Adding port to play MP3 player

Ronald Wendt

Is it possible to add a headphone jack and whatever else is needed to a stereo head unit to allow playing your MP3 player through the head? If so how do you go about doing so?

New radios have them, both factory and aftermarket. I am happy with what I have but would like to be able to use my MP3. I know you can buy the adapters that play using a weak radio station but they are a real pain

Thanks

Ron

Some head units have an external input around the backside, so you might just have to plug in a cable and your set...otherwise, I guess you could wire into the rca inputs...I'm not sure how that would work out though. What head unit do you have?

Oh...well, can't help you too much there! :eek:

Do other Chrylser vehicles of the same year have the jack you're asking about? If so, there's a chance that your stereo also has the capability. I can't tell you anything for sure though. Maybe dig up some wiring diagrams for the stereo - they might give you some clues.

thanks

pretty pricy and they say for ipod so not sure if a non ipod MP3 would work or not with this.

So I did a google search and found a Scosche FM-MODO1 modulator that sounds like it does the same thing for around $30. Crutchfield has them and so does Amazon. It does not charge the MP3 so that may be part of the price difference

Should have gone their in the first place but anyway thanks for the help

there are different types.. if your car doesnt support audio in, you're gonna have to go with an fm modulator... or if you happen to have a tape player... you can go old skool, and use a tape deck adapter.

I spent lots of time fishing rca's and such in my Tbird...waste of time. The best I came across is a Lexington FM transmitter. All the Fm channels from 88.5 to 107 and it charges the unit..I use IPOD, can't live in a car without it. My 08 F150 has a direct ipod/mp3 on the dash, really stupid place to put it, and you still need to charge the player.

The SYNC system thats in the wifes Sport Trac is sweet. It uses the USB from the ipod and directs it right through the ipod. All you have to do is say the artist or album and it finds it..probably save some lives that way. Usually when I find my self in trouble while driving its either texting or the Ipod.

I have a Kenwood head unit that's about two years old and has a special port in the back where you can hook up a CD changer or an auxiliary input. You have to buy them from Kenwood because they have a funky pin pattern, but I drive around with my laptop plugged into my radio and it is CD quality.

I bought a Kenwood for Christmas present. It has port on front to plug ipod directly into it and allows you to control the ipod from the radio controls. I haven't gotten it installed yet. It's going in a 2001 Dodge Caravan and I need the dash kit for it.

I bought a Kenwood for Christmas present. It has port on front to plug ipod directly into it and allows you to control the ipod from the radio controls. I haven't gotten it installed yet. It's going in a 2001 Dodge Caravan and I need the dash kit for it.

I also just bought the kenwood. I have the same ipod port, its awesome because it tells you the track, artist, etc directly on the kenwood screen and you can fully control it like its a CD. Your gonna love it if you use your ipod a lot.
Dan

Dan, it's for the wife. She loves her ipod and has used the adapter kit for it using the weak fm station, but she said it sucks. If it's anything like the fm convertor that used the same method, I can believe. Although my cd changer does the same thing, it actually sounds pretty good. I know she'll love the new Kenwood. I'll let her know you gave it a thumbs up. This is the one I got. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696379&type=product&id=1198888712935

Dan, it's for the wife. She loves her ipod and has used the adapter kit for it using the weak fm station, but she said it sucks. If it's anything like the fm convertor that used the same method, I can believe. Although my cd changer does the same thing, it actually sounds pretty good. I know she'll love the new Kenwood. I'll let her know you gave it a thumbs up. This is the one I got. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8696379&type=product&id=1198888712935

Ya I have the same FM transmitter in my Ranger. It still has the stock cd player in it. It works alright but its def. not as good as a cd is. Heres the cd I have in the mustang. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...P738U&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1201913868299

Back