Timing help.

suprared89

Guys,
This may seem like a stupid question, but..... What controls timing on our cars? I have exhausted all other possibilities with my nightmare.
At idle in gear it sounds/feels like the timing gets retarded. Makes the car run rough/miss.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The computer controls timing so there is nothing you can do to change that. Broken balancers do cause retarded timing, but normally retarded timing does not cause a miss. I'd look for a vacuum leak instead.

I have tried EVERYTING I can think of. I have checked all vacuum lines/intercooler and lines with carb cleaner and propane. I have replaced the following... egr, iac, tps, plugs, wires, hego's, fuel injectors and regulator, fuel pump, lowered exhaust to see if cats were clogged,cam sensor... crank sensor appears ok, no play or movement in balancer. coolant temp sensor for eec,
The car is a 95 auto with approx. 125000 miles. Runs like a champ off idle. At idle runs rough/misfire. No codes. I have a ford NGS scanner. I have run cylider balance tests all pass.
Come to think of it... When I do the KOER or cylinder balance test, I did notice that when it asks to do the "perform brief wide open throttle" it will hesitate/miss when I do that. Otherwise it will accelerate perfectly.
Any thoughts???
I really need help here. I am about to give it up if I can't get this fixed.

If you really think that it's retarded timing, you need to remove the main attaching bolt on the balancer and check for play. The 95's were notorious for breaking, turning, and not showing any outward signs of failure. Timing checks will not show anything wrong. Many times when the attaching bolt is removed the pulley simply falls off in your hands.

When it is idling rough, what kind of 02 sensor voltages do you see? What are the fuel trims doing and what is commanded spark?

Check to make sure the little wires are not durty on your mass airflow sensor. Remove the sensor from the housing and look at the wires on the side that face the airfilter. You will see black build up. I spray mine with brake clean and then blow them dry. Many might say that is bad for them, i have not had a problem though.

Last edited:
Back