Cam questions....

89birdman

Looking to do a cam upgrade. First question, new cam or regrind? Second, can I get away with keeping *some stock valvetrain components ie. pushrods, springs rockers? third, depending on lift and duration do I HAVE to get a re-burn on my eec. Fourth, INjectors and fuel supply? Thanks guys:eek:

properly pulled off heads and cam can net you an extra 80rwhp

best off just doing it once and doing it right.

change it all

don't regrind get a new cam

I have a stage 1 cam from COMP and use a rebuilt stock valvetrain and do not rev the car over about 5700 RPM. Looking back, I wish i went bigger as my car could make more than 250rwhp with a slightly larger cam. The COMP stage 2 would have been a better choice for my application, little more lift and duration. My car is also purely a street car. As for fuel mods, I run 42lb injectors but I also have a ported 94 blower making 17psi.

properly pulled off heads and cam can net you an extra 80rwhp

best off just doing it once and doing it right.

change it all

don't regrind get a new cam

Whats wrong with a regrind on a mild cam setup? You make it sound like a regrind is useless and won't do anything.

My car is running a regrind and it purr's like a kitten, I get great gas mileage, and the car will get you whiplash with the power its got, and I know I haven't reached the full potential of it, yet :).

Fraser

nothing wrong with a regrind fraser, i didn't mean to come off that way its just that since he wanted an upgraded cam and was questioning his stock valvetrain i figured he wanted to go all out and exceed what a regrind is capable of.

btw fraser... how you like the quarterhorse? I'm trying to dial in my 90mm lmaf on my 351w 5spd bird right now using binary editor. I have a t4m0 ecu swap and its giving me a bit of a fit right now. Shoot me a PM.

Back