Silly question form a newbie....

ORION

I know this is probably a silly question but....my SC is in need a major tune up but prior to that I'm doing the little things like changing the fuel filter etc...
I want to put some STP fuel injector cleaner in, but the car is not really driven yet (no plates) and wont be until summer. I start it up and run it/drive it for a total of 15 minutes or so a week. I have about 1/2 a tank of new gas(92 octane) + 1/4 tank of old gas (? octane) + a bottle of STP octane booster in already. Could the injector cleaner be left in the tank for several months given that the car does not really move much. Or would it cause problems?
Thanks

Those type of fuel injector cleaners are generally pretty much ineffective. I can't see where it would hurt anything, though. You'd be better off to put some Stabil in the gas instead if it's going to sit for awhile.

For an average of $40-$80 you can have a shop hook up to your engine with a fuel injector cleaning machine. That injector stuff doesn't really work the best. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some stabilizer that I was going to throw in if I was not going to run it around the block every week.
I was not planning on doing the tune up myself b/c it does needs a major one. Maybe when it's in the shop in the next few months I'll have them clean out the injectors as well.
Thanks again.

go fill it all the way up to the top with premium after putting stabil in it... and top it off every time you take it out to drive... will keep condensation from forming in your tank, and keep the gas from 'varnishing'

READ: not 'vanishing, as in disappearing' lol.

as far as injector cleaners... ineffective at best, and a waste of money...nothing can sub for a good tank of premium, a fresh complete tuneup, and a professional injector cleaning... followed by some high rpm highway runs to blow out all the cobwebs.... ;)

go fill it all the way up to the top with premium after putting stabil in it... and top it off every time you take it out to drive... will keep condensation from forming in your tank, and keep the gas from 'varnishing'

READ: not 'vanishing, as in disappearing' lol.

as far as injector cleaners... ineffective at best, and a waste of money...nothing can sub for a good tank of premium, a fresh complete tuneup, and a professional injector cleaning... followed by some high rpm highway runs to blow out all the cobwebs.... ;)

Sounds like a good idea! I can't wait to get the chance to "blow the cobwebs" out of it!

Back