turbo exploder on the dyno

boooster

I met up around 9 today for stangnation.coms dyno day at horse power ranch. Lots of cars showed up 60$ for 3 pulls including BBQ. John the owner was great. First run my truck was leaning out at 15AFR past 3000 so he cut it. Heres the first pull....
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i127.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/nicalizel/dynoday1-31-09007.flv">
He asked if I just wanted to run it. I told him its stayed together so far. Then we discussed a few ideas and decided to apply pressure from the shops air system with an regulator to the FPR to bump the fuel pressure up. It worked the AFRs stayed around 10-11 and torque went up. Power went up a little but not much and that probally due to the restriction turbine housing? Heres the second pull...
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i127.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/nicalizel/dynoday1-31-09010.flv">
He asked me if i wanted to ru na 3rd pull but I knew all i needed to know and told him were good. results were 155rwhp/250rwtrq. He calculated 20% drivetrain loss due to the trans/transfer and figured about 190ish HP at the crank. This was all on a stock ecu and a ghetto rigged FPR and a steady 5lbs of boost coming in at around 2000.

Nice!
SteelerSuperBowl2009016.jpg

the hp number is low the torque number is nice. The motor is a ohv 4.0L. with stock ecu/ 21lb injectors/ oem maf/ tiny .48 ar T3 turbo. This was on a mustang dyno. stock these motors are rated at 155hp and 175ft lbs at the crank. I put down 250ft lbs and 155 hp at the wheels. After considering a 20% loss due to the 4wd drivetrain roughly I was at 190-200 at the crank. My torque numbers were about right with other blown 4.0 trucks yet my power only picked up about 30-40 from stock. this is likely to be the overly small turbo. Im happy with the results and ill be back this summer with a fmu/bigger turbo/and more boost.

the hp number is low the torque number is nice. The motor is a ohv 4.0L. with stock ecu/ 21lb injectors/ oem maf/ tiny .48 ar T3 turbo. This was on a mustang dyno. stock these motors are rated at 155hp and 175ft lbs at the crank. I put down 250ft lbs and 155 hp at the wheels. After considering a 20% loss due to the 4wd drivetrain roughly I was at 190-200 at the crank. My torque numbers were about right with other blown 4.0 trucks yet my power only picked up about 30-40 from stock. this is likely to be the overly small turbo. Im happy with the results and ill be back this summer with a fmu/bigger turbo/and more boost.

Do you have a dyno chart you can post ? If not please post at what rpms were the peak TQ & HP.

David

The 4.0L ohv was rated 160hp/225trq. Except 1990-1992 they were rated at 155hp/220trq. Your on the right track with a larger turbo and more fuel. Stock fuel system and that small of a turbo obviously are not enough. Especially on a V6 of 245CID. Definetly an interesting build though. Not many people turbocharging SUV's. Goodluck with your future mods....

Last edited:
Do you have a dyno chart you can post ? If not please post at what rpms were the peak TQ & HP.

David

I have to go back there this week. there was 20+ cars on the dyno within a few hours and i got someone else's dyno sheet. He told me to stop by whenever and he will print me out the correct one. And as far as wikepedia and a few other sites mentioned ford rated the 91 ohv at 175ft lbs/155. There are scewed number all over the net as to what ford rated the 4.0 at. What i should have done and i didnt think of it at the time was disconnected the swing valve and made a pull without boost. Oh and it dosent probally help my hp too much that i also dont have an intercooler....

Im putting a fuel pressure gauge on my truck right now in fact and Im going to do some mods to the fuel syste mto raise pressure and take it out for a spin.

Back