moates quarterhorse

There's already full support for the Quarterhorse for the SC's now ;).

Its very slick working with it.

Fraser

I'm confused here..... :confused:

QuarterHorse.jpg

Thomas

Qh

With Quarterhorse, all you need is the stock bin for your specific computer, or something pretty close. Then have fun.

Travis

i seen it the other day when i was browsing the moates site.

its on my to get list soon as tax return comes through

An update to whats on the site, as it was a last second change. The QH will handle multiple tunes, and can be switch both by a switch wired into the QH and using software such as BinaryEditor.

The only program out there that has support for the SC's at this time is Binary Editor.

Fraser

With Quarterhorse, all you need is the stock bin for your specific computer, or something pretty close. Then have fun.

Travis

Not exactly. You still need the software to run it (BE) and the definition files that tell it what to do with your "stock bin" (see Frit).

Moates.Net

'File Uploads and Downloads'
Files Available for upload or download including stock binaries, custom bins, datastream definitions, source code, etc.

Please note that a pseudo-username and password is needed to access the file area. Use the following text (not your actual username/password!) for general access:
User = moatesuser
Password = moatespassword

http://www.moates.net/fileman/

Be

Sorry

I thought I mentioned BE....anyways seems like a super good product. I have always loved supercharged MN12. I have owned three. IMHO the turbo cars where easier to deal with. Now with this hardware/software, im looking to change that.

Travis

So I'm curious, the eec editor won't support the SC mapping? I played with the eec editor software to see just what you could adjust, and was pretty impressed, albeit, a few yrs ago, but it seemed promising.

As far as the stock bin or a binary to go off of, if you have a chip already on the expansion port, that is a standard chip that could go into a chipper/reader, couldn't you pull the information and use that info as a starting point, or is the info on the chip for the expansion port just piggybacking its way in?

I ask because I use the Ostrich and the Burn1 along with the LM2/RPM converter setup for my honda tuning and it works out great. And if adapting this stuff to tune my SC is an option, I'll definately go that route.

And Thomas, thats funny. That your idea of an extra horse power?

Last edited:
Qh

QH doesnt read the current tune of the factory chip. I guess the whole idea of this chip is to leave the stock ecu alone. I would suppose because it is so limited in the eec-4. Side note, QH also does eec-5.

On the software front, im not sure which ones are supported. I know of Binary Editor.

Travis

The only software out there that has the information to support our cars is BinaryEditor. This is the work I've been doing for the last year to decode all the programming in the EEC's and figure out all the settings, as well as where values are stored to datalog them.

While EEC Editor was an option I looked at, I was concerned about its stability as it kept crashing on me. Also it had no means of protecting the definition information from "pirates" and stealing it. I've had several occasions of people "borrowing" the work I've done and claim it for themselves. We're talking 100's of hours of work building these definitions.

I also have a couple of projects on the go to interface with the QH using datalogging tools people are familiar with and I'm hoping to have initial releases in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned :D.

The strategy definitions that are used with our cars are the following...

GURE - 1989/1990 (these will cover the 89/90 SC'd Cougars as well)
GSALC - 1991
GSALI - 1992/1993
CZAW0 - 1994/1995

While the QH gives you almost all the information you need to "tune" your car, you also at the minimal need a WideBand O2 sensor and I suggest the Innovate LC1.

You need to start with a stock bin file that matches the calibration code for your car, such as C0S, L0E1, M2Y, or T4J1 and so on. I've managed to grab some of them I've had access to, and when I come across another code, I'll grab it and will have it online. If you can't find one, generally you can use one of the other calibrations that are close to your own, such as using C0S in a 90 auto car. Just ask.

Fraser

So I'm curious, the eec editor won't support the SC mapping? I played with the eec editor software to see just what you could adjust, and was pretty impressed, albeit, a few yrs ago, but it seemed promising.

As far as the stock bin or a binary to go off of, if you have a chip already on the expansion port, that is a standard chip that could go into a chipper/reader, couldn't you pull the information and use that info as a starting point, or is the info on the chip for the expansion port just piggybacking its way in?

I ask because I use the Ostrich and the Burn1 along with the LM2/RPM converter setup for my honda tuning and it works out great. And if adapting this stuff to tune my SC is an option, I'll definately go that route.

And Thomas, thats funny. That your idea of an extra horse power?

Since you have a Burn1 already, get the Ford based adapters for it and you can grab the tune off of the chip. The Burn1 can read several different chip types from other folks. Contact me for some more info if you want.

With the QH, the only other thing you need for your car is a Wideband, as the QH will give you everything else you need.

Fraser

Since you have a Burn1 already, get the Ford based adapters for it and you can grab the tune off of the chip. The Burn1 can read several different chip types from other folks. Contact me for some more info if you want.

With the QH, the only other thing you need for your car is a Wideband, as the QH will give you everything else you need.

Fraser

Just to be clear, because we seem to have conflicting information here, what do people need to tune?

If you buy a QH, what do you do, just plug it in?

No, you need a couple other things.

1) You need Binary Editor - $80

2) You need a BIN file - free, download your own off your EEC or find one online. Be aware than an online version may or may not be the original file! If you want to download your own you'll need the F2A and F2E adapters with Burn 1 from Moates.

3) You need a DEF file. This is the hard part and none of this works without a DEF file. This is the file that tells the software what everything is and where to find it. Fraser has developed the DEF files for SC's and you'll have to see him for DEF files that support the QH.

I'm not saying any of this is terribly difficult, but it seems there is confusion about how this works and people should know that the QH does not come with the software necessary to tune an SC.

I'll hopefully get the updated defs uploaded this evening.

Fraser

I sent you a PM the other day....

I'll get you that bin file today or tomorrow.:)

Oh and as a side note....my Z1Z2 computer doesn't have any of those components that I need to bend out of the way as shown in the mustang computers. It's pretty much bare in the spot that the QH needs to go. ::Thumbs up::

Last edited:
I'll hopefully get the updated defs uploaded this evening.

Fraser

Are you charging for these defs or not? If you are giving us all these things as a freeby, you are awesome! If not, it's still pretty awesome that you figured it all out...

Also, what does it take to get the wideband to be read by the QH?

Are you charging for these defs or not? If you are giving us all these things as a freeby, you are awesome! If not, it's still pretty awesome that you figured it all out...

Also, what does it take to get the wideband to be read by the QH?

Nothing is free in life. Fraser spent a lot of time on this stuff. I'm sure he can answer any pricing questions, but in the meantime, check out his website www.sctuning.net. All def. files need to be licensed, and I believe if you bought them in the past, you are covered.

As for the wideband, the QH will not read it directly unless you plumb it into the EGR input on the computer and log a 0-5v signal and have a transfer function to represent it as AFR or Lambda.

He is working on the EEK Datalogger which will be able to read QH outputs into logworks for datalogging.

Back