N/A V6 mods....sugesstions?

89birdman

Right now I have a 94 tbird that runs a stock V6. No supercharger, no turbo OR bottle, looking for a cheap route to go to give me a little edge over stock. I have considered porting heads and intake with adding a cam. I want to do a regrind but i have been told that regrinds aren't as reliable as new cams. so far I have looked at a chip from jet, possibly doing a j-mod on my aode and getting a chip for my tranny, can anyone show me the correct way to go?

j-mod, gears, converter, and tune. Those alone will make the car quicker without making the engine more powerful because honestly, the 3.8 N/A is expensive to make powerful.

-port the crap outta the heads
-" " the intake manifold
-buy some short or long tube headers along with full exhaust
-get a nice cam with around .480-.500 lift
-gears (3.73,4.10)
-lentech valve body
-better tires

and dont bother with buying a jet or hypertech chip there are people here that can help you with a chip. (XR7DAVE)

-port the crap outta the heads
-" " the intake manifold
-buy some short or long tube headers along with full exhaust
-get a nice cam with around .480-.500 lift
-gears (3.73,4.10)
-lentech valve body
-better tires

the parts you listed might get 20 HP at the wheels.....what a waste :rolleyes:

Here is what you need and it will be a lot cheaper than modding you 3.8.

Attachments

• birds.jpg
    birds.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 100
Here is what you need and it will be a lot cheaper than modding you 3.8.

Agreed ....

Here is mine, only paid $350 for the car, and sold the Leather seats for $250 already .. :D

m8-4.jpg

This is what I will use to replace the 03 Explorer PI 4.6 Aluminum block SOHC that replaced the 95 4.6L NPI SOHC, that replaced the NA V6 Originally in my 1991 Tbird ...

The last two V6 NA engines I had ended up at the scrap yard .. junk.

- Dan

Last edited:
the parts you listed might get 20 HP at the wheels.....what a waste :rolleyes:

well, some people dont have the ability, time or both to do an engine swap. Or maybe he really likes his N/A V6.

i think he'd get more than 20hp.

and the gears, valve body and tires you cant count as horsepower. the car will be alot faster because of them.

Last edited:
ported heads/intake, tune, cam, gears, good tires and stall. could pick up about a second in your et...

a 4.2 splitport swap is another option, along with a good tune/cam, etc.

or, go crazy and put an sc shortblock in it with an na upper and throw a turbo at it... you'lll be capable of 300+ with a matched turbo and tune. providing you do most of the work yourself, sc longblock can be had for about 300 in good shape, a gt35r knockoff turbo goes for 800 bucks, add intercooler, piping and exhaust, 500 done yourself, another 700-ish for a tune... so about 2300 bucks for a 300 hp beastie that noone would expect...

*leaves to go tear apart my rotting lx*

I have definatley considered doing a 4.2 swap, much easier that doing a V8. I think stock 4.2's are in the 200-210 hp range if i remember correctly. Yet i definatley would not be opposed to swapping in a DOHC 4.6 from a mk8. a lot of work but those ~~~~ sound so mean under heavy throttle!! plus thats a stock 280-290!

ported heads/intake, tune, cam, gears, good tires and stall. could pick up about a second in your et...

a 4.2 splitport swap is another option, along with a good tune/cam, etc.

or, go crazy and put an sc shortblock in it with an na upper and throw a turbo at it... you'lll be capable of 300+ with a matched turbo and tune. providing you do most of the work yourself, sc longblock can be had for about 300 in good shape, a gt35r knockoff turbo goes for 800 bucks, add intercooler, piping and exhaust, 500 done yourself, another 700-ish for a tune... so about 2300 bucks for a 300 hp beastie that noone would expect...

*leaves to go tear apart my rotting lx*

400+ hp has been done with a turbo and SC lower end w/ a custom upper intake. I'd do a ported N/A intake to save money. He already has the upper and lower N/A intakes on his current motor.

Just buy a $400 Nitrous kit. If you jet it at just 50HP it'll give you safe and noticable gains. It's easy to install and use and by far the best bang for your buck from all the other stuff you've listed.

I have definatley considered doing a 4.2 swap, much easier that doing a V8. I think stock 4.2's are in the 200-210 hp range if i remember correctly. Yet i definatley would not be opposed to swapping in a DOHC 4.6 from a mk8. a lot of work but those ~~~~ sound so mean under heavy throttle!! plus thats a stock 280-290!

Save yourself a big pile of money by selling the car you have now and buying a newer SC.

David

Back