PDA

View Full Version : power estimate

audiofrek19
02-14-2009, 06:45 PM
how much power do you all think i will be making when my build is done. it should be soon all i got to do is paint my motor and we are off. this is everything im doing to it. it a 90 sc motor in a 97 mustang
255 fuel pump
custom tune by vmptuning
trans go shift kit
8.8 rear with 3.27 gears
mpx supercharger w/inlet
85mm tb
cai
10rib 15%supercharger and jackshaft pulley w/heavy duty tensioners n spring
42lb injectors
i think thats about it as far as motor and trans upgrades for now. how much hp/tq do you think i will make. also i hear horror stories of the mpx should i not go with it or is there a better supercharger thats a direct replacement

CurtisPaulfrey
02-14-2009, 07:40 PM
230/270

~~~~ having to type 10 characters

thunderkid84
02-14-2009, 08:30 PM
u will need to overdrive the sc more and have a complete exhaust but i think u'll make around 260.

230/270

~~~~ having to type 10 characters

yea, ~~~~ that 10 character ~~~~

patragz22
02-14-2009, 10:48 PM
266 rwhp/292 rwtorque

KMT
02-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Comparison for reference here maybe...
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76354&highlight=266

audiofrek19
02-15-2009, 03:30 PM
i forgot to d im putting a bassani catback exhaust on there also what else do you think i would need to do to make like 300

QuickMustang
02-15-2009, 05:44 PM
I don't see anything about an intercooler upgrade...You might want to add that to the list...

fturner
02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
If going for 300rwhp, I'd forget about the 42# injectors and go at least 50's. Get at least a mild cam and some head porting done and you'll be very close to that 300 mark your wanting with the other stuff you have listed, without over stressing anything.

Fraser

audiofrek19
02-15-2009, 06:36 PM
is it even worth me getting the mpx package or should i just buy upgraded pulleys and get my stock sc ported. cause the package cost 1889 and i wanna make sure im gonna get every dollar out of it

thunderkid84
02-15-2009, 09:30 PM
u will at least need a ported late model blower to make over 300.

if you have the money to do it, go mpx. but you'll need to overdrive about 25%.

patragz22
02-15-2009, 11:54 PM
I don't see anything about a cam, try looking at my member page and compare, I know I have more HP cause my belt was slipping at the dyno real bad. my result was about 318 rwhp.

audiofrek19
02-16-2009, 08:28 PM
what do you run in the 1/4 im trying to get into the 12s my buddy that has a maxima na is runnign 13.6 and he keeps telling me my 6er gonna be slow so im tryig to get into the 12s to be like boo ya bitch lol

CurtisPaulfrey
02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
what do you run in the 1/4 im trying to get into the 12s my buddy that has a maxima na is runnign 13.6 and he keeps telling me my 6er gonna be slow so im tryig to get into the 12s to be like boo ya bitch lol

your going to need more than that to go into the 12s

go to the main page and look at the "top SC" list that will give you an idea

thunderkid84
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM

you children need to stop the fighting :D

anyways, why is he sayin your 6er is gonna be slow when he also has a "6er" ?

i believe u can do it with an mpx with full intake and exhaust upgrades. u may need a mild cam and head upgrade also

CurtisPaulfrey
02-16-2009, 09:11 PM
is your SC a stick? if so a MT tire and the factory 2 step can do wonders to a FWD car

audiofrek19
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
it automatic mustang. i got about 2500 to spend on upgrades after i get the car running. so what do you think would be the best upgrade. do you think a power pak from ssm or the mpx package from supercoupeperformance thats what i have been debating on

audiofrek19
02-18-2009, 03:31 PM
anyone got any imput

Jamez
02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Heads and cam should come before the better blower.

audiofrek19
02-18-2009, 04:27 PM
thats what i was debating between the only thing that sux is heads and a cam will cost as much as a mpx power pack which will give me the tb cai and pulley upgrade.

KMT
02-18-2009, 04:29 PM
thats what i was debating between the only thing that sux is heads and a cam will cost as much as a mpx power pack which will give me the tb cai and pulley upgrade.

Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

audiofrek19
02-18-2009, 06:11 PM
i wanna hit high 12s

fturner
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
In a mustang with the SC motor? the MPX blower will get you into the 12's easily enough. Also at least get the heads cleaned up with some porting and polishing and a 3 angle valve job. Since your target is the 12's you don't need to go to larger valves so the cost should be minimal.

You can also get yourself a reground cam, thats mild thats not too expensive with longer push rods and still be ok with the stock valve springs if the lift is less than .480 or so.

Get ahold of Dave Dalke in regards to the cam etc, and I'm sure there is several folks around here that could either help you or do the head porting/ polishing work for you for a reasonable cost since its not going to be anything extravegant. Consider trying to do it yourself as there's alot of a "good feeling" in knowing you did the work yourself ;).

Heck you never know, you may even sneak into the 11's with that setup.

Fraser

neverfastenough
02-18-2009, 07:08 PM
we have a stock long block sc into the 12's and others very close. With a stang I think it could be possible no problem, with a bolt on queen.

Corey

audiofrek19
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
if i do the mpx package that will take up most of my performance money. i think i will do the package first since its a direct bolt on and i dont have to take most of the motor apart. then do heads and cam. i get about 200 a month towards my car so it shouldnt take to long to get there

audiofrek19
02-18-2009, 08:28 PM
cause i have seen guys like jamz with just the supercoupe swap and exhaust i think intake i not sure but he running high 13's with stock tires. i think hopefully with the mpx package i can get to like mid to low 13's with a little bit better tire and then do a cam or head and get into 12's

David Neibert
02-19-2009, 01:22 AM
we have a stock long block sc into the 12's and others very close. With a stang I think it could be possible no problem, with a bolt on queen.

Corey

Who's car are you talking about ?

David

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Isnt Bruce's car a stock long block? He ran 12.8xx didnt he? Plus I think doug was very close, around 13.2 at the shootout.

fturner
02-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Isnt Bruce's car a stock long block? He ran 12.8xx didnt he? Plus I think doug was very close, around 13.2 at the shootout.

Bruce did get into the 12's.... but there's nothing left inside the car as he stripped ALOT of weight out of it.

His car isn't make much more power than mine.

Fraser

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 12:19 PM
ok. Well I still think its possible to run 12's in a stang with a stock sc longblock. Ryan ran 13.2 full weight, full interior. Really tho it would probably be best to get heads and cam then it wont be work to get it into the 12's.

fturner
02-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Your right, because for one thing the stang is alot lighter than an SC. I wouldn't be surprised if he went into the 12's with a nicely ported 94/95 blower, MP plenum, heads, cam, supporting mods like injectors and a good tune.

Fraser

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
I agree. Cmac was going 12.3ish I think, with stock valve heads and a very mild cam. He was also using a late model ported blower.

rzimmerl
02-19-2009, 12:32 PM
You could prob get that Mustang into the 12's easy with the stock long block and no cam with the MPx @15% with supporting bolt on parts and a tune. Like Corey said, I ran 13.2 with a full wieght SC with a built AOD and stock stall converter. My member page still lists the parts that were on the car at the time, I do have gasket matched heads and intake manifold also. Even with stock heads, spend the $ for a regrind cam and its sure to wake the SC up more.

90blkbrd
02-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I agree. Cmac was going 12.3ish I think, with stock valve heads and a very mild cam. He was also using a late model ported blower.

Cmac is a witch doctor. Who really knows what he did to get that car to do what it does.

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Lol Casey DOES WORK, SON. Thats his secret, the pinstripes probably ad some power.

Jamez
02-19-2009, 01:01 PM
There seem to be alot of factors in ET's, however. Seems like there are a few Mustang swap people in the 14's or even slower. I've got my fingers crossed for 13.7ish with a finished tune and some tires.

007_SuperCoupe
02-19-2009, 03:34 PM
You will have transmission troubles before you'll really be able to hit the 12s. With the Trans-Go, it will not lock out OD and you WILL shift into OD. On my SC the rpm is 4300 when it shifts. Nothing I can do about it at all.

I would suggest that you upgrade to a Lentech valve body (more $$, but worth every dime) as you will then be able to lock out OD electronically. I've got a 13.8-13.9 car that ran a best of 14.3 because it shifted every time into OD. I'm running over 250/340 at the wheels right now, but can't get it all to the ground. Don't even know for sure because how my #s really are, because I even shift into OD on the dyno.

That's all not mentioning the fact that your stock AOD won't hold up very long to the torque a SC engine puts out.

MagpoweredSC
02-19-2009, 03:43 PM
You will have transmission troubles before you'll really be able to hit the 12s. With the Trans-Go, it will not lock out OD and you WILL shift into OD. On my SC the rpm is 4300 when it shifts. Nothing I can do about it at all.

I would suggest that you upgrade to a Lentech valve body (more $$, but worth every dime) as you will then be able to lock out OD electronically. I've got a 13.8-13.9 car that ran a best of 14.3 because it shifted every time into OD. I'm running over 250/340 at the wheels right now, but can't get it all to the ground. Don't even know for sure because how my #s really are, because I even shift into OD on the dyno.

That's all not mentioning the fact that your stock AOD won't hold up very long to the torque a SC engine puts out.

You have to manually shift it with a Trans-Go to hold 3rd gear out. Lift the throttle, even when manually shifting will drop it into OD. At least that is my understanding.

007_SuperCoupe
02-19-2009, 03:51 PM
You have to manually shift it with a Trans-Go to hold 3rd gear out. Lift the throttle, even when manually shifting will drop it into OD. At least that is my understanding.

That is not true. Once you reach a certain power level there is NOTHING you can do to prevent the transmission from shifting into OD. Nothing. The most you can do is run the TV cable as tight as it will go, but that's already been done in my case. 4300 rpm like clockwork is when it shifts on the dyno or on the track. First and second gears are fine...I can hold them until I'm bouncing of the rev limiter if I want, but third gear can't be held.

To clarify further, it is not the Trans-go that is responsible for this, although the trans-go allows it to show through more than stock. The stock valve body is what is actually responsible for the transmission shifting into OD. The stock AOD valve body does not inherently have a way of locking out OD. Because of the higher line pressures that the trans-go allows for, it shifts into OD apparently easier than stock.

David Neibert
02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

Trans-go shift kit in an AOD will very often shift into OD, even though the lever is still in D. I've seen it happen on my SC and at least 4 others. Setting the TV cable extremly tight will usually stop it, but not always. Only happens at WOT in the upper rpms. As soon as you let off the throttle it shifts back into 3rd gear.

I would highly reccomend the Lentech VB with electric OD delete over a trans-go shift kit.

David

fturner
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Strange, I have a stock valvebody AOD in my car, and even when my car shifts automatically when in D (not OD), I have not had it go into OD at WOT even at 5000 rpm's in 3rd gear. My car is currently putting down about 250rwhp and 320 or so rwtq. Even on the dyno with the pulls being done in 3rd she hasn't shifted into OD.

This must be a transgo thing only, because the stock valvebody on my AOD is not acting that way.

Fraser

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
+1 Ive dynoed 250+rwhp and run 13.50's crossing the traps in D with the stock valve body and it has never tried OD. Even on the street 5k + rpm it has never gone into OD when left in the D position.

MagpoweredSC
02-19-2009, 04:20 PM
Trans-go shift kit in an AOD will very often shift into OD, even though the lever is still in D. I've seen it happen on my SC and at least 4 others. Setting the TV cable extremly tight will usually stop it, but not always. Only happens at WOT in the upper rpms. As soon as you let off the throttle it shifts back into 3rd gear.

I would highly reccomend the Lentech VB with electric OD delete over a trans-go shift kit.

David
Mine does the same thing. I havent had a real good chance to test it as the hgs blew at the track last time. It always shifts into OD at WOT unless I manually shift it. I need to do something about it. Now I will be at the high horsepower level, and dont want to fry the damn $3000 trans. Need a built bottom end b4 another new tranny.

Dave N.
What valve body and calibration are you running? I have a 2600-2800 non lockup and all the goodies, How much was the Install. Whatever your set-up is seems to work very well.

Jamez
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM
AODE's are a little different, we have a button for OD :)

David Neibert
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Mine does the same thing. I havent had a real good chance to test it as the hgs blew at the track last time. It always shifts into OD at WOT unless I manually shift it. I need to do something about it. Now I will be at the high horsepower level, and dont want to fry the damn $3000 trans. Need a built bottom end b4 another new tranny.

Dave N.
What valve body and calibration are you running? I have a 2600-2800 non lockup and all the goodies, How much was the Install. Whatever your set-up is seems to work very well.

I'm using a Lentech street terminator VB w/ electric OD delete (calibration #2). You unbolt the existing VB and bolt this one on. It does require drilling a hole in the top of the case (drilled from the bottom side) to get a single power wire out of the transmission. That wire hooks up to a 12 volt power source to delete OD. I only use the OD delete when on the dyno or racing.

I think a transmission shop would probably charge about the same as installing a shift kit (aprox $200) less the wiring for the OD switch. The shop that installed mine, did it while doing a rebuild so there was no additional cost. They were more concerned about the wiring than anything else.

David

Ira R.
02-19-2009, 06:01 PM
u will at least need a ported late model blower to make over 300.

if you have the money to do it, go mpx. but you'll need to overdrive about 25%.

Remember it isn't just about the blower. You can make 300rwhp with an S-Port and just a 10% JS pulley if the heads flow enough air. Combinations guys.... combinations.

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
02-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Spend money wisely

mild port job/stock valves/springs
520 or so lift cam..On the mild side
(cam makes big difference IMO)
stock 94-95 blower (S ported if possible)(5% Jackshaft should be fine)
MPII Inlet
MP 85mm TB
3.5 inch intake
90mm Lightning MAF
42lb Injectors (yah I may get yelled at for this but 5 out of 5 SC's around here running 330rwhp or less are doing fine with this CHEAP MAF Injector combo)
255lph pump
UD pulleys.

The money youll save from not buying the MPX will pay for your headwork.

This combo has proven to be a 300rwhp plus deal time and time again

As far as an IC....Front mount?

qc89SC
02-19-2009, 06:35 PM
maybe but will not get as much fun as you with RWD...thats my opinion

Dangle
02-19-2009, 07:21 PM
maybe but will not get as much fun as you with RWD...thats my opinion

I agree. FWD is LAME! Unless your looking for a reliable. fuel effiecient winter car (I have a ZX3 Focus, so yeah they serve a purpose) but, RWD is the way to go!!
It's more fun to push a boat then pull a ~~~!:D

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 07:25 PM
I feel safer driving a RWD car in the snow actually. wow this thread got off topic

fturner
02-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Remember it isn't just about the blower. You can make 300rwhp with an S-Port and just a 10% JS pulley if the heads flow enough air. Combinations guys.... combinations.

Ira

EXACTLY!!!!!

With the right combination of parts, these motors can make pretty impressive numbers without breaking the bank. If everything is matched together you got a kitten that can roar like a lion :D.

Actually Ira, I'm hoping with the right combination I might hit 300rwhp with an "s-port" with only 5% OD on the blower ;).

Fraser

neverfastenough
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM
lean is mean frit, unhook that FRP like a man!:cool:

XR7 Dave
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Spend money wisely

mild port job/stock valves/springs
520 or so lift cam..On the mild side
(cam makes big difference IMO)
stock 94-95 blower (S ported if possible)(5% Jackshaft should be fine)
MPII Inlet
MP 85mm TB
3.5 inch intake
90mm Lightning MAF
42lb Injectors (yah I may get yelled at for this but 5 out of 5 SC's around here running 330rwhp or less are doing fine with this CHEAP MAF Injector combo)
255lph pump
UD pulleys.

The money youll save from not buying the MPX will pay for your headwork.

This combo has proven to be a 300rwhp plus deal time and time again

As far as an IC....Front mount?

Wuss. I made over 300rwhp with a stock inlet, no tune, no OD on the blower at all, and 38lb injectors. And I have not only dyno sheets but time slips as well to prove it. I mean, if you want to compare notes you are only about 6-7 years late coming to this conclusion....:rolleyes:

But seriously, just because your stuff doesn't blow up that doesn't mean its all chocolates and roses. There's getting away with stuff and then there is doing it right. I got away with a lot of stuff but I don't go recommending it to everyone else.

audiofrek19
02-19-2009, 09:25 PM
i have the 90 supercharger not the 94-95 style. i need to get the swap done first cause a lot of people have issues with the swap so i want to get it runnning good with the stock sc and then i figured i would do the sc swap since i wont have to pull everything off. then i will save for the heads and cam.

Jamez
02-20-2009, 11:50 AM
If you're used to driving a bolt-on 3.8, a stock M90 setup will make a world of difference anyways. Best plan so far, get it running right THEN worry about power.

Ira R.
02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
EXACTLY!!!!!

With the right combination of parts, these motors can make pretty impressive numbers without breaking the bank. If everything is matched together you got a kitten that can roar like a lion :D.

Actually Ira, I'm hoping with the right combination I might hit 300rwhp with an "s-port" with only 5% OD on the blower ;).

Fraser

Not sure if 5% will do it, but I haven't tested that theory. It's just a hunch which doesn't mean it won't. Mine made 314rwhp I think it was with the 10% pulley and I haven't had it back on the dyno since we swapped it out for the 5% pulley. You think the difference is as much as 15 horses???

Ira

fturner
02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
Not sure if 5% will do it, but I haven't tested that theory. It's just a hunch which doesn't mean it won't. Mine made 314rwhp I think it was with the 10% pulley and I haven't had it back on the dyno since we swapped it out for the 5% pulley. You think the difference is as much as 15 horses???

Ira

Thats what I'm working on finding out. With help from DD we're exploring some different things ;).

Fraser