Just curious.. EDIS on a 3.8 N/A?

89birdman

Is there anyone out there that has seen this? I gotta stock 3.8 but the difference that i have seen from my t-bird and others is I have an EDIS setup and others run a distributor, don't really know the technical term for that but that's the deal. Stickers under the hood in front of the rad says "this vehicle is equipped with california emmisions". Does this mean good things or bad things or nothing at all?

>I have an EDIS setup and others run a distributor, don't really know the technical term for that

Your EDIA system is 'Distributorless'... as in Electronic Distributorless Ignition System. The car's computer works with the DIS module and various sensors to replace the traditional distributor found in other cars. The DIS module contains transistors that ground the coils which generates the spark, that burns the fuel...in a similar manner where a rotating mechanical distributor would trigger and direct the spark to each spark plug.

'this vehicle is equipped with California emissions'... should indicate the car was configured with an EGR valve and supporting tweaks - 'exhaust gas recirculation' where some of the exhaust gases are fed into the intake tract when the throttle is closed such as when you lift the throttle to change gears, slowdown, etc. The idea is that unburned (versus badly burned) fuel is sent back through the cylinders to hopefully be burned and thereby reduce emissions. Like an other component under the hood, it's a bad thing if it malfunctions :)

In addition to the Thunderbird SC, it would appear, as an example, that an EDIS module/system can also be found in NA Thunderbird LX 1988~1990 models.

Last edited:
The 94-95 California Emissions 3.8L NA MN12's and all 96-97 3.8L NA MN12's received EDIS. The rest of the 3.8L NA MN12's used TFI.

In addition to the Thunderbird SC, it would appear, as an example, that an EDIS module/system can also be found in NA Thunderbird LX 1988~1990 models.

The 89-90 3.8L NA's didn't have EDIS.

Last edited:
The 89-93 SC's ran the DIS system, where the 94/95 SC's received the EDIS system which was the upgrade to the older DIS system.

Fraser

so does this mean this is this a perk or a curse? I had a 93 cougar with TFI system and the rpm's didn't even touch what my 94 t-bird can do, yet power does drop off after 4500 but can go until 5200 when the rev limiter kicks in. :confused:

so does this mean this is this a perk or a curse? I had a 93 cougar with TFI system and the rpm's didn't even touch what my 94 t-bird can do, yet power does drop off after 4500 but can go until 5200 when the rev limiter kicks in. :confused:

DIS replaced TFI as the technology matured. They both rely on at least some electronics to get the spark to the cylinder. TFI was a bag on the side for Ford, at least in Calif. And don't forget that COP today is looking a bit like that episode.

Having a DIS system isn't exactly bragging rights - it is what it is... Twenty year old technology that most SC owners are familiar with. No big deal either way :)

Last edited:
doing a splitport swap, what all does that include? just upper and lower intake of cyl. heads too? What cars have the split port? From what i've read newer mustangs, windstars and f-150's (with a 4.2). anything else I should consider?

You could either swap the heads and intake manifolds from a 99-04 3.8L, or swap the entire engine over from a 99-04 3.8L. Having EDIS already in place is an advantage, as you won't have to deal with distributor/EGR clearance issues or have to go through the hassle of installing EDIS (the route I took). There is a wealth of info on the swap posted over at tccoa.com.

Back