PDA

View Full Version : Lube for cam install

pablon2
02-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a new tube of ARP Moly assembly lube. I originally bought this to use on the ARP headstuds and nuts. Now that I am changing my cam, I figured I'd use this for everything related to the cam install (journals, lobes, spacer, thrust plate, pushrod ends, lifters, etc). Can I use this on the cam lobes as well? Or do I need to buy special lobe lube as I have read in search results?

Young-SC-Owner
02-16-2009, 02:31 PM
I have a new tube of ARP Moly assembly lube. I originally bought this to use on the ARP headstuds and nuts. Now that I am changing my cam, I figured I'd use this for everything related to the cam install (journals, lobes, spacer, thrust plate, pushrod ends, lifters, etc). Can I use this on the cam lobes as well? Or do I need to buy special lobe lube as I have read in search results?

Assembly lube!!

It will work yes

-Tony;)

rzimmerl
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Assembly lube!!

It will work yes

No, see ARP's catalog pg. 86. THESE PRODUCTS ARE FORMULATED FOR FASTENERS. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ROTATING COMPONENTS.

I used regular assembly lube and Lubriplate 105 motor assy. grease.

David Neibert
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I use Comp Cam "Pro Cam Lube" that is designed specifically for the cam...it's redish in color like automatic trans fluid and feels similar to STP oil treatment. Main purpose is to provide extra lubrication at initial start up.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Comp+Cams/753157/10002/-1

David

Ddubb
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, just use that ARP lube on bolts. I use Redline assembly lube for most bearings, etc etc .. for the Camshaft, I use Comp Cams camshaft lube.
I would be more concerned about proper lubrication / break in if it were a brand new Cam.

- Dan

Young-SC-Owner
02-16-2009, 03:07 PM
No, see ARP's catalog pg. 86. THESE PRODUCTS ARE FORMULATED FOR FASTENERS. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ROTATING COMPONENTS.

I used regular assembly lube and Lubriplate 105 motor assy. grease.

I stand Corrected.....

Assembly lube is assembly lube.,......Surprised my chet never failed:eek:

XR7 Dave
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Yeah, just use that ARP lube on bolts. I use Redline assembly lube for most bearings, etc etc .. for the Camshaft, I use Comp Cams camshaft lube.
I would be more concerned about proper lubrication / break in if it were a brand new Cam.

- Dan

It is a brand new cam and no special additives are required on any roller cam. Cam assembly lube is designed for flat tappet cams and should never be used on a roller cam.

CurtisPaulfrey
02-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I just use a warm towel and some magazines......wait what are we talking about :eek:

fturner
02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
I use Lucas Oil Treatment for anything new I install... alot of engine builders use it and they are very happy with it.

I covered the cam I installed with it and primed the new oil pump and so on with it. Started the car and ran it for about 20 minutes with some dyno oil, then dumped it, and put in some synthetic.

Fraser

Mike8675309
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Cam bearings, assembly lube.
roller cam lobes, motor oil.

Note from Comp Cams, their instructions state:

Remove your new COMP CamsŪ camshaft from its packaging. Inspect all lobes and the
distributor gear, making sure the camshaft was not damaged in shipment. Next, compare the stamped
numbers on the end of the cam with the spec card to make sure this is the correct cam. It is a good idea
at this point to lightly wire brush the distributor gear with mineral spirits or an equivalent solvent.
Remember, during the installation process, the cleaner you keep your new components, the better
chance you have of avoiding failure. Using COMP CamsŪ Assembly Lube (part #103) supplied with
your cam, coat all lobes and distributor gear. It is important to coat the lobes completely, yet not
excessively. This same rule applies to the distributor gear and fuel pump lobe. Coat the cam bearing
journals with conventional SAE 30 or 40 wt. oil. Note: We do not recommend the use of synthetic
oils with our cam and lifter packages during break-in.

pablon2
02-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Hmm, this lube seems different? I saw the page you refer to. ARP is contradicting itself bewteen the website annotation and the package details. :rolleyes:

Mike8675309
02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm a bit divided between Dave's statement, as well as something I saw from Comp Cams and others, that roller cams should not have a moly lube on the lobes, yet the Crane cam instructions suggest to use the their lube.

I couldn't find any reason to believe that a moly lube would hurt the roller cam, but to be honest, if you want to know for sure... give the cam company a call on their tech line and ask them directly. It'll be the easy way to be sure.

pablon2
02-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm a bit divided between Dave's statement, as well as something I saw from Comp Cams and others, that roller cams should not have a moly lube on the lobes, yet the Crane cam instructions suggest to use the their lube.

I couldn't find any reason to believe that a moly lube would hurt the roller cam, but to be honest, if you want to know for sure... give the cam company a call on their tech line and ask them directly. It'll be the easy way to be sure.

I guess I'll use whatever comes with the cam on the journals and then Rotella T on the lobes and lifters and valve stems. I also have some Amsoil extreme pressure moly fortified bearing grease here on the shelf. :p

pablon2
03-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Got the usual Sealed Power (Federal Mogul) cam bearings. How can I tell which order the bearings go in? I know #1 and #4 are the same width as are #2 and #3. The PNs on them are different which leads me to believe that the two groups of bearings are not interchangeable amongst themselves.

Mike8675309
03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
I can find this:
E9SZ6261A is the front number
E9SZ6263A is the back number

According to the ford data. No other info found by me.

XxSlowpokexX
03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
use oil..As Dave said roller cams dont need no stinkn moly lube