PDA

View Full Version : Odometer Failure

Raymondo
01-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Ok, I have read the forums concerning Odometer failure, and I have rebuilt the Odometer, replaced the entire gauge, and even the cluster and it still does not work. What else could cause the Odometer to stop working? The Speedometer is fine...does that eliminate the Speedo gear in the tranny?

Thanks!
Raymondo

TbirdSCFan
01-05-2009, 07:07 PM
How did you go about rebuilding it? If the replacement gears fit correctly, and the speedometer works as you say, then the only thing left is the tiny motor that drives the odometer. It if were me, I'd see if I could get one from a seller here and just set the odometer to where you need it.
As a heads up, its delicate work and requires finesse to fix it w/o breaking something else.

the-big-e
01-05-2009, 10:22 PM
The first thing you have to find out is if the small gear that drives the unit is alright and still intact...:rolleyes:

The drive gear has a tendency to shear the teeth off the small gear as it's lubricant wears off.....

Raymondo
01-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Ok, I will take a look at the three speedo gauges I have, none of which function in the car, and see what I find.

scbird1
01-07-2009, 12:02 AM
A few things happen with these. First the little tag falls off the inside and jams the gears burning out the little motor. Second the little green gear breaks and you just get the speedo to work. These all fail sooner or later.

Raymondo
01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I guess while I am at it I might as well check the motor that drives the odometer. Anyone know the best way?

Thanks, again!

Ray

the-big-e
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
My guess would be to disassemble the speedometer all the way down to the odometer motor....

Then plug the assembly back in the cluster and drive around a bit....

You should be able to watch or feel the small drive gear turning as you drive along....

TbirdSCFan
01-07-2009, 02:51 PM
BTW, you can remove the speedo from the dash w/o removing the whole cluster as you probably know by now. Just take the clear cover off, remove the cluster cover and gently pull the speedo out.

Raymondo
01-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Yep.....maybe something I tinker with this weekend. I may start with one of the speedos I have on a shelf in my shop.