MPX Install?? PICS ADDED

chadder1313

Ive been hearing more and more issues arising about the MPX and rotor bearing issues. My question is what all do i have to do to make this thing reliable? I will be OD'ing 25%. I have a fairly new snout and rotor pack with about 85k. I do know that if i can make this work (this is my last attempt with the 3.8) i will ditch the 3.8 and go small block. Any advice?

Last edited:
Send the whole thing to the high speed lab and have him rebuild the rotors and set them up for that case.

Check the clearance between the rotors and the bearing plate (the one with the gears). It should be between .010-.014" clearance. Any more than that and the rotors will need rebuilding (see above post).

I will check the clearance, that's the least i can do. Oh and Chris Paulfry, the reason why i say small block is because, if i spent the money on a nice small block that Ive spent on this 3.8, i would have one heck of a small block buy now. Hey Blown 38 the rotors mentioned are the rotors i got from you. You think they will be ok?

to each there own :D I just sold my 3.8 and my MPX......lets see where this thread goes after you get your MPX together

Putting a SB in a SC is some kind of sin isn't it :confused:

I will check the clearance, that's the least i can do. Oh and Chris Paulfry, the reason why i say small block is because, if i spent the money on a nice small block that Ive spent on this 3.8, i would have one heck of a small block buy now.
Don't be so sure. To beat the 3.8 you have to put a blower on it which will drive the cost up significantly. No streetable stock bottom NA 5.0 will beat a well done up stock bottom end 3.8L.

Curtis, it's no sin, or if it is I must be some sort of a devil. :rolleyes::eek::D

IMHO it just doesn't seem to be an SC anymore :(....

Fraser

Fraser,

I agree that once you swap over to a v8 it's not really an SC anymore, but that doesn't make it a bad thing.

It still looks great, it usually sounds better, it can increase the potential for making power and best of all, it keeps another SC out of the crusher.

David

yeah... but looking at the positive displacement of out 1.6 liter blower, added to our 3.8 liters of capacity, multiplied by the amount of pressure by some means i know not, under boost, the engine is technically sucking in more volume than a stroked out smallblock... works out to something like 5.4 litres in idiot math..... :D

tell em to take their namby pamby 2 extra cylinders and shove it! ;)

i also love telling hondas that my blower has as much displacement as their engine.... of course... my miata is only a 1.6 litre. :(

No streetable stock bottom NA 5.0 will beat a well done up stock bottom end 3.8L.

Stock bottem end streetable 5.0 N/A and emmisions freindly I have reached as much as the typical done up 3.8 still utilizing an m90 of sorts rwhp wise.

I however couldnt see why anyone would take out there 3.8 to do that..Just plain silly. Once you start hititng higher hp...It starts to make sence

Stock bottem end streetable 5.0 N/A and emmisions freindly I have reached as much as the typical done up 3.8 still utilizing an m90 of sorts rwhp wise.

I however couldnt see why anyone would take out there 3.8 to do that..Just plain silly. Once you start hititng higher hp...It starts to make sence

Well that was kind of my point. I've seen a well sealed up 5.0 with a good heads/cam/intake/exhaust package make 370rwhp, but most only make 300-340rwhp and that is with heads/cam/etc. An SC motor with heads/cam and a ported M90 or better will make 325-365rwhp but torque will be over 400rwtq so the 3.8 will be faster (and do a better job of meeting emissions if anyone cares).

Adding a supercharger to a stock 5.0 pretty much assures 350rwhp, and with heads/cam that number jumps to 450 pretty quick but that puts you near the limit for the stock block and going to a better block sends the cost wayyy up and makes any comparison more or less invalid.

I'm not at all against a V8 swap, but all too often people think that the 5.0 is cheap HP which by the time you take into account the swap, wiring, fitment, etc., it doesn't really represent a cheap or easy upgrade. Simply getting over the fear of the seeming complexity of the 3.8 system and understanding why and where the common failures come from goes a long way to making it relatively easy to make reliable power with the 3.8 as it is.

The reason i say small block is only because i have a wrecked 92 Sport and the 5.0 is looking awful good right now.:D Now do i think ill do it. No!! But the thought of that is always in the back of my head. I also checked the clearance on the bearings and they looked great. My plan is to have this car finished on Monday. Hey Dave I NEED A TUNE!!!!

Seriously. After doing my current SC I spent barely any money and am very happy with the results. I would have honestly spent much more on a 302 to make that same power not to mention all the work of doing a swap etc.

Stock valve home ported heads, mild cam, S port blower 13% OD, mpII inlet MP TB, 42lb inj 90mm MAF and 3.5 MP intake and full exhaust..

Seems making over 300rwhp is relatively easy. Making mid 300's takes a bit more money then low 300's and high 300's $$$$.

Just spend your money wisely and youll be happy with the results. The first SC I build had all the bolt ons and I wasnt happy at all. I believe the right cam choice makes all the difference. Perhaps even more then a crazy set of heads.

Yep, and then they shoot off the only come back they know..."There's no replacement for displacement." :cool:

What most people don't realize when they say that is that the displacement being talked about is how much air the engine can displace. That has little to do with the cubic inch displacement of the motor all by itself. Using forced induction effectively improves the amount of air an engine can displace making a 3.8 liter think and behave like it's a much bigger engine. So when people say that, it's true. It's just that they don't know what they're really talking about at the same time.:rolleyes:

Back