Keyless Entry FOB

XR7

Did,

1989 and 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7's with Keyless Entry come with Key Fobs?.. if so could anyone tell me the part number to order one or two...

Or if Yes.. will the Keyfob from 93 and up work?.. I seen another post in here on Keyless entry... where one was told to jump two post on the Keyless Entry computer.. and press the buttons on the fob to re-program for the car... will this be possible on a 1989?

thanks a Million

By the way the Winning Lottery Numbers are as follows

05-14-26-31-40 and the Power ball is 29

Karl

The reprograming instructions on the other post was for the keyless entry pad on the door. As i recall, early birds didnt come with a keyless entry FOB. Im not sure if you can swap the keyless entry module from a later model sc and use a Fob, perhaps some one else can answer that

Keyless Fobs (REMOTE Keyless Entry) only came on '93 and later T-Birds & Cougars I believe.

You can't directly swap keyless modules as the early ones ('89-'92) have different connectors than the later ones.

I did, however, convert my '90 to Remote Keyless Entry...I had to make a special, custom adapter harness so I could use the newer module and antenna, but still plug the older one right back in at a later date if I ever needed to. I bought a couple of early Ford fobs off of eBay for around $5.00.

In doing this, the remote locks/unlocks the doors & trunk just fine. It won't flash the parking lights or chirp the horn as this takes additional relays & wiring up to the dash that I didn't want to mess with.

Here's a pic of the custom wiring adapter I made. The single black item in the lower right corner of the photo is a momentary push button switch I use when I need to program the unit to work with a new remote fob. (A lot easier than jumping two pins!) It all tucks nicely behind the plastic cover in the trunk and the antenna is slipped up under the rear package tray. It will pick up the fob's signal from about 75 feet away.

Attachments

• Keyless Entry Harness.jpg
    Keyless Entry Harness.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 966
TwoTimeSC said:
Keyless Fobs (REMOTE Keyless Entry) only came on '93 and later T-Birds & Cougars I believe.

You can't directly swap keyless modules as the early ones ('89-'92) have different connectors than the later ones.

I did, however, convert my '90 to Remote Keyless Entry...I had to make a special, custom adapter harness so I could use the newer module and antenna, but still plug the older one right back in at a later date if I ever needed to. I bought a couple of early Ford fobs off of eBay for around $5.00.

In doing this, the remote locks/unlocks the doors & trunk just fine. It won't flash the parking lights or chirp the horn as this takes additional relays & wiring up to the dash that I didn't want to mess with.

Here's a pic of the custom wiring adapter I made. The single black item in the lower right corner of the photo is a momentary push button switch I use when I need to program the unit to work with a new remote fob. (A lot easier than jumping two pins!) It all tucks nicely behind the plastic cover in the trunk and the antenna is slipped up under the rear package tray. It will pick up the fob's signal from about 75 feet away.
Nice Job! Do you have a wiring diagram for that? I am sure there are others out here that would like to do that and I am one of them.

Super XR7 said:
Nice Job! Do you have a wiring diagram for that? I am sure there are others out here that would like to do that and I am one of them.

I don't think I have the wiring diagram I made anymore. I fabricated this about 2-1/2 years ago.

First thing I did was to buy a '93 keyless module & antenna then I got a hold of all three plugs for the '93 module with a decent amount of the wiring attached. From there, I referred to both a '90 EVTM and a '93 EVTM for all of the connector pin-outs and wire colors. (The colors and connectors changed from '90 to '93) I had to disassemble the '90 module to make drawings of the two "card edge connectors" in that module so I could duplicate them for my project. This was necessary so I could make some custom ones that could be plugged into the existing wire harness in the '90.
(I suppose you could just splice the correct wires from the '93 plugs directly into the '90 harness but for me this was "messy"....I don't like splicing...I like Plug & Play)
I had to mask and etch copper-clad PC board (from Radio Shack) to duplicate the size and spacing of the connectors in the '90 module. Then the job of soldering all of the wires from the '93 plugs to the two newly made card edge connectors. I think I had made a hand drawn diagram based on what I found from the EVTMs prior to this step. By the way, both of the custom connectors are double-sided so they have contacts on both sides. Also attached an SPST momentary push button switch instead of having to jumper two pins for the purpose of programming the remote fobs.

This is not something I would want to do again as it was an extremely time consuming project. The materials cost was nothing compared to the several tens of hours it took me to do the job. At that time I thought cool...maybe I could start making these for other people and make a little money to boot, but looking back on it now, the time I spent making this one would make it impossible for me to charge a price others would be willing to pay while making enough to compensate for my time in it.

If you are electronically inclined, are good with a soldering iron, and are willing to etch your own circuit boards, you may want to take this on yourself!

TwoTimeSC

TwoTimeSC said:

In the Picture What are the two little blue objects?...

WoW this just goes to show you that if you put a question out here.. it will get answered... I asked this nearly 3 years ago...

Though I already had known the answer long ago.. TwoTimesSC really out did the answer with what he has done. in fact that is exactly what I was looking to do..

Great Job TwoTimes SC

Optional Choice

As for trying to do this today..

I personally am just thinking of adding an Alarm system to the car..

Which will keep the car secure...along with

Door unlock/lock
Pop Trunck
and even roll windows up and done I am sure

and still get a really fancy Key FOB :D

XR7 said:
In the Picture What are the two little blue objects?...

Well, I think they are a couple of small electrolytic capacitors. I have no clue what sort of brain fade led me to including those in the picture! :confused:

Anyway, 'till next time.........

They did not come with a remote from 89 to 92. If yours has one some one made an adaptor to use the 93 and up module or you have an after market alarm. And woot you revived a almost 7 year old thread.

key fob

i have a 90 xr7 with a key fob for the alarm and kill switch the part #. is the the fcc # on the back mine is goh-m24 has 2 buttons.lock and unlock.

i have a 90 xr7 with a key fob for the alarm and kill switch the part #. is the the fcc # on the back mine is goh-m24 has 2 buttons.lock and unlock.

And it's after market. The 1990's didn't have wireless remote entry.

Your point is?

RwP

key fob

your are probably correct about the remote is it possible that it was put on by the dealer who sold the car. my reason for asking is the fob is a ford fob and came with the car when i bought it used. btw thanks for the info im still trying to lesrn a much about the car as i can.

Back