Kenne Bell...?

MY 85 GT

I was wondering anyone running a Kenne bell on one of there cars? I have a 93 GT 5.0 and was thinking of getting one and i know the SC has an eaton positive displacement Blower so i was curious to see what you guys have or thought of the Kenne Bell..thanks....:)

Dont bother reading. I had a KB 1.6 or 1.7 (cant recall which at the time) on my 5.0. It was nice but youde do much better for yourself with a centrifigul blower such as a paxton/vortech/procharger/. Youde be better doing your research over at corral.net then here. With the twin screw you just wont be getting a good HP per $ return when compared to a centrifigal

Dont bother reading. I had a KB 1.6 or 1.7 (cant recall which at the time) on my 5.0. It was nice but youde do much better for yourself with a centrifigul blower such as a paxton/vortech/procharger/. Youde be better doing your research over at corral.net then here. With the twin screw you just wont be getting a good HP per $ return when compared to a centrifigal

Thanks im on the corral all the time i came here because i wanted to see what you guys thought being that most of the SC's have eaton blowers which are positive blowers...To be honest with you im not looking for an all out race car this is my daily and i have a 93 gt convertible which is heavy and has an AOD with 3.27's i was told the centrifugal blowers would need me to change gears and really bring the RPM up to notice all the HP..were i would rather have the torque were i drive just above 2000 rpms...They dont have the 1.5 anymore the kit comes with a 2.1 and 6-9 psi...was it a good blower tho?..was it hard to install....how was tuning it?...Thanks.....:)

Thanks im on the corral all the time i came here because i wanted to see what you guys thought being that most of the SC's have eaton blowers which are positive blowers...To be honest with you im not looking for an all out race car this is my daily and i have a 93 gt convertible which is heavy and has an AOD with 3.27's i was told the centrifugal blowers would need me to change gears and really bring the RPM up to notice all the HP..were i would rather have the torque were i drive just above 2000 rpms...They dont have the 1.5 anymore the kit comes with a 2.1 and 6-9 psi...was it a good blower tho?..was it hard to install....how was tuning it?...Thanks.....:)

I think you would be much better off going with a twin screw blower than a centrifical. The 2.1 blower would be great and will allow plenty of room to increase the power later (because you will want more).

David

I tend to agree with David. The old 1.5L kits that KB used to sell didn't make a lot of power due to the blower being too small. The bigger blowers they sell now are going to support more power.

I also tend to agree with the instant power and economy features of the twin screw. You'll be able to keep stock gearing for mileage and big block torque.

Tuning is easy but it helps to have someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks guys yeah they got rid of the 1.5 they only sell as a basic kit the 2.1 then they go up from there...I really like the idea of instant power VS..have to wait for power like an centrifgual blower is....I know the Cenfig, blower has the potential for more HP but i drive this car everyday i would rather have the power were i use it...Dont get me wrong it will see the track but thats not as much as i drive it everyday...I drove a 92 T-bird S/C before i bought this 93 GT i loved the instant power that SC Had..thats why i really am looking into the KB it should be a blast on a 5.0 it should have some awesome torque....:)

I'm running the 2.1L Kenne Bell on a 5.0L DOHC in my 90 XR7. Besides the lack of an intercooled option in my case, I've been very happy with the blower. The instant torque of a positive displacement SC puts a big smile on my face every time I drive the car.

Thanks for the reply how do you have yours set up what type of boost you running? what fule pump,injectors,MAF are you using?....

I'm only running 5 psi currently. I'm using a 255 LPH fuel pump, 42lb/hr injectors, and a 90mm LMAF. I'll be swapping to a SCT BA2800 MAF whenever I increase the boost. The link in my sig has the mod list for the car and some pictures/videos.

I'm only running 5 psi currently. I'm using a 255 LPH fuel pump, 42lb/hr injectors, and a 90mm LMAF. I'll be swapping to a SCT BA2800 MAF whenever I increase the boost. The link in my sig has the mod list for the car and some pictures/videos.

Is the car tuned right now ? You can drive it with 42# injectors and a 90mm LMAF and 255 lph fuel pump without,,any problems how does the stock computer work with the added parts??? Also i would love to see you car and the vidoes but i can im not a memeber to that site so it wont let me log in...anyway you can post them here so i can see them...Thanks Gerard...

Nevermind i registered...WOW you car is really nice i love it.........

Last edited:
Owning both a twin screw, and various centrifigals (all non intercooled) on a 5.0 I would definitely have to say I perfer the centrifigal. If big block torque and tire spin on the street with a lack of top end power is what you want by all means get the kenne bell. It will probably cost you more as well.

I kid you not when I say I gave the Kenne Bell a week before I sold it for half price. I was not impressed with the low end power(which regardless of size I should have had) and top end power just wasnt what I wanted.

And pretty much an s trim vortech will get you into the 9's with the right combo being just as happy on a stock motor as a worked one. You can break into the tens rather easily as well.

Top of the line blowzilla/flowzilla 2.1 kit on a stroked completely worked 5.0 produced....Well just take a look at KB's notes paying special attention to boost levels which you just cant have with pump gas on a non intercooled setup

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ford-techinfo/blowzilla-flowzilla.pdf

When all is said and done your talking close to 4,000 for a complete blowzilla kit/gt40 lower. High hp KB 5.0's are few and far between compared to AR powered cars. Just look around..And I still have a stang convertable...And it isnt as heavy as you probably think.

I understand what your saying...LOL...I just dont like the Vortech or and centrifgual because it seems like it makes boost so high in the RPM band that i wont ever enjoy it..This is a 100% daily driver that might see the track maybe 2-3 times a yr...im so damn confussed now....LOL....i want the car to be fun to drive on the street..i thought with a KB you would be in boost alot quicker and not have to get the car to 5000 rpms to see boost like the vortech????..Plus i also heard with the vortech you needs gears...I have an AOD with 3.27's im not changing them so what do i do?....:confused:

If you aren't making boost with a S-trim below 5000rpm, then you have serious issues. They just don't work that way. The lag isn't as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. I think most people who complain about them have never owned one.

With the proper torque converter, you can have your "instant boost" in a 3.27 AOD car. You can also install a blow off valve, and then run a very small high boost pulley and regulate your PSI with the valve. That way you are always near boost, and would eliminate what little lag time there is. However, I would think an IC would be a must in that situation.

Thomas

Last edited:
If you aren't making boost with a S-trim below 5000rpm, then you have serious issues. They just don't work that way. The lag isn't as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. I think most people who complain about them have never owned one.

With the proper torque converter, you can have your "instant boost" in a 3.27 AOD car. You can also install a blow off valve, and then run a very small high boost pulley and regulate your PSI with the valve. That way you are always near boost, and would eliminate what little lag time there is. However, I would think an IC would be a must in that situation.

Thomas

Let me ask you a question Ok i go with a vortech S trim i think they make what 8 psi...When would i see boost...I will go with a torque convertor once this trans bites the dust...lol...for now its going to have an Lentech valve body with a trans cooler for now...I just heard that the vortechs have no low end grunt...what does the blow off valve do...how can i regulate boost with that?..

Last edited:
Here is a copy of one of my dyno pulls. It is kind of hard to read, but you can see that boost starts to build before 3K rpm, and continues to climb until you let out of it. There are guys running twice as much PSI as I am with smaller pulleys.

http://www.midwestthundercats.com/forums/uploads/timeslip/dyno-108-1211916526.jpg

You can easily get a converter that will "flash you into boost" and still have an extremely streetable car.

This will explain the idea of using a blow off valve to regulate boost on a centri charger.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...gal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

Thomas

Here is a copy of one of my dyno pulls. It is kind of hard to read, but you can see that boost starts to build before 3K rpm, and continues to climb until you let out of it. There are guys running twice as much PSI as I am with smaller pulleys.

http://www.midwestthundercats.com/forums/uploads/timeslip/dyno-108-1211916526.jpg

You can easily get a converter that will "flash you into boost" and still have an extremely streetable car.

This will explain the idea of using a blow off valve to regulate boost on a centri charger.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...gal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

Thomas

Thomas,

They don't use a blow off valve to regulate the boost, they are using a wastegate. BTW, the same thing could be applied to an SC motor and supercharger.

I looked into doing this back in 2002 but gave up on the idea because I couldn't find a good way to control the excess boost and recirculate it back over to the inlet side of the supercharger, to keep the mass air readings from being screwed up. It would be much easier to do with a wastegate than it was with a secondary blow off valve that I was trying to adapt.

David

Back