Went over to the Dark Side ( Koni )

Flip

Well I pulled off my Tokico Illumina II (Which only has about maybe about 2K on them) and switched over to Koni yellow adjustable and man what a difference. such a nicer ride and much better handling. Should have used them the first time. :D

Well I pulled off my Tokico Illumina II (Which only has about maybe about 2K on them) and switched over to Koni yellow adjustable and man what a difference. such a nicer ride and much better handling. Should have used them the first time. :D

It's hard to explain to people how with a good shock you just don't need the "adjustable" feature. I can never find the right words. Our XR7 has well over 100K miles on the Konis and I still appreciate the ride quality over a normal SC.

I wish someone would make a decently priced non adjustable anything shock and strut package for the SC. Reality is a majoriy of SC owners arent going to get out of thier car to adjust thier shock settings and many wouldnt knwo what near optimal for any particular application is

I wish someone would make a decently priced non adjustable anything shock and strut package for the SC.

If there was a good/big market, it would be on the books already.

I can remember paying $150.00 per corner for Koni adjustable struts back when 'regular' shocks/struts cost $10.00~$30.00 each. Price for a set of SC spec adjustable Koni's today? $644.00... Gabriels... $235.00

Last edited:
I wish someone would make a decently priced non adjustable anything shock and strut package for the SC. Reality is a majoriy of SC owners arent going to get out of thier car to adjust thier shock settings and many wouldnt knwo what near optimal for any particular application is

Well, that is what you don't seem to understand. With a good quality shock you just set them and forget about it. The only time I ever adjust my shocks is at the drag strip. They ride smoother than the Tokico's on soft and control rebound better than the Tokico's on firm. It makes that much difference.

Setting the shocks is super simple. Just set them on soft and drive the car, then increase stiffness 1/2 turn at a time until rebound just stops. You only have to do it once.

Fear of the unknown.....:rolleyes:

I set them on halfway front and back and they feel great. I can crank them a little if I do an auto-X or just go sporting around town. But the general feel is much better for my taste.

Once i install the Koni's first with Eibachs (they came with them assemblied off an write off) then later with H&Rs, i told myself i would never go back to the Tokico's again.. and gave them away :)

and yah.. i just adjusted till the rebound/`bounciness' stopped and left them.. usually when i'm in a mood to toss the car around, i'll turn them another 1/2 turn to firm and that's it.. Also it even takes like 5 minutes at the most on the side of the road to adjust all 4's (done that too, even at night)

The problem I have with things I can easily adjust is that I constantly adjust them and never know what is optimal. My stang has konis and it used to drive me nuts. I just have them on full firm now and it drives like a tank. I want to be able to drop em in and GO! Not racing this thing!!

Last edited:
The problem I have with things I can easily adjust is that I constantly adjust them and never know what is optimal. My stang has konis and it used to drive me nuts. I just have them on full firm now and it drives like a tank. I want to be able to drop em in and GO! Not racing this thing!!

Dave told you what to do:
Setting the shocks is super simple. Just set them on soft and drive the car, then increase stiffness 1/2 turn at a time until rebound just stops. You only have to do it once.

The nice thing with the Koni's is they are adjustable. Thus you get it set right, as Dave suggested. Then when it seems to have changed (as the shocks wear) you just re-adjust them again. Back to the perfect ride quality. The adjustable shocks gives you a really long life.

As Duffy pointed out some time ago, there are some issues with Tokico calibrations meaning that just because you get a set of shocks that adjust with a little switch doesn't mean that either one of the settings are right.

Want new shocks

My shocks are shot right now. Besides the link above anone know where to get a set of Koni's at a decent price?

Let me explain: I've only been able to find the cartridges and not the full bodies. I have a set of OEM struts off a 93 to use as bodies. But I would rather get the whole thing.

Let me explain: I've only been able to find the cartridges and not the full bodies. I have a set of OEM struts off a 93 to use as bodies. But I would rather get the whole thing.

No such thing. You'll have to change the cartridges.

Back