PDA

View Full Version : sears ##$%^ my car, help!!

89tird
02-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I just finished installing two new rear brake disks and pads, damn thing was a mission had to turn the piston with channel locks and a c clamp, my question is i test drove the car around the block for 5 minutes came back parked it, decided to touch the disks and the front left is cold, the back left is hot, the back right is cold and the front right is hot, so what does that mean? the two Front brakes got good pad left.

i openED the bleeder on the back two but kinda bled them?? any suggEstions

KMT
02-26-2009, 10:04 PM
I just finished installing two new rear brake disks and pads, *** thing was a mission had to turn the piston with channel locks and a c clamp, my question is i test drove the car around the block for 5 minutes came back parked it, decided to touch the disks and the front left is cold, the back left is hot, the back right is cold and the front right is hot, so what does that mean? the two Front brakes got good pad left.

i openED the bleeder on the back two but kinda bled them?? any suggEstions

Any (ABS) related dash lights on? Did you bleed the rears with the key on?

Thomas A
02-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Why would you open the bleeders to replace the pads/rotors?

Thomas

89tird
02-26-2009, 10:22 PM
no lights, did not bleed with key on :rolleyes:..

I opened the bleeders because it made it easier to rotate the piston, its hard to believe that the stock rotors and pads from 1993 still had some material left:eek:

89tird
02-26-2009, 11:44 PM
forgot to add that the brakes that got hot , got really hott couldnt even touch them after 5 minutes there was also smoke coming off it, I didnt use any lube on the brakes.. did I have to ?

Duffy Floyd
02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like the caliper sliders are not allowing the calipers to move. Remove them...clean them reinstall.

89tird
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
ohh good to know the chiltons manual didnt say anything about that, any type og grease will do ?

Duffy Floyd
02-26-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Temp brake grease

89tird
02-26-2009, 11:57 PM
cool thanks man will try this tomorrow:D

None2Slow
02-27-2009, 01:49 AM
But not on the rotors, only on the caliper pins themselves. Use some brake cleaner on the pins and holes and then make sure they are free of any debris. Maybe use scotchbrite on them to get the tuff stuff off. Also, did you clean the rotors before installing them? They have an oil type coating on them for storage that has to be cleaned off before you use them.

89tird
02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Ya i used brake clean on the rotors

Ddubb
02-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Did you do any "break in" procedure, or just drive around like normal ?

- Dan

franky_402
02-27-2009, 04:16 PM
its even possible now that the pads that were sticking could be glazed as well, you might need to resurface them!!!

89tird
02-27-2009, 10:21 PM
Just drove around kind of hard.

glazed??

Ddubb
02-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Just drove around kind of hard.

glazed??

Yeah, that probably wasnt the best idea. Youre supposed to take it easy and give them time to cool down when you break them in properly, or they can warp, etc ..

- Dan

89tird
03-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok didnt feel like getting dirty tonight , dropped off the car at sears , the guy drove it around and told me that the master cylinder was bad he said that theres two o rings inside of it and the first one fails but the last one doesnt so you get brakes with the pedal all the way down.

he took off the wheels and and shook the disks and they move back and forth freely, so he said the calipers werent sticking..

So they qouted me on $205 to replace the master cylinder and bleed the system. labor and parts.

they were qouting me $250 to replace all 4 calipers with pads and bleed.

did I get raped with the price on the master cylinder ?

Duffy Floyd
03-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Well...if they are really going to replace the master cylinder (called a Hydrauilic Actuator Assembly on a 89 SC with a Teves Mark II ABS System) then you would be getting a good deal for sure. A reman unit costs over $700. My take is the guy has no idea what he is talking about. I am afraid if you actually try and take them up on the deal they will be changing their tune REAL quick.

When you bleed the brakes did you do the rears with the key on?????? Did you get a good bleed on the fronts too?

89tird
03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Sorry its a 93sc, no I did a quick bleed without power and not the front, should have read the manual :rolleyes: , I thing the master could be bad because the reservoir would get low on fluid sometimes and there was no leaks anywere, the only leak i have is from the EVO sensor on the PS pump. the pedal goes almost all the way down.

Duffy Floyd
03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Well...a 93 and up SC is a different story. That is a Teves Mark VI system. But to bleed the brakes properly you need a special tool to plug into ABS System to make the pump run and the solenoid valves cycle. Given you have I presume had the systrm open during your pad replacement (cracked the bleeders or such to push back the pistons on the fronts or turn them back for the rears) I would still have the system bleed properly before making any assumptions as to problems.

89tird
03-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Ford should have this tool right ?? any idea how much the dealer charges to bleed the brakes :confused:, if they know how to do it properly :rolleyes:

KMT
03-02-2009, 11:59 PM
Ford should have this tool right ?? any idea how much the dealer charges to bleed the brakes :confused:, if they know how to do it properly :rolleyes:

After swapping in a fresh ARC pressure switch myself, I had a local Ford dealer bleed my 1990 SC ABS last year and paid $75.00. (1 hour rate).

Job was done right except that the brake fluid reservoir was completely full when they were done. I decided not to trust them again and siphoned off the extra pint myself. Brakes are working great.

89tird
03-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Hmm i guess i could try the stealership after sears is done.

lineboy55
03-03-2009, 12:45 AM
I sent you a PM

Thomas A
03-03-2009, 12:49 AM
I would run from Sears as fast as you can. I used to work there....

Thomas

lineboy55
03-03-2009, 12:54 AM
If you thread the calipers in all the way, sometimes you have to pull the ebrake a couple time to reset the calipers against the pads. Also, when you rotated the caliper piston, did you make sure that one of the dimples lined of with the dimple sticking out of the brake pad. Also, now that you opened the bleaders, have your buddy step on the brake, open the bleeder and when the pedal hits the floor, close the bleeder and then have your buddy let the peddal back up AFTER you close the bleeder. Make sure your slides are lubed, pull them out of the rubber boots to clean them off and then use CALIPER SLIDE GREASE available at any partstore, and also clean the surface where the break pad slides on the caliper bracket, you can install small amount of grease there also.;)

KMT
03-03-2009, 01:54 AM
Hmm i guess i could try the stealership after sears is done.

Sears politely refused to touch the ABS, even just to do the bleeding. Same w/Midas.

I did have Sears do an alignment (4 wheel) and that was worth the money.

KMT
03-03-2009, 01:57 AM
If you thread the calipers in all the way, sometimes you have to pull the ebrake a couple time to reset the calipers against the pads. Also, when you rotated the caliper piston, did you make sure that one of the dimples lined of with the dimple sticking out of the brake pad. Also, now that you opened the bleaders, have your buddy step on the brake, open the bleeder and when the pedal hits the floor, close the bleeder and then have your buddy let the peddal back up AFTER you close the bleeder. Make sure your slides are lubed, pull them out of the rubber boots to clean them off and then use CALIPER SLIDE GREASE available at any partstore, and also clean the surface where the break pad slides on the caliper bracket, you can install small amount of grease there also.;)

Note that bleeding the ABS rears should be done with key on and a light touch on the pedal. It can take several attempts to completely purge the system. Best to find a dealer that is familiar with and willing to touch the Teves system.

Duffy Floyd
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
KMT,

What is the basis for your statement that rear brakes have to be bleed with the ignition key on for a 93 SC with Teves Mark IV ABS System?

KMT
03-03-2009, 12:01 PM
KMT,

What is the basis for your statement that rear brakes have to be bleed with the ignition key on for a 93 SC with Teves Mark IV ABS System?

Ah yes, MK IV, as you said, "Well...a 93 and up SC is a different story. " My mistaken oversight for sure. Now where is that THEXTON 133 TEVES Mark IV Brake Bleeder.......

89tird
03-03-2009, 07:59 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad:, just came back from sears , left my car there again when I went to pick it up looked under the hood and saw a new master cylinder and the fluid was new and full, drove it off, like 5 minutes after driving the car stopped, I could only move it giving it tons of gas, I pulled over and all the brake disks were hot, so I called them and told the manager about it , he told me that the two rims in the front are too wide and that they rub (cobra 17's 255 50 17) I told them the tires rub on the spindle but only when I turn tight..but that wouldnt stop the car from moving :mad:, and I drove it to sears the first day and now it doesnt drive.. I let the brakes cool a lil and drove it back to sears at 2000 rpm almost into boost at like 5 mph.. when I got down it smelled burnt and the two rear disks were blue :eek: from the heat..

Different mechanic that did the job came out and loosened the master cylinder from the booster, the car immediately moved freely.. so he goes and tells the manager that they problably installed the wrong master from a regular thunderbird. the manager calls advance auto and supposidely they say its the same..

I need some help,, is a master cylinder from a regular tbird same as a Supercoupe. ?? does my car has ABS for sure ?? 93SC.. should I try to make them change the rear pads and disks since they got soo blue and hot.. did I mess up anything driving it back ?

thats why i always try to work on my own cars .. I was stupid to let sears work on it

Duffy Floyd
03-03-2009, 11:06 PM
All SC's came with ABS. Assuming yours has not been changed you have ABS. The master cylinder from a non-ABS T Bird is not the same as the one with ABS. As to which one was installed on your car????? Who knows??????

Mike8675309
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
When you replace a master cylinder, you also need to match the push rod length. usually the push rod on the master cylinder is adjustable. It should be adjusted so that there is a few hundredths of clearance between the push rod and the pedal lever.

If they loosen the master cylinder, and things are better, I'd say the push rod length is wrong, so that when it's installed, the brakes are already partially applied.

Note that the master cylinder is listed at the same for the SC and LX, as long as it's the ABS master cylinder. The ABS master is different than the Non ABS master cylinder.

This is 93 only that I looked up.

89tird
03-03-2009, 11:49 PM
awesome thanks guys... the first thing the guy tried to do was to adjust the pushrod but when he pulled the master cylinder he said that the pushrod on this car didnt have an adjustment:confused:.. I got the part numbers for the master cylinders and im going to compare tomorrow with the one they installed.

frdlvr30
03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Next time just drop it off at 7-11 or maybe Hardees and ask them to fix your car. You will have the same results as dropping it off at Sears or Pep boys or something...
How did they come up with a bad master??

89tird
03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
:oLol .. I think the master is good just that the pushrod is too far out... Anybody have a write up on how to adjust it??

Young-SC-Owner
03-04-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't understand why you didn't listen to us when we said to NOT bring it to Sears......

People tell you this because of the "been there, done that"...

Now you went there and they screwed your ride....I cant feel sympathy

What you needed to do was SLOW DOWN and chill out, these guys here know what there talking about...It may have taken a day to get answers from the guys here, OR you could have googled it and found out how to PROPERLY bleed the system, you rushed it...It got fudd up...You said you were bringing it to sears, we said NO...you did..cars jacked up...life, laugh, learn

Sit back, take it to the dealer OR someone else reputable for doing good work that is familiar with the TEVES system. Get it fixed right and learn from this...
These cars are picky in their old age.

-Tony

89tird
03-04-2009, 12:46 AM
It was already at sears before anybody said anything, but yea i was stupid and lazy and should have done it myself like everything else.

Young-SC-Owner
03-04-2009, 12:54 AM
It was already at sears before anybody said anything, but yea i was stupid and lazy and should have done it myself like everything else.

I got ya, i thought you took it there AFTER we said something........My bad!

Thomas A
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM
I would run from Sears as fast as you can. I used to work there....

Thomas

Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. Sorry to hear about the car. I would get them to pay for new pad/rotors, since the ones on your car are now junk. And no, I didn't work in the auto department, but I was there enough to see what went on.

Thomas

89tird
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Brought the car back home.. the rear pads and disks are problably shot since they look bluish around the area of the brake pad but I wasnt going to sit there and make them change it touching my car again.:eek:.

atleast it stops better, theres some spongy feel but not too bad.. They had installed the wrong master cylinder non abs..

I think if I adjust the booster the pushrod some they will be better

Duffy Floyd
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Might want to ask them how they bleed the brakes. If they did not use the Ford or Thexton tool they screwed that up too and it needs to be redone.

89tird
03-04-2009, 10:09 PM
will the pedal get lower as time goes on if they didnt bleed them right ? because right now its preety good.

Duffy Floyd
03-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Unknown depends on how much air there is, if you have any other leaks and where the bubbles end up....but your ABS may or may not be functional if the brakes aren't bleed properly.