hesitation under hard load

rolltide

Hi Everyone. Long time since I have been on the forums. Have been deployed to Iraq twice in the last couple of years with my Reserve Unit. Finally home. I have an issue with my 95 SC 5 speed that I need help with. Under hard acceleration (passing) my car feels like it is bucking and hesitating very badly. I mainly feel it under load in the higher gears. With cruise set, the cars runs great, but if I pull out to pass or drop to 4th to get up and go, car does not want to get up and go. Car has 167K miles on it and I have replaced the plugs recently to try and fix it. I put on Iridium high performance plugs.

Should I start with wires next, it has Magnacore high performance wires on it that have lasted me 80K miles with no problems. My mech also recommends MSD. A friend also mentioned the MAF sensor being that i do not think this one has ever been replaced.

Any ideas from personal experience and who sells these items for a good price if I need to buy.

Thanks again

Possibilities to look at and inspect for bad\crimped wiring

Cam sensor
crank sensor
DIS

Plugs could be fouled or wires damaged. Magnacore is nice but regular wires will do just fine.

One time had a bucking issue due to the electrical connection not being fastened enough on the coil pack. Another time I didn't tighten down my EGR all the way and had a vac leak.

good luck

Might be worth contacting Magnecor concerning warranty status before spending more money.

Personally, I've never had any other brand plug wire sets last as long as Magnecor.

I personaly will never buy a set of magnecor wires again. Mine lasted a few months, then the car was stored for the winter. In the summer they gave me all kinds of issues. I bought a set of stock motorcraft wires and have had no issues since.

The magnecor also seem to have cheap connectors. I you plan on taking them on/off more than once plan on them bending and not clipping on correctly.

Or maybe I just dislike them soo much since they were the reason I was not able to race at the shootout 3 years ago :rolleyes:

I personaly will never buy a set of magnecor wires again. Mine lasted a few months, then the car was stored for the winter. In the summer they gave me all kinds of issues. I bought a set of stock motorcraft wires and have had no issues since.

The magnecor also seem to have cheap connectors. I you plan on taking them on/off more than once plan on them bending and not clipping on correctly.

Or maybe I just dislike them soo much since they were the reason I was not able to race at the shootout 3 years ago :rolleyes:

I 2nd that. After having trouble with Magnecor I wrote to them and got this response ...

To: "Edward Donato" <>
Sent: Monday, January 24, 2005 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: I'm not thrilled

This is common with Super Coupes... the wires are extremely difficult to
fit (probably amongst the most difficult that I know of) and it is very,
very easy to damage them while being fitted, which is what you probably
have done. This problem is caused often by overuse of silicone grease
inside the spark plug boots - but damage is the most likely.

Our wires do fit fine and do not inherently vibrate off the spark plugs
(otherwise other Super Coupe owners would not be recommending them and we could not actually sell a product that does this) - if you send is the
wires we should be able to repair them.

It is possible you have bad wires (although very unlikely for more than 1
in the set, but anything is possible), in which case the bad wire or wires
are under warranty.

Steve Brown - Magnecor (Michigan, USA)
Telephone: 248-471-9505
Fax: 248-471-9506
WWW: http://www.magnecor.com
Mailing Address:
24581 Crestview
Farmington Hills, MI 48335
USA

I switched to Taylor - no problems.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX Sport

Hi Everyone. Long time since I have been on the forums. Have been deployed to Iraq twice in the last couple of years with my Reserve Unit. Finally home. I have an issue with my 95 SC 5 speed that I need help with. Under hard acceleration (passing) my car feels like it is bucking and hesitating very badly. I mainly feel it under load in the higher gears. With cruise set, the cars runs great, but if I pull out to pass or drop to 4th to get up and go, car does not want to get up and go. Car has 167K miles on it and I have replaced the plugs recently to try and fix it. I put on Iridium high performance plugs.

Should I start with wires next, it has Magnacore high performance wires on it that have lasted me 80K miles with no problems. My mech also recommends MSD. A friend also mentioned the MAF sensor being that i do not think this one has ever been replaced.

Any ideas from personal experience and who sells these items for a good price if I need to buy.

Thanks again

I also have a '95 with 5 speed. About a year ago, I had the exact same problem. Under load, the car would miss, but it wouldn't do it when it was cold. After running it about 15 to 20 miles it would do it. Would run fine just going along, but get on it and it had a very noticable miss. Turned out to be a weak coil. It was the original one, and had 170,000 miles on it. I also changed the plugs and wires. The plugs were the current Motorcraft finewire replacements (AGSF34FMF6, new #SP504), which I DO NOT RECOMMEND. After only 35,000 miles, the gap had grown from 0.054" to 0.065". I do not believe they are double platinum, even though many people tell you they are. Go back to the original Motorcraft double platinums (AWSF34PP, you can still find them if you look around) or the Autolite double platinum equivalent (APP2544). I have previously run the AWSF34PP plugs for 75,000 miles with no problems. I also had Magnecore red wires that had been installed for 9 years. My mechanic recommended going back to the Motorcraft wires, which I did (WR4101), which you can get from Rockauto.com for $42.79 plus shipping.

I doubt it's the MAF, and probably not the crank or cam sensor either. Do you have any codes? I would also check the fuel pressure, although I'm told the fuel pumps are good in general. Mine was fine.

I would try the coil and fuel pressure first, since they're the easiest to do. If you could get your hands on a spare coil, you could test to see if that fixes it before buying a new one. Also might be able to find a cheap used one on Ebay or somebody selling one on the SCCOA boards.

Good Luck.....and thanks for your service!!!!

David
'95 SC - manual

Try new plugs and wires.

Coming from experience, its wayyy better to start with the simple things than to get carried away.

Try new plugs and wires.

Coming from experience, its wayyy better to start with the simple things than to get carried away.

I think that was what I said :) Just relating my experience on a car with almost exact same mileage and symptoms. I think he said plugs already been changed. Coil is alot easier to check/change than plug wires, but could easily end up doing both. Fuel pressure check also very easy.

Back