Cam selection

nickleman60

I'm asking this for a friend, what's the most lift that stock valve springs can handle? What is the lift of a stock cam? Will my car run with 60lbr's and no chip/tune?

I give him answers but he needs to hear it from the masses I guess..........:rolleyes:

well first up...he should register and do a search. These topics have been gone through many times.

The stock springs can hangle .500 lift or around there before coil bind. However, even though they can handle the lift doesn't mean that they are optimum in providing the correct seat pressure. For example I have a .493 cam with a new set of stock springs. I can def. feel them floating at high rpms. People often toss in the Comp. 942's but they really aren't made for this application either. Basically, if you want a good cam, you'll need good head-work to match and you might as well get the correct springs which require machining of the spring perches for the correct pressure and installed height.

The stock cam has something around .430 if I remember correctly...:confused:

If he has little mods, he's wasting his time with 60lb's. In this case bigger isn't always better. The bigger the injector the more trouble you'll have tuning for idle and driveability. He'll need a tune to get it running properly. With that being said, he could toss in a set of 42's, and it could run with the correct sampling tube, but IMO, I'd get a tune regardless of what I put in there. The 60's will be harder to tune at idle than the 42's.

I was running 42's a while ago with a sampling tube and it was running at 13.9:1 @ WOT. Needless to say that it needed a tune despite what C&L claims as "bolt-in".

Back