Best Head Gaskets

metalman

I'm rebuilding my engine with MANY upgrades and I want to make sure I have some good head gaskets. What do you guys recommend?
I'm also going to go with head studs.

Thanks

I know about MLS gaskets. I was planning on ARP studs as well. I saw the MLS's on summit for $90something each. Is that about right?

Also, the ARP head stud kit on Summit comes with a lot more than just 16 studs and nuts. What are the smaller studs...the valve covers?

Thanks

get 98 mustang hgs they are mls. Spray the back of them with copper spray then torque the studs in sequence, in three steps, 45-65-85 ft/lbs with the head studs. Use moly grease under the washers to prevent false torque readings. 2.8 chevy head studs fit perfect and are a lot less then the "SC" ones. Make sure your heads are milled flat with a super smooth RA(Roughness Average).

I know about MLS gaskets. I was planning on ARP studs as well. I saw the MLS's on summit for $90something each. Is that about right?

Also, the ARP head stud kit on Summit comes with a lot more than just 16 studs and nuts. What are the smaller studs...the valve covers?

Thanks

Anthony, get the Chevy V-6 ARP kit # 233-4003. The set is cheaper and fit better, that's what I'm using and many others on this site.

Definately get the 2.8 Chevy studs, the 233-4003 are 6 point nuts and the 233-4303 are 12 point nuts. Don't forget the ARP moly lube and an 11x1.5 tap to chase the threads.

I saw those Chevy ARP studs and they were like 40 bucks cheaper than the SC's. Wow. That's where they get their money, huh? Good call guys!

I only found one type of MLS gaskets and they are the Felpro PermatorqueMLS gaskets for $92 a piece. Yikes! It only said they are for years 1997 and up. Dumb question I know, but I want to ask it know before I spend $180 on two gaskets...:eek:

Are these the right ones?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEL-9263-PT&autoview=sku

Thanks.

I saw those Chevy ARP studs and they were like 40 bucks cheaper than the SC's. Wow. That's where they get their money, huh? Good call guys!

I only found one type of MLS gaskets and they are the Felpro PermatorqueMLS gaskets for $92 a piece. Yikes! It only said they are for years 1997 and up. Dumb question I know, but I want to ask it know before I spend $180 on two gaskets...:eek:

Are these the right ones?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=FEL-9263-PT&autoview=sku

Thanks.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1559066

9262 and 9263 are the correct MLS numbers if you are using them. You do know that the standard FelPros with ARP studs have withstood 400HP.

if you get the mls gaskets, go to oreilleys... i found them for 60-something a side here... just an fyi ;)

I just looked up the 1998 Ford Mustang MLS gaskets. They are only 40 bucks per side on one of the online Ford parts retailers. That would be the route I would go.

I believe the actual FORD gaskets are different then the FelPro MLS. There is a huge thread about MLS in the members section, I'd post the link but not everyone will be able to access.

I have seen/used both. The Ford gaskets are uncoated bare steel. The felpro's are coated and require less perfect surfaces of the head and block.

if you are going mls get the coated ..Even then hope that you have a good finish on your heads and deck.

I just use felpro blues with the 2.8 chevy ARP's with no issues. Cost is cheap and of the 12 or so cars (SC's) Ive put this combo on..No problems

MLS are more forgiving however you need a special machined surface for them work thier full poential.

MLS are more forgiving however you need a special machined surface for them work thier full poential.

Yes, we learned this when the 1999-2000 PI 5.4L/4.6L truck engines (F-150 and Expedition) started having Headgasket failures(Oil leaking out the rear and down the bellhousings on passenger side). The issue was trying to get the block surface to that RA 20 standard. Some of the Techs at our Dealership were actually using belt sanders. I didnt, but it was pretty funny to watch someone use a belt sander on an engine block in the vehicle. It was almost as bad as the old 3.8L HG recalls for a while. Luckily the heads are exactly the same, so the driverside just leaked into the front timing cover. So you only had to do the passenger side...

I used the following in my motor. If you use a MLS gasket, there is absolutely no reason not to get the gaskets with the coating.

Felpro Permatorque MLS gasket for the 98 Mustang 3.8. Part Numbers: PN 9262PT and 9263PT

here is a picture that compares the F150 vs the Mustang gasket. Either will work, as people have used both. There does appear to be a difference in the setup of the cooling passages, but it apparently is not significant.

attachment.php

Back