PDA

View Full Version : 95 thunderbird svt????

rabidranger
01-29-2009, 11:55 PM
this auction can't be legit can it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___95-FORD-Concept-Thunderbird-SVT-Prototype-1-of-4_W0QQitemZ190283235126QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQ ddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=ite m190283235126&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1308

mcate
01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
I heard rumors about those cars, but never saw one. The only way to know for sure would be to try to find someone who worked for SVT back then....

james5275
01-30-2009, 12:07 AM
I didn't read all the text there, but I thought the SVT bird had the Mustang cobra engine in it. (4.6 SC)??? Havn't done a lot of reading on all of that. There's a video on you tube of a claimed SVT bird that has the 4.6 SC'd in it.
jj

Thomas A
01-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Big load of BS. SVT would never build something that looks like that.

Thomas

Ddubb
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
There's a video on you tube of a claimed SVT bird that has the 4.6 SC'd in it.
jj

That video on Youtube is of the only known remaining SVE Tbird to actually exist ( no such thing as SVT Tbird )

Ebay one is a joke, 4.6 DOHC Hemi ??

- Dan

kamakazie_1
01-30-2009, 07:21 AM
MANY years ago there was an article that I read in I believe "Hot Rod Magazine" that showed Ford's Prototype SVT TBird, it was a stylish looking creature as we've all come to love in our current birds. I don't remember it looking anything like that though, I'll see if I can find the article and scan it in..

RJ

pearl95sc
01-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Never seen that one before. Whomever owned it sure put some time and money into it though. Turbo'd DOHC 4.6 ? Things gotta move if tuned right. Think if I email them they'll send an up close version of that build sheet,vin tag, and door tag stickers?

txsc
01-30-2009, 01:40 PM
They make a big deal about the "X" in the VIN. That means nothing; it's merely a check digit to vaildate the VIN. It is calculated via a formula, using the other characters in the VIN. The check digit can be 1-9 & X. It has no other "mysterious" meaning.

It might be as-advertised, but I'd want TONS of official Ford documentation before I took a $30K chance...

JD

DrFishbone
01-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Big load of BS. SVT would never build something that looks like that.

Thomas

I agree. Why would Ford (or even a dealership) go through all the trouble of making a special edition without even changing the "LX" badge to an "SVT"....plenty of other reasons make me not believe this.

Nettlesd
01-30-2009, 02:46 PM
From the ad: "All 4 cars were Black & the other 3 were destroyed."

The SVE Thunderbird that made the Power Tour and a lot of us have seen online was Burgundy.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/svtpic01.jpg
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/tbirdarticle.jpg

kamakazie_1
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
That was the article that I read and the pics I remember, where did that come from Nettlesd??

RJ

Toms-SC
01-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Completely bogus. Link that ~~~~ here.

Brad Klein
01-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Funny this car shows up every couple years. I've talked to the woman who owns it she is the scariest woman you ever seen and when she was giving me the BS about the car being an SVT it didn't have the turbo. She got a build sheet on the car and it does have SVT on it like the one pictured but never told me how she got the papers.

THE CAR IS A FAKE

I also emailed them and let them know

XxSlowpokexX
01-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Ive seen the car plenty of times most recently at Carlisle. The papers do say SVT on them. I recall a few cars having the SVT designation but unsure exactly what that meant or what engine relly came in any of them. SOHC DOHC? Where they changed..Who knows I certainly dont

I wonder the legitimacy of any of these birds. I dont however see why anyone would lie about it being an SVE or SVT bird as noone is going to pay more for it..They just arent collectable just yet.

This issue comes up at least once a year and never seems to be put to rest 100%

black90xr7
01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
I had a friend at a Mercury dealership pull the warranty history of the car. It was sold to a private party in West Virginia and had some warranty work done on it back in the '96 time frame. Unless SVT was strapped for cash and they had to build it on a used car they bought in the classifieds...uhhh, no.

XxSlowpokexX
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Come to think of it I do recall the SVE cars having SOHC motors and if you look at the build sheet for this car it seems it has a 4.6 SOHC Romeo Engine. I dont think there was anything special about teh SVE cars except that they said SVE on the title

So is perhaps a complete swap....Hard to read build sheet however

EVentually I assume someone will put this to rest!

frdlvr30
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
I agree,
There is nothing SVT/SVE about that car. It does appear to be a pretty nice custom build. They may find someone to believe them, but they will never get 30k for it.

Pacman
01-31-2009, 01:55 PM
68k and the brake pedal rubber is worn off?

XR7 Dave
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
68k and the brake pedal rubber is worn off?

Absolutely! Can you imagine how many burnouts that car has done in 68K miles??? :D

Young-SC-Owner
01-31-2009, 02:24 PM
I know its been said, but whats with the HEMI valve covers?

Roadhawg
01-31-2009, 02:31 PM
I know its been said, but whats with the HEMI valve covers?

Ford would never use those on a SVT, as HEMI is a Chrysler/Dodge trademark.

Young-SC-Owner
01-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I was under the same impression,,,,,

My head is doing this right now:confused::eek::confused:

Nettlesd
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
That was the article that I read and the pics I remember, where did that come from Nettlesd??

RJ

Richard,

They came from my PC. :D I just saved them from some post on here back in the day. That's about all I remember.

J dot Miller
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Anyone can buy a SVT emblem and slap it on their trunk. I had one on my 95 Cougar for many years before it was trashed. The emblem never made it officially SVT...

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ProdImages/42528B-B.jpg

But if She gets $30K for that I have a one of a kind $40k "SVT" 97 Cougar for ya! :eek:

kamakazie_1
02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Richard,

They came from my PC. :D I just saved them from some post on here back in the day. That's about all I remember.

I'm going to have to drag those Hot Rod Mags down and look, I know it's in one of them..

RJ

RedSC93
02-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I had a friend that had a black 89 5-speed with svt tag under the hood with the vin in graved on the metal 6" long svt badge. True?

Thomas A
02-03-2009, 01:05 AM
I had a friend that had a black 89 5-speed with svt tag under the hood with the vin in graved on the metal 6" long svt badge. True?

No. SVT didn't even exist until 1993. It was SVE or SVO prior to that.

Thomas

KMT
02-03-2009, 02:27 AM
http://tccoa.com/articles/clipings/hotrod02x01.jpg

http://tccoa.com/articles/clipings/hotrod02x02.jpg

http://tccoa.com/articles/clipings/hotrod02x03.jpg

Hot Rod Mag articles....

Archived thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-59479.html)on this topic from 2005...

superbirdx
02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Ford would never use those on a SVT, as HEMI is a Chrysler/Dodge trademark.

I agree that SVT would never put the word Hemi on one of their cars ,but, Ford did build the Boss 429 engine to compete with back in the 60's. I don't believe Ford would ever officially refer to it as a "Hemi" ,but, it's commonly referred to that way due to the Hemispherical heads.
This car is nice ,but, I'd think several things would be different if it was an official SVT. Aren't those rims regular LX rims?

superdadsc
02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
That red one is sweet. I wonder what happened to it?

BRIAN WALTER
02-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I have a Road&Track article from around 1993 about the redesign for 1994 model years. word for word

"New Tbird Nesting Next Year"
"The 1994 Ford Thunderbird gets a front and rear facelift along with a version of the double-overhead-camshaft aluminum v8 that is just now appearing in showrooms under the hood of the 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII. The Tbird platform also will pick up the structural improvements of the Mark VIII, but not its air suspension, which provides a plush ride but apparently doesn't react quickly enough for a performance setup. Look for fast-acting, electronlically controlled dampers to spread across the Ford line starting with the T-bird and Mustang makeovers.K.Z."

Good find:)

It includes a picture of the car from the front. The nose looks like a combination of the 89-93 and 94-95 style bumper,hood, and headlights.

Ddubb
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
You wouldnt happen to be able to get the picture of that front end online would you ??

- Dan

VicRattlehead
02-04-2009, 03:42 AM
ok here goes,

svt and tbird they never happened, the tbird program got scrapped while in the engineering stage so it was a SVE car. The SVE birds did come with a DOHC engine but they were not supercharged. When the SVE/TBird program got scrapped so did 3 of 5 cars, the remaining 2 are still around, one went to roush it the second went to John Coletti former head of SVT. This is the car that did the power tour and all the promo stuff that you see online. When john got the car he is the one that had the eaton supercharger put on the engine before all the promo stuff happened. His car has BLUE plug wires keep this in mind when you see underhood pics. if you look at the pictures of the red bird in the hotrod mag in the post a few posts up you will see that engine has RED plug wires, that car belongs to Alex Baynard he frequents the carlisle show as some of you have seen him there.

i used to have a webpage with a bunch of pictures on it of both cars, theres a big difference in the cars when you look at them.

watsonlk
02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I currently don't have the means but would be interested in a CarFax on this thing.

If it was a prototype, surely it wouldn't have been privately registered right away.

If it is NOT a SVE(SVT) then it will likely show a new buyer and con-current registration\inspections\history.

Curiously interested in that.

Duffy Floyd
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Well....actually Lou Williams did a m90 supercharged non intercooled 4.6L 94 LX development project car as an internal Ford project that was then converted to a SC by swapping all the SC parts over and it was this car that was presented to John Colletti to evaluate as the candidate for the next version Super Coupe. The fellows over at SVT declined to sponsor the car and eventually Lou came to own it. (Will not detail how.) but it is the car he has brought to Carlisle several times.

ricardoa1
02-04-2009, 12:03 PM
The dreams of another SVT SC in the mid nighties should have never been there. This info tells me that they were all going to be DOHC naturally aspirated. Good thing the idea on the supercharged bird rubbed off in the terminators, go figure.

Ddubb
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Well....actually Lou Williams did a m90 supercharged non intercooled 4.6L 94 LX development project car as an internal Ford project that was then converted to a SC by swapping all the SC parts over and it was this car that was presented to John Colletti to evaluate as the candidate for the next version Super Coupe. The fellows over at SVT declined to sponsor the car and eventually Lou came to own it. (Will not detail how.) but it is the car he has brought to Carlisle several times.

That is pretty interesting, was it something that Ford requested built, or did Lou do it on his own to present to Ford ?
Any pics of this former 4.6 turned Supercope ?

- Dan

Nettlesd
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I have a set of the wheels off of one of the SVT prototype cars. They came from a Detroit recycling center.

And no, they are not fake, copies or Mustang wheels. Many on this site know me and my car.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/SVT_Thunderbird_Wheel.jpg

Ddubb
02-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Did they come with the R center caps, or were those seperate ? The SVT wheels ive seen in pics look like a Blue ford oval center cap.

- Dan

Toms-SC
02-04-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a set of the wheels off of one of the SVT prototype cars. They came from a Detroit recycling center.

And no, they are not fake, copies or Mustang wheels. Many on this site know me and my car.

http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/SVT_Thunderbird_Wheel.jpg

Those wheels were for sale through Tire Rack for at least 3 years.

M-1007-E177

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=3231

I don't know if you can get them anymore.

Ddubb
02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Those wheels were for sale through Tire Rack for at least 3 years.

The wheels pictured above have numbers cast near the valve stem that the production version of the wheels did not have.

- Dan

ricardoa1
02-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Didnt Superior sell the scoundrels and also sold them to ford?

qc89SC
02-04-2009, 08:25 PM
dont know if its a true SVT but it look like a tru beast! ford 4,9???? where do this engine come from?

Ddubb
02-04-2009, 08:58 PM
LOL yeah thats 4.8 HEMI !!!

The Superior wheels are 17x7.5" .. Ford Racing are 17x7" :eek:

Im just wondering .. the SVT Tbird Article mentions 225 tires .. which makes sense for the 17x7, but the SVT Tbird owned by John Coletti has 275 series tires which I cant see on a 7" wheel - could fit on a 7.5" maybe with a 45 or 50 series tires .. must have another set of wheels on it ???

- Dan

Duffy Floyd
02-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Here is some pics. I'll ask Lou again for a more complete accounting of how the car came about.

Duffy Floyd
02-04-2009, 10:11 PM
I spoke to Lou this evening and the car he did was an off the book development project not an "officially" sanctioned project. It was done with the backing of the Manager of Mid-sized Car Development and was envisioned as a potential follow-on vehicle for the Super Coupe. The car was taken to John Coletti and several of the engineers there did evaluate the car.

According to Lou there was a SVT Thunderbird Project. The car was a 4.6 L 4 V backed with a manual 5 speed transmission but was not a super charged car.

Lou's car was also evaluated by engineers at Ford Racing who were developing and aftermarket kit to be used on 4.6L Mustangs and formed the basis for that package they once offered.

Lou's packaging is "tighter" using a stock M90 and fits under a stock 94-95 hood. The FRP version would not fit under the T-Bird hood and used a modified blower casting with stock internals...but to be fair it was designed for a Mustang not a T-Bird.

Toms-SC
02-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Good information. Is there any exterior pictures of Lou's car?

Duffy Floyd
02-04-2009, 10:41 PM
I looked through my stuff and I don't seem to have any. Perhaps other do. Looks like a stock 94 SC though...rear valence and GFX and SC wheels.

Nettlesd
02-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Did they come with the R center caps, or were those seperate ? The SVT wheels ive seen in pics look like a Blue ford oval center cap.

- Dan

The wheels didn't come with any center caps when I got then so I replaced them with the Cobra R caps. Back then, I had to send all the information from the wheel to Ford Racing before they would sell me the caps.

The wheels pictured above have numbers cast near the valve stem that the production version of the wheels did not have.

- Dan

That's also correct and proves their authenticity. They are also only 17X7.

XR7-4.6
02-05-2009, 12:23 AM
That SC 4.6 is pretty neat, never heard of it until now.

Anyone else notice the intake manifold looks very very close to the stock N/A one in those years?

Nettlesd
02-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Duffy,

For the pictures you show, that is Lou's car? This Thunderbird is a 2V with a prototype intake?

Or better yet, maybe I need a better explanation of the car in the photos.