1 or 2 ABS relays? And what's this?? (pic)

TheDog

Of course my ABS is toast and I'm looking into the relay(s). There's 2 side by side on the passenger firewall. Are they both ABS?? They look to have the same pinout. However the outter wall of the connector seems to be a tiny bit different than the other and I can't seem to swap them around. What i sill say is the female side of the connectors look like hell. Looks like water got all up into them. They're all green and corroded BADLY. Think of a nasty corroded battery connector. I wonder if this could be the/a problem of my ABS (Pedal's on the floor firm). What can I use to clean this up? I have a wire brush but I don't think that'll get down in there. WD40?
Also what is this connector in the pic? I can't find a mate to it and it's all gummed up so it looks like it's been disconnected for a while. This is located by the ABS relays and the hook hydraulic.

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 214
Yes there are two ABS Relays. One (the brown based one if stock) is for the ABS Pump Motor. The other one is for the ABS System itself.

I don't recognize the other connector you are showing off the top of my head. Perhaps others might know.

You can buy contact cleaner at Radio Shack or another electronics type store. Some have a wire brush end (brass like material) that can be used to scrub while you flush the area with the cleaner. Disconnect your battery though before doing anything electrical like this. Also check your AntiLock Fuse in the Primary Junction box inside your passenger compartment as well as the ABS MOD and ABS MTR fuses in the Power Distribution Box in your engine bay.

See the pic for relay types/locations (note there are two related to the ABS & you may or may not have the third one for A/C WOT cut-out):
attachment.php

My car has the same unused EGR related gummed-up connector - I ignore it as part of the harness that doesn't apply since mine doesn't have EGR.

If a relay connector is significantly corroded, you might consider replacing it - why bother to try to save it - they are usually available from most auto supply stores, RockAuto, etc...very common.

This is a link to a detailed troubleshooting process...

Last edited:
The ABS pump Relay is easily gotten.. Also it's not a typical Automotive style Relay as in how the contacts/connectors are..

Ok thank you Duffy, KMT, and 91XR7. The diagram really helps. I have no idea how they got that corroded. Looks like my car's been sitting in the 9th Ward of New Orleans. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a loose connector like that.
Does anybody know if the measurments on the outside diameter of either relay is slightly different or same?

I was under the impression that the EGR (DPFE) control looked like this:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35086&d=1226461744[IMG][IMG]http://www.autozone.com/images/products/wl2/wl2su240003.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The DPFE does, but not the EGR vacuum regulator.

Back