ABS sensor removal

kennyo

The ABS sensors are stuck in my spindles. I'm upgrading the brakes and spindles. Any tricks to getting these out without tearing them up? Thanks.

The ABS sensors are stuck in my spindles. I'm upgrading the brakes and spindles. Any tricks to getting these out without tearing them up? Thanks.
Soak them in liquid wrench for a day or 2 and the only other thing I can suggest it to heat up the spindle with a torch a bit and tap on the sensor housing. I couldn't get my old set out (turns out I didn't need to, but alas.. :rolleyes: ) and ended up just pounding it into crumbs of plastic and metal. :rolleyes:

When I did the upgrade, it just didnt seem right to do all that work and not change the sensors. FWIW

Matt

I have used a small socket that fits over the small plastic sensor part and fits inside of the hole for the sensor. Tap gently and you can sucessfully remove them. Don't forget to remove the bolt on the backside before you start tapping. The penetrant is a good idea before starting.

I have used a small socket that fits over the small plastic sensor part and fits inside of the hole for the sensor. Tap gently and you can sucessfully remove them. Don't forget to remove the bolt on the backside before you start tapping. The penetrant is a good idea before starting.

Don't lie George - you beat it to death too! ;):D

The socket is a good idea, but I think on the one I tried to remove that there was no way to remove it without damaging it. I might have even used a socket (it's been awhile), but I know I used penetrating oil. I guess if it ever comes up that I need to change one again, I'll have some more ideas.

I forget how the spindle is contoured in that spot, but a socket with a big C-clamp might be more effective - if you can get it to fit.

Back