stock pulley on bhj damper?

tondog

i have an 89 sc and i bought a bhj damper to put on it. i already got it honed, but now my concern is: can i use my stock pulley with the bhj damper?

Yes, but some things to consider....

When I first got my BHJ, I used the stock pulley from my old balancer. It would be a good idea to take the pulley to a machine shop (or speed shop if you have one in your area) and have them "zero balance" it. The stock pulleys are balanced with the stock balancer as a unit, so it may not be exactly "neutral" by itself. The BHJ is "zero balanced" when you get it. Another way to go is to invest in a set of ASP Underdrive Pulleys. These are lighter weight than the stockers, and are also "zero balanced".

Congrats on the new balancer, after breaking three of the stockers myself, its a good feeling to know I will never have to do that job again.......

actually...

That is the old school theory. At the nationals, Duffy had basically this to say. the entire engine is balanced after final assembly with those pins. So basically is not the pulley that is off balance, its the engine... So he said when swapping balancers, put the pins back in the same position, even if the balancer is neutral balanced. So who knows anymore!

Chris

well, ill have it checked just to be sure. oh, and i would like to get a set of underdrive pullies but i have a really hight output stereo system and i need all the power i can get from the alternator. :mad: but anyway thanks for the advice.:)

Back