Christmas Eve Spinout, Brakes issue

Comkid

On christmas eve, I spun out into a field in my 89 SC.

Now I'm not sure what this sound is, but right by my master cylinder, there is a constant "buzz", and if I don't unhook the battery, it will be drained.

My ABS light and Brake light have come on, and off, a few times since it happened.

I'm not sure what to try and check first. The brakes work fine so far, but I'd like to fix it. I'm thinking it's a motor running... The sound changes if the brake pedal is pushed.

Has anyone run into anything similar to this?

Thanks.

I'm sorry if I've repeated someone else's thread, but doing some searching, I didn't see anyone describe this.

Not sure about the sound, specifically, but there is the possibility an off-road escapade could muck up the speed sensors and/or the 'toothed' trigger rings at the wheels with mud/dirt, causing the ABS to mistakenly think one wheel isn't spinning, etc. This could possibly activate the pump/system and contribute to some of what you're hearing/seeing now. You might have to pull the wheels to inspect these properly.

#s 14, 12 & 3 in this general example image below (not an SC specific system):
absbrak1.gif

Might be a crushed brake line as well...best to inspect the underside of the car. You can also retrieve error codes from the ABS computer with the right tools and knowledge.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The sound you are most likely hearing is the pump motor that pumps up the accumulator that sits next to the brake fluid reservoir....

The first thing I would do is a thorough inspection of the suspension....

If that checks out alright then you need to check and/or replace the ABS relay (it is the brown relay on the fire wall next to the PS hood hinge)...

Another thing that might be causing your problem is the pressure switch that is located under the brake fluid reservoir....

It is a PITA to get to though....

One other thing that can cause your symptoms is a bad accumulator ball.....

I would replace the relay first and see if that fixes your problem....

I'll have to wait until Saturday to check things out. What's really weird, is today when I got home from work. I turned the car off, and there was no sound, but about 1 - 2 minutes later, whatever it is started up. So, again, had to pull the battery cable.

Thanks for the info/suggestions thus far.

I had the same problem pop up on my '95 Cougar randomly one day. Started buzzing while driving, and brakes were VERY sensitive. I ended up parking the car and noticed that a few hours later it started buzzing.

As it turns out, some loose wiring was the culprit.

Back