PDA

View Full Version : Guaging interest on carbon fiber parts

teal945.0
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Gentlemen, I am in negotiation with a carbon fiber manufacturer about many parts for our cars.

I have spoken with them about the following carbon fiber parts and they are ready to make the molds up:

Hoods
Deck lids
SC side skirts and bumper covers
Fenders
4.6l 2v valve covers
Cowl panels
A GOOD cold air kit for the 4.6l cars, both 94-5 and 96-7--do the SC guys need a GOOD CAI kit??

I need to know if there is any interest in these parts, my supplier can have any of these produced in about 4 weeks. I would like to think about a group purchase, it would make your cost lower.

Are there any parts that you would like to see? Interior parts maybe?

XR7-4.6
02-19-2009, 04:47 PM
The fenders would be pretty nice, the steel ones like to rot out up here.

One thing I've always wanted in cf would be the frames for the stock sc seats, that would get rid of a nice chunk of weight without losing the factory look or feel.

Ira R.
02-19-2009, 05:51 PM
A nice fitting hood for the 94/95 models that doesn't have to have a 3" rise in it would be nice. Maybe the trunk lid.

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
02-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I believe on the 94-95

Drivers Door Black Trim Peice By Switches
Gauge Surround
Radio Surround
And shifter surround......5 speed :o)

I think that would be an ultra cool setup

Also I am working on a carputer setup which would require a 7inch LCD screen to be worked into the radio surround along with some othr stuff.

If he were to make a mold for that could he modify the CF for certain specialty applications?

A CF Air intake would be killer as well but there are a few out there already...Not CF though

CF Doors.......Imagine strengt and never having to replace a door hinge again!
Hood.....Would love a 94/95 style hood with only a slight raise for clearence.

Skirts dont weigh all that much nor do fenders however if front fenders were create...Perhaps if they were made to tastefully be able to clear larger tires it would be a good thing....

The interior peice idea I'd go for though..Definitely

ricardoa1
02-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Wide body fender flairs> To tuck in some bigger meats.

RedSC93
02-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Doors :) :)

qc89SC
02-19-2009, 06:27 PM
yeah doors and "big tire fender" would be cool

teal945.0
02-19-2009, 07:48 PM
I believe on the 94-95

Drivers Door Black Trim Peice By Switches
Gauge Surround
Radio Surround
And shifter surround......5 speed :o)

I think that would be an ultra cool setup

Also I am working on a carputer setup which would require a 7inch LCD screen to be worked into the radio surround along with some othr stuff.

If he were to make a mold for that could he modify the CF for certain specialty applications?

A CF Air intake would be killer as well but there are a few out there already...Not CF though

CF Doors.......Imagine strengt and never having to replace a door hinge again!
Hood.....Would love a 94/95 style hood with only a slight raise for clearence.

Skirts dont weigh all that much nor do fenders however if front fenders were create...Perhaps if they were made to tastefully be able to clear larger tires it would be a good thing....

The interior peice idea I'd go for though..Definitely

I only know of 1 CAI for the 96-97 4.6l and the SC cars, are there others?

Any of the interior pieces will not be a problem, including custom pieces.

The side skirts and bumper covers I was thinking because there is not an aftermarket solution, not because of weight

I am a little leery of the doors for a street car, that would be kind of dangerous because there is not a lot of structure. I would recommend them for a drag car though. I will check into this a little more, maybe if there was some type of internal bracing.

teal945.0
02-19-2009, 07:49 PM
The fenders would be pretty nice, the steel ones like to rot out up here.

One thing I've always wanted in cf would be the frames for the stock sc seats, that would get rid of a nice chunk of weight without losing the factory look or feel.

I can find out about the seat frames, you are talking about inside the seat and not the seat tracks right?

teal945.0
02-19-2009, 07:51 PM
A nice fitting hood for the 94/95 models that doesn't have to have a 3" rise in it would be nice. Maybe the trunk lid.

Ira

I was thinking about looking at a 96-97 hood as the first run, to my knowledge they should be the same as the 94-95 just with a bulge to fit the different intake configuration on the V8 cars. Correct me if I am wrong.

ricardoa1
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Headlights are different.

Duffy Floyd
02-19-2009, 08:45 PM
NASCAR Style front end would be nice as a replacement for the front bumper cover. I have pics of the early model version that Ford used to sell but have never been able to find one but, have seen pics of same installed on street cars.

KMT
02-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Dash bezel & trim
Dash vents
Door cups
Door mounted switch bezels & trim plates
Door sills
Rear heater vents
Shifter console (auto for me), cubby etc.
Fog light and ARC switch trim plate
Glove box/door
Front inner kick panels (at lower sides of dash)
Driver foot rest
Moonroof switch plate (early and later styles...early for me)
Moonroof shade/slider
Tilt-steering wheel upper/lower trim covers @ dash
Wiper motor mounting bracket/plate
Cowls (1990 for me)
Upper front shock absorber covers
Header panel
Fan shroud
Radiator/Intercooler mounting frames/brackets
Hood latch panel
Hood latch release rod
Power Control Box lid
DIS cover insert
Coil mounting bracket
Stock air box; upper & lower
License plate mounting panels and brackets/frames
Custom front corner lip spoilers
Cornering lamp bezels
Door mirror housings
Spare tire well cover
3rd/center brake light cover
Fuel door (both finger-pull and glove box button-release types)
Lower vertical air damn

XR7-4.6
02-19-2009, 11:27 PM
I can find out about the seat frames, you are talking about inside the seat and not the seat tracks right?

Yup, just the frames in the seat bottoms and seat backs.

XxSlowpokexX
02-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Yes a carbon fiber door would need to be structurally supported. It may be to much of a hassle for a street version using all factory hardware which is what i would want.

Mike Puckett
02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
I'd be interested in a rear deck lid. I believe John Temple still has the door molds for sale he made a few sets of composite doors with.

teal945.0
02-22-2009, 11:15 AM
I'd be interested in a rear deck lid. I believe John Temple still has the door molds for sale he made a few sets of composite doors with.

The deck lids should be the same for all years correct?

Mike Puckett
02-22-2009, 11:34 AM
There are 2 types of tail light reflector shapes from early model to later models and they don't quite match up.

92sclikenew
02-23-2009, 04:26 PM
There are 2 types of tail light reflector shapes from early model to later models and they don't quite match up.

89-91one kind 92-what93 one kind and then 94-95another kind. so i add that up to 3 unless you changed the deck lid lights.:eek::D

Kurt K
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
89-91one kind 92-what93 one kind and then 94-95another kind. so i add that up to 3 unless you changed the deck lid lights.:eek::D
Umm, not exactly.

89-91, trunk lid same
92-97, trunk lid same, although LED taillights could be different.

XR7-4.6
02-23-2009, 04:53 PM
The decklids are exactly the same from 92-97, there are no differences in the lights either(though the 97 lights are said to be more orange).

Mercutio
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
The decklids are exactly the same from 92-97, there are no differences in the lights either(though the 97 lights are said to be more orange).

Well that's not totally accurate..95 and earlier LX cars had the bottom of the taillight blacked out with a Thunderbird LX script on the driver side taillight. Only in 96-97 did the LX get the 92-95 SC taillights.

I'd be all over a stock, bolt-on style decklid, maybe some flared front fenders and bolt on/ flares for the rear wheel arches. I already have a stock 96 style fiberglass hood, but it weighs around 30 pounds and if there were some real weight savings involved I might do STOCK APPEARING CF hood, too.

Ira R.
02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
NASCAR Style front end would be nice as a replacement for the front bumper cover. I have pics of the early model version that Ford used to sell but have never been able to find one but, have seen pics of same installed on street cars.

oh yea! +1 I would be in for that. Maybe that style spoiler attached to the CF deck lid as well.

Ira

XxSlowpokexX
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
CF nascar wing..the lil one would be cool

XR7-4.6
02-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Well that's not totally accurate..95 and earlier LX cars had the bottom of the taillight blacked out with a Thunderbird LX script on the driver side taillight. Only in 96-97 did the LX get the 92-95 SC taillights.

Ah yes I forgot include those, the all red tails look so much better I just blocked them from my memory lol

Nettlesd
02-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Cold Air Intake. There are several out there to pattern it off of. Heck, I bet some of the SC vendors would pick that up to sell.

392Bird
02-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Trunk lid and rear fenders with flared openings to work with 335 street tires and 12 inch wide slicks would be nice.

Ddubb
02-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Did you say Pics ??? :D

- Dan

Duffy Floyd
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
This is the modified NASCAR front end installed on the Bonneville SC. The lower extension that rode almost at ground level is not installed. The front end was modified from what Ford Motorsports sold so the headlights were still "usable" so the car would still be able to run in the stock bodied class at Bonneville. Also the extension was an add-on as well.

ricardoa1
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
very cool.....

Any side pics? or

Duffy Floyd
02-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Pic with extension installed.

Mike Puckett
02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
That may be a problem at the drag races. At NHRA sanctioned dragstrips the air dam must have at least 3" ground clearance. I got gigged for that once.

Duffy Floyd
02-24-2009, 11:38 PM
The Bonneville SC had been lowered as well as being run with an extension. Also never said it was directed toward those that drag race. There are still folks interested in twisties.:)

Belisarius
02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
I'd be interested in a 94/95 CF hood and trunk lid both as stock in appearance as possible.

I'd also be interested in a trunk lip spoiler, similar to the one on the Boneville car pictured above with the idea being to keep the airflow attached to the trunk and leave off the back end of the car without increasing drag. It might also be cool/possible to take off the radius on the trailing edge of the trunk and incorporate a lip spoiler in the design.

Without a wing or spoiler on the trailing edge of our trunks the airflow will create drag when the air slides over the edge of the trunk and doesn't cleanly detach from the trunk lid before getting to the bumper. With a lip spoiler the air flowing over the roof will cleanly flow off the trailing edge of the trunk spoiler.

The factory spoiler, because it sticks up into the air flow, increases drag and, depending on the flow of the wing, may not create that much downforce.

winky
03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
hood,trunk, front fenders

maybe made for a tilt frontend

skydivr7673
03-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I would like to see a 94-95 style rear bumper cover, since these are about nonexistent these days. I am not usually too much into interior CF pieces, but the aftermarket dual guage pod that mounts on the A-pillar would look sweet in cf I think.

Belisarius
03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
So has interest been gauged? Will there be any carbon fiber parts made? Inquiring minds want to know.

teal945.0
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Yea, it's been gauged. Interest is all over the place. There has been the most interest in deck lids, fenders and miscellaneous interior pieces.

The interest was only 5-8 people for the items listed above. I was really trying to get around 20 people together to get the best pricing. I am not sure if that was wishful thinking or the disposable income is not there right now or what.

Unfortunately I lost employment since I started this thread. I am still in contact with the manufacturer and really want to get some of these products made, even if only for my car. The problem is that I will have to front the money to get the prototype part made and ensure fitment and that type of thing. Some of these parts will happen, they will just take a little more time than I had expected. I will be working on it to get some of them out by the summer.

TbirdSCFan
03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
For me, I'd want to start with the two things that would provide the greatest benefit which would be the hood and deck lid. But I'd like to know how much these high tech goodies would cost.

I think you'll find there is plenty of interest as long as this is a wish-list conversation. When the actual $$ kick in, I think you'll find the interest fall off rapidly. :rolleyes: Let me put a number out there for you.. Since I'm into fix up on my track car for faster lap times, but I do it only for fun, I probably wouldn't spend more than $1000 for both items.

teal945.0
03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
The hood will probably come in around 800 and the deck lid around 600. I think I gave estimates earlier in the thread I think.

If I could get a run of around 20-25 people I could get those prices down maybe $100.