Have 17 x 9 Cobra R's? Come on in, please! Could use some input.

fordman54935

I'm wanting to buy 17 x 9 cobra R's for my 94 SC and have been searching the threads for a while. I narrowed it down to 2 places to buy them from but still have a few questions.

http://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?partId=238

SCP has these, with these measurements:
17" x 9" Wheel with the 5 x 4.25" bolt pattern. 5.95" (151mm) Backspacing , .94" (24mm) Positive Offset

http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_wheelfit.jsp?wheelid=117296&brand=Detroit&model=Cobra R

Rims-n-tires has those,made by a company called Detroit Wheels, with the following measurements:
17x9.0, Bolt Pattern (PCD) 5x108 (5x4.25), Offset (ET) 36mm
Silver, $140.25 each.

I'm confused about the difference in offset, with the set from SCP having 24MM, and the set from Rims-n-tires having 36MM. It seems that 9" wide wheels fit pretty tight on 93+ 'birds. I would prefer the Silver finish, being a red car. Also, whats the best symmetrical tire size to run on this size wheel? I would like to be able to rotate them.

Thanks for the help. I'm trying not to make a very expensive mistake by getting the wrong wheels. Searching has helped me this far but i'm kind of stumped at this point...So if you've got these or have run them before, i'd be grateful for the help!

Picture of my car is on here too, thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 196
I believe the 17x9 Cobra Rs I had on my 95LX had 45mm offset...or at least "45" is stamped on them in several places. Your best tire size will be 255/45-17.

I never had any rubbing issues on my car, I just removed them because after 6 years or so I got bored with them.

I bought used 17x9 cobra r's and they came with 255 50 17 tires all around, the back fits perfect but the front rub on the spindle when backing out and turning and they stickout a bit, so dont get 255 in the front mines a 93 btw.

Most of the Cobra "R" 17x9 knockoffs have a 36mm offset with a 6.42" backspacing. This is like the real Cobra "R" in the M179 model. (There is also a "R58" model on the Cobra "R" from Ford Motorsport with a 24mm offset and a 5.95" backspacing. That one will stick the tire out past your fenderwell!)

I have the Detroit Cobra Rs on my '89 SC with 255/50 17s.
They look really cool. The wide tires on these rims really give the car a great look.
They do rub a bit. Mostly when somebody is sitting in the back seat.
The extra width kicks up a bit of mud onto the body. I need to get some small mud flaps.

Back