PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CA

XR7
01-02-2009, 02:28 AM
Good Day,

I am looking to move to CA, I am hoping someone from CA can help me with some questions about my car?..

My car is not a CA built car?... am I going to have issues with the smog testing in CA?

I am also looking to upgrade my car with some Magnum Powers stuff... will I be smog legal?... I would hate to know I spent all this cash, to find out my car will not be able to be driven in CA...

Karl

posjr
01-02-2009, 02:57 AM
In CA. you can not add nothing to your engine unless it has a carb sticker. Not even an intake....

There is ways around the system. But will cost more. You can find a smog guy to smog your car for acouple hundred bucks. Which smog comes every 2years here.

If you ever get pulled over they will give you a fix it ticket. Or they will give you a State Referee ticket which you have to take your car to a state ref and they will check everthing to make sure its all stock and if its not stock you need to make it stock. They will even check your ecu. Or you can pay the fine which i heard is around 1g.

They give the honda guys the hardest times.

I'm not sure about converting your car to a CA car...Or whats involed.

Ddubb
01-02-2009, 03:07 AM
As long as your car passes visually ( has cats, stock intake, etc .. ) and on the smog test, you have no problem.

Just pay the transfer fee and registration, get it smogged and youre good for 2 years. Throw the Magnum powers on and keep your stock equipment for the next smog in 2 years ..

Or find somebody for a couple hundred $ it will pass.

Im sure I could get away with the magnum stuff on my SC with my local smog guy. We talked about modifications, etc. he doesnt have a problem with it as long as it uses the stock electronics and EGR.

Dont worry about any cops looking under your hood unless youre caught street racing.

- Dan

mannysc
01-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy does it for $85

when you get here call me 909-475-8352 ill intro you. to a guy or two who know a guy or two

or we can make your ca ready i have all the stuff layn here cats ect>

91BLOWNBIRD
01-03-2009, 02:27 AM
as Dan posted...shouldn't be a problem, just pay some fees and as Pual said hope you dont get pulled over...I went to high school with a smog tech, he'll hook it up if you drop my name and do everyhting in his power to pass you...new cali law is that exhaust pieces all have to be in stock locations, but again that is all visual...you can take a look at my mods on sccoa under Jeff Binschus 1991, as I passed with flying colors...

You can hit me up at 408-529-4025 (Jeff)

XR7
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the input guys...

Jeff, Nice looking car..

Manny, I think I know who you are talking about, I know a guy who knows a guy, that may know the guy, that you know a guy who knows that guy. :)

Dan, sorry I couldn't make out that way, when I was there.. I wasn't feeling real well, slept most the time, till I got on the Plane saturday Morning..

Oh, an few asked in PM... where I will be moving to... it will be most likely in the Stockton area.. or somewhere between Stockton, and San Francisco

Karl

Ddubb
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
My buddy is at Wyotech finishing up his Smog certificitation also .. I hope to be able to use him to get my 1991 4.6 DOHC Tbird back on the road when it is running again - I heard they shut down all of the Referees around here !!

Karl - I completely understand, im sure you were plenty busy with other things right before you had to fly back.

Did you have a job and everything already lined up ??? It's hard out here .. a lot of people I know arent working right now or its been slow.

Maybe this year we will get together for another meet .. 2009 .. start making plans now so people dont have excuses not to show up !!!!! :D

- Dan

XR7
01-10-2009, 02:25 AM
Hey Dan,

Nope no job lined up... Not sure what is out there... I have worked in Aviation in the past. Along with IT (network engineer (Cisco Stuff)) and currently just driving a truck so that I can stay local (close to home) till my son graduates high school this year..

I am guess I will be back in CA for a visit, (if all goes well between now an then) sometime around June Time frame.

Karl

Karl - I completely understand, im sure you were plenty busy with other things right before you had to fly back.

Did you have a job and everything already lined up ??? It's hard out here .. a lot of people I know arent working right now or its been slow.

Maybe this year we will get together for another meet .. 2009 .. start making plans now so people dont have excuses not to show up !!!!! :D

- Dan

Ddubb
01-11-2009, 02:17 AM
We have a few airports around the area .. and plenty of tech businesses around here for networking jobs. If youre looking at Stockton, youre going to have to commute for work, but housing isnt too bad out that way.

- Dan