Oil Pressure Drops Off Under Load?!

Nevada1906

For some reason, my far-right-side idiot light (AKA "Oil Pressure") flatlines under acceleration when the car is both up to operating temperature and in Drive.

Yeah, I know. AOD = LAME. Just go with me here.

When I shift into Neutral at a light or to park it, the gauge needle jumps back to straight up. When I lift off the gas, it returns to straight up. Does this reliably, every time I drive it. I KNOW there's actual oil pressure, or the powerplant would've been both types of blown by now.

My '96 Crown Vic P71 5-speed conversion used to do the same thing. Is this some electrical gremlin that is peculiar to FoMoCos, or what? I think it's a short, or somehow the ignition signal is overpowering the oil pressure gauge. Maybe.

I've reattached EVERY electrical hookup in the engine bay, as in sanded both the connector eye and the connection point down to shiny bare metal and applied spark plug grease.

What gives here? Anyone have any ideas?

If I had to guess, I would say faulty sensor - especially if you've cleaned the contacts.

And if your still concerned about it, install a real oil psi gauge.

-Melon

Check your engine ground cables. The main ground goes from the battery down to the driver side engine mount and the body ground goes from the rad support to the battery clamp. Make sure both are clean and tight and if you have any doubts as to the integrity of the cables, replace them.

Back