PDA

View Full Version : MK8 to SC brakes

kennyo
01-14-2009, 02:08 PM
What do I Need to swap the Mark VIII front and rear brakes to my 1989 SC. Is it worth it? Is there a noticeable difference? Is there anything else I can use off a mk8 like the sway bares, maf sen ETC. I have a 5sp and was going to swap the rear end for the higher gear ratio. This mark haS BEEN CONVERTED TO struts all around. Would these struts work on my SC? Thanks

ricardoa1
01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
The brakes on the mark are about an inch bigger in diameter same as the V8 Sport t-birds from 96-97. Grab the calipers and rotors and it should be an easy swap if you have the later style spindles, 92+ I think The rear rotors and calipers are all the same if they are disc. Your SC has better sway bars and springs and shocks so that would be a mood point.

If you have a 5 speed the 3.08 gears from the rearend are desireble along with the aluminum housing. They are an open differential so you will need to swap out your clutch diff into it if you want to have limited slip. If you have an auto then its not worth bothering unless you want the extra weight savings the aluminum housing will give you.

kennyo
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Sorry, I forgot to say it was an 89 SC. Can I use the MK8 spindles?

Mike Puckett
01-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I helped a guy swap the front brake calipers, 13" rotors, and hub/spindle all from a MK8 last year. Everything fit right in no problem. We also replaced the lower control arms and all of the bushings as well. It took us 2 days but that was because we had to go out and find and buy a tool to separate the ball joints. The long handle fork type separators didn't work so we got one of the hinge type. I don't know about the rear brakes and hubs, though, as we didn't swap those out.

TSC89
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Here is the link to the old MN-12 Performance "How To" article that is posted on the TCCOA. This is what I used when I upgraded to the Mark VIII brakes on the front of my 90 SC.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm

Mercutio
01-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't swap the rear diff, just the case. All Marks came with open diffs.

kennyo
01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys

drsonier
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
I had done the swap on my 90 sc with only minor any issues, used 93 or 94 mark 8 parts. The one problem that was annoying is that the abs connector were different lenght and style. So I just ended up slicing up the old cable with the new and every thing has been working great, day and night difference no more warping. I maybe wrong but I remember a discussion about problems with the housing or the caliper mounts with stress fracture or something with the mark 8 calipers mounts. In short just make sure your donor parts are in good shape as ford doesn't sell the caliper mounts any more. I think you have to bend the dust shields back, and changing the front rotors will not allow for 15 rims on your car.

kennyo
01-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks again

seawalkersee
01-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Huh...I noticed NO ONE cought this. The 89s had far better brakes in the rear. They are thicker rotors than any other year. Several other things (such as the sway bar) are also better, but changing the whole front suspension setup it definately worth it. If you wanted to know, I swapped to Mark VIIIs on my LX and I think it was possibly my second favorite mod. First (so far) being gears.

SWS

kennyo
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
So swap the fronts and keep the rears?? Thanks

seawalkersee
01-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Yep. Change the fronts and leave the rears. I would also slap a set of ball joints on it while you are in there.

SWS