found a heck of a deal on Crutchfield and picked up two Kenwood 10s with matching Amp. I think it will go nicely with my Pioneer receiver, Kenwood and Blaupunkt speakers.

Thanks for all the help guys! If anyone is interested in a near mint JBL sub, enclosure and amp shoot me a PM.

Ray

I saw that CFLD deal - should be nice...photos, please, if you have the time, thanks.

I saw that CFLD deal - should be nice...photos, please, if you have the time, thanks.

Yeah, you bet, as soon as I get everything installed and cleaned up I will post some pics. :)

Or do you want some photos of the JBL sub and enclosure?

Last edited:
Sorry - photos of the new aftermarket stuff when installed would be great, thanks.

not sure if your used to building after market systems or not. please keep in mind that dc current loves big wires. there are alot of molding plug holes all over so feel free to use large power, ground wires and speaker wires. i have 0 gauge for my power and ground. using 8 gauge for the sub-woofer speaker wire, and 12gauge for all the highs. the deck its self is very tight. have patients. be very careful with the rear speaker grills, the clips break very easily(use a flat head screw driver to pull the bottom out first). make sure to vent the trunk to the cab or leave 1 of the seats down when you have it turned up. the subs like to blow the center brake light apart. the subs seem to sound better pointed back in these trunks. if you ground to the frame make sure to run a 2nd ground from the batt to the frame. the stock ground isnt so good. always have equal if not more ground then you have power (imo). not sure how big of a system you plan on having here but i blew out 1 rear side window and cracked the windshield the first time i fired mine up, you might want to put down fresh window seals. other then all that good luck, hope it sounds good and cant wait to see the pics :)

Good luck, I gave up my big stereo stuff some time ago for weight savings and trunk space. You are in a different ball park now :D

But I can tell you for those others that want to keep some of the JBL components that an aftermarket deck with a ford amplifier delete harness works pretty good along with an external 2channel amp powering the factory subwoofer enclosure. Ofcourse I have a JL sub speaker in the inclosure, but if you play with the all the setting and set it up right it sounds pretty darn good. And will satisfy most without going to the big stuff. :D

Back