changing blower motor

johnwartjr

I searched and couldn't find the info I'm looking for, so please forgive me if I've missed an obvious thread with this question in it.

This is my daily driver, a 95 SC auto with about 140-150k miles on it. Odo quit and I've not replaced the gears, so I'm guesstimating

The blower motor is dead.

Fuses are good, smacking the glove box and dash around the blower motor don't make it start up again like it has for the last year or so :)

Of course, this happened in the coldest January in Indiana in years, but I digress

How do I get to this puppy to change it? I've got typical mechanics tools, but it's a bit tight in there.

Any recommendations on a part # for a blower motor? I checked the 2 local parts stores online, and while one can get the part on Monday or Tuesday, they show 5 different P/N's available (parts america). Parts range from 33-84 bucks. I assume I want the ones that say with air conditioning, but some say without wheel - what exactly is the 'wheel', and is it something I can move from the old motor?

It's quite easy to change. Remove the glove box by removing the 3 7mm screws underneath. You'll also need a pick or small screwdriver to release the support cylinder. You'll see how it clips on when you look at it. From there the blower motor is right there and easy to access. It is held with 4 bolts, I believe 7mm as well. I'd recommend getting a Motorcraft replacement. The wheel is removeable from the old motor.

get a motorcraft.. any others you'll have to splice into the harness... did that on my 95 lx.. worked like a charm, though...

The "wheel" is the part that actually moves the air. Looks like a hamster exercise wheel except the part where the hamster feet would be running on is a series of louvers as opposed to rods as they would be on an exercise wheel.

Thanks!

I opened the glove box and looked in, then tapped the connector with a windsheild scraper I had to see if it was connected, and the motor started right up.

Perhaps a bad connection?

I have a buddy who is parts manager at a Ford dealership, will have him get me a price on a new motor. If I can keep tapping it for around town driving til it warms up a little, I'll do that!

i fixed a buddy's blower motor by prying the prongs inwards on the harness connector... to my knowledge, its still holding up after 2 years.... :)

He got back with me.

$171.77 list, cost is a little more than half of that.

I think I'll mess with the connector a little and if it returns, then I'll investigate the motorcraft replacement!

thanks again! SCCOA keeps my SC going every time I have a problem. Why buy a new car when this one is just broken in? :)

Back