what it take to put 94motor into 92 car!

92sclikenew

like asked im lookin into possible getting this 94 motor. my car needs a motor(rod knock) is it drop in and go or is there some work involved to put it in.

please give me a heads up on anything needed to be done

also have heard the 94-95 motors are better. what is better about them if you know please tell

thanks
brian

I think all you will have to is change out the timing cover and balancer due to the difference in the reluctor rings. The 94/95's have a windage tray and full floating rods so they are a little better.

I kept my 90 knock sensor and all other sensors that weren't a part of the longblock. You keep all the 92 wiring....in your case some sensors might have different connections. I know 91 was different...not sure about 92.

You need to put an early style balancer on the car and early crank sensor. The stock exhaust manifolds will bolt up, all the top end stuff is the same aside from the vacuum routing for the supercharger inlet. I put a 95 engine into my 90 so I can help you out with any specific questions.

I just can't remember all that I did at this point. You can keep the 95 front cover (I did)...just need the early style balancer and ring.

You may not get an oil pan with the VMM sensor in it. You can use yours...or ask me....I have one with the sensor in it ready to go. I honestly just pulled back the sensor harness and taped it in. At the time I did the swap I didn't have another pan....or want the added cost.

94-95's had full floating pistons (or so the board says)
94-95's had a better SC with rectangular entry port and a better flowing inlet plenum
94-95's had larger injectors
94-95's have the windage tray
94-95's had better exhaust manifolds on the passenger side, but may not be worth the new downtubes for you.

Last edited:
I think all you will have to is change out the timing cover and balancer due to the difference in the reluctor rings. The 94/95's have a windage tray and full floating rods so they are a little better.

The 94-95 timing cover will work with the 89-93 crank sensor, balancer and reluctor ring. It's the 89-93 cover that won't work with a 94-95 crank sensor, and balancer.

So long as you are using the 89-93 wiring, sensors and balancer there should be no problem switching over to a 94-95 long block.

David

But the wiring harness is different. so therefore the 89-93 harness wont work make sure you have the 94/95 harness.

But the wiring harness is different. so therefore the 89-93 harness wont work make sure you have the 94/95 harness.

If putting a 94 motor into a 92 SC he wouldn't be using any of the sensors or accesory brackets, electronic modules, injectors or the wiring harness from the 94 SC. All those things would be swapped over from the 92 motor that is being removed.

David

If putting a 94 motor into a 92 SC he wouldn't be using any of the sensors or accesory brackets, electronic modules, injectors or the wiring harness from the 94 SC. All those things would be swapped over from the 92 motor that is being removed.

David

you win ^^

Back