PDA

View Full Version : Changing to 3.73's, speedo gear ?

ThunderingSC
09-18-2002, 05:37 PM
I'm putting 3.73's into a 90 auto SC. I checked the FAQ board and it says I'll need a 23 tooth speedo gear to have an accurate speedo. But it only lists part #'s for 16-21. Is it just not listed or is there not a 23 tooth speedo gear?

tbirdsc357
09-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Andru, call Joe at J&P Performance, he always has speedo gears for around $25.00 CAD.

mjeffdavis
09-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I also believe the gears are also color coded. I did the same to my Bird and the gear was the purple gear. Also I think the correct gear is available but if the counter help is only looking for original available gears based on factory install that may be why they are not finding the right one.
Good Luck...Jeff

fast Ed
09-19-2002, 12:29 PM
The 23 tooth speedo gear has to come from an aftermarket source. The highest tooth count Ford sells is 21, because when they have more than that, the teeth are too fine, and often end up wearing out very quickly.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

Steve Richards
09-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Are you sure you really want to deal with J&P?

They sold me 3.55 gears, didn't tell me I needed to replace the speedo gear (I'm not a techie, what do I know), gave me the run around when I asked them about it. They said they had a speedo gear for my car. Got off work early to meet them. When I arrived, they said they didn't have the speedo gear. They could possibly make something up. It won't be accurate. Call back Tuesday and we'll see if we can help you. Blah blah blah.

ThunderingSC
09-19-2002, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I'll give J&P a call and see if I can grab one when we are there for the dyno session.

tbirdsc357
09-19-2002, 09:15 PM
J&P does a lot of business so when someone orders gears and does not specify that they need a new speedo gear......they won't bring it up.

I have bought gears for my SC, my 89 Mustang, and my friends Mustang and I was sure to ask for a speedo gear, and it was there each and every time.

I don't think that they will give Andru the run-a-round if he is specifically ordering a new speedo gear.......either they have it or they don't.