Does loctite go bad?

ricardoa1

I have an old tube of blue loctite. But I dont want to screw things up. I used it on my cam bolt. The stuff was blue but it had white particles in it. I shook it and used it. But I dont know if I should take it apart and redo with fresh stuff. I am paranoid as some of you know. :eek:

I have an old tube of blue loctite. But I dont want to screw things up. I used it on my cam bolt. The stuff was blue but it had white particles in it. I shook it and used it. But I dont know if I should take it apart and redo with fresh stuff. I am paranoid as some of you know. :eek:

Has a guaranteed shelf life of one year.

I have had some red Loctite go weak after sitting for a while, so I would imagine the same for blue.

The viscosity of the red became very low (runny), no chunks though.

Frosted flakes.

Save the $$.. go buy some frosted flakes and some milk. Mix the milk into the cereal; coat the bolts and let dry. You wouldn't believe how hard that stuff gets.. :rolleyes:

How do you tell how loctite goes bad. It starts out a liquid than drys to lock the threads in a bolt head. Put some on a bolt, install a standard nut, let it dry. If it doesnt do what it is suppose to than its bad

Ken

Or better yet, put some on your tires and let it dry over night... see if the car can move in the morning :).

Fraser

The white particles (hardened loc-tite) will likely get in the way and cause incorrect torque readings. Get the new stuff. make sure the the threads are clean and oil free before applying.

Back