Cruise Control Problems

Jester

I am having a problem with my cruise control not working properly and I need some help. When I turn on my cruise control, it has a hard time maintaining speed. If I tap the gas pedal, it will pick up to the speed but it feels like it is sticking. It didn't get worse over time it just started acting up and has not changed since.

Jester

As long as your speedometer is working correctly, which in turn means the Vehicle Speed Sensor is functional. Then I would say your Servo is on the way out. Likely that the diaphragm in the Cruise control servo is either sticking or has a slight leak.

On the early cars, it is in the driver's side fender. I don't know about the later ones, but I would expect it to be the same. I am not sure if you can do anything with a broken servo. But you certainly can check the vacuum lines running to it. The line or lines pass through a hole in the fender. Check the wiring too.

Ooooo, that doesn't look good.

Can I get to that without removing the fender? Do they make replacement servos? It's an 89 with a 5 speed, Thanks

Last edited:
>Can I get to that without removing the fender?

You can pull the wheel & fender liner and then un-snap the rubber cover - it opens to the bottom....best to test inside the engine compartment first in an attempt to make sure all the work is worth the trouble, tho.

Have you seen this thread: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95721

Good luck.

Fixed it!

Problem solved. WD-40 is good. I just sprayed the TB and the throttle linkage and it works.

Back