Ditching v6, looking at V8 of another breed.

89birdman

I know this may sound blasphemous on this site but......
I want to do a V8 swap. The motors i am looking at are a Chevy 350 OR a carburated FORD 302. Good idea, bad idea, gimme input.

i've seen a 350 in a fox bird... why not? whatever floats ya boat...

hell... we've seen a supra powered sc...

302 or 351w

Hello

A 302 or 351w engine will bolt to your current trany.
Mounts from a 91-93 T-bird will work.

I currently run a 351W in my 90. 1/2 mile oval track car.

Paul

thats the thing, I have a 94' t-bird with an aode. will it still work? I found a 302 that came out of a 82 bronco that still runs. It has a carb on it so eec wiring harness wont be a pain.

Not to mention that 1982 302 is about 190hp...Not worth it...AT ALL!! I would install something with E7TZ heads (87-95 HO) at the very least. Even then though ut will be slower than an SC.

been a long time since if seen it but before i went in the navy had a guy around here with a 94 mustang, he got a new cobra motor had some work done to it and stuck in a Paxton SC, did some tranny work and suspension. he showed me the track slips of running 9.81 in 1/4 mile. He drove that to work everyday for about 3 months before i left for boot.

If you're going to do a V8 swap and looking at other makes, it would be hard to beat one of Chevy's LSx type engines. Hell, the dime-a-dozen 5.3L (327ci) in a C1500 is over 300hp and they just go up from there. You can even run them carbureted if that's what you're after.

I agree with the LS1 swap idea. You know, there was someone who posted on here a while back (or on TCCoA) about swapping in a Chevy motor. I think he used a Buick transmission to make it work. I don't remember all the details.

hmm... suggestions are interesting. SC 302? I actually found a 351w that has a manual put behind it, hmm i shall do more research.

a guy here swapped a 351 windsor in his cougar ls with a m5r2 5-speed.

worked pretty damn well, and was torquey enough to want to jump the rollers at the dyno... i was videotaping... ;) :D

i say go for an fe engine if you're gonna do it... for sheer simplicity.

and also... they used the 4r70 transmission in the 94+ auto birds... surprised noone caught that.

Why is there so much talk about engine swaps and stand alone computers to make the trans work....A SBC + a glide would be a nice combo and you wouldn't feel bro raped after your car came off the rollers....it made me sell my setup...its irritating.

I love that these little 3.8s CAN be fast but I'm burned out, there are much cheaper options that will run a number, if you need a DD buy a Civic if you need a race car pic a body style you like (in my case the SC) and put a blown V8 in it

a guy here swapped a 351 windsor in his cougar ls with a m5r2 5-speed.

worked pretty damn well, and was torquey enough to want to jump the rollers at the dyno... i was videotaping... ;) :D

i say go for an fe engine if you're gonna do it... for sheer simplicity.

and also... they used the 4r70 transmission in the 94+ auto birds... surprised noone caught that.

i've done that. 351W m5r2. if you go 350 chev, im sure you can strap a t5 to that. camero's come with that tranny. you will need the chevy bell housing and yir golden. if you post this on tccoa, you wont get very far and i would be sayin ibtl lol. but it seems people on this forum are just as currious as us to see this get done- minus the fact you can get the same results as a ford engine.

my 351W is carbed. im not on these forums as much as i used to be but i will give you as much help as i can

Back