SuperCoupe Head Works And Valves Question

lineboy55

OK, so i have decided to take my project to the limits. I am going to take the engine back out and do some more work to it and i need some advice about the heads. Keep in mind, this is only street use, but still love to show off and have the power available
1. The engine is a 1994, fresh overhaul, stage 2 cam from SCPerformance. I believe .460 lift on both exhaust and intake and i installed the scorpion roller rockers.
2. I want to upgrade to an MPX, Intercooler, 45# injectors, bigger fuel pump, 85 mill TB, 80 Mill Mass, and so on.
So, to the heads, I have found the cutaway pictures of the heads here on SCCoA. If i am running an MPX at 15 to 20 percent over drive, should i get bigger valves, go like crazy with the porting, get an even bigger cam? I am not sure what the bottle neck is with this current set up and then after the above mentioned upgrades?
3. I want the under drive pullys and the overdrive pullys for the crank at the same time. I take it that there is no overdrive crank with an underive accessory?
4. Any input on porting my own heads. I am very good with engines and working on them, mechanically inclined, but never have taken the time to port heads. I thought about buying a junk set and trying it out, even cut it in half to see how far i can go with my own eyes.
5. If I am only using this for street, do i need to weld and D shape the exhaust ports? or raise the intake port shelf like some say? Does it really make a big difference?

Sorry this got so long, but lets see what peeps got to say. Thank you for any input

You should set some goals as to what you want for power when done. I saw no mention about the exhaust which is one of the first bottle necks one has to address. If your adding all those mods you should be thinking about 60 lb injectors. All the stuff your adding wont do you a bit of good with out a chip to tune it. You can port your own heads but dont expect a big gain there. I ported mine than sent them to Dave D to install bigger valves. My porting got me minimual gains in flow but adding the bigger valves and oppening the bowl area under the valves gave me about a 30% increase in flow. You will need better valve train components as well to work with the cam. Hope you got a big pocket book;) You can run a 7MM TB and a 76MM MAF unless you plan to get really serious. A raised top is a waste unless you are getting up higher into the 300RWHP. You will have to have a good intercooler to deal with the heat of all the overdrive you want to run or the computer will pull out a ton of timing to keep the motor from blowing up

Ken

.460 lift isn't much cam either. If you want serious power you need around .500 lift or more. My existing cam is .493 lift and and has given me a max of around 330hp at the wheels. My new cam is .570/.579 lift and I'm wanting to get closer to 425hp at the wheels. I would only have an "expert" port the heads, somebody like Dave D who really knows what he is doing. A poorly done port job is just a waste of time and money and will not perform. Porting is both an art and a science as I've learned on my latest motor project and is a lot more than just making the openings bigger.

Back