"vista" sunroof installation on our cars?

Bacondoggy

I know this would probably be pretty expensive, but my sunroof is pretty much shot (sunroof ring is falling apart, doesn't work half the time, leaks air due to worn plastic pieces). And since it is an aftermarket roof, I was thinking about getting another one. My question is (with modifying obviously) would one of the "vista" roofs work on our cars? I know there are different sizes, and one would have to take into consideration the size, and also if the shape (I don't know if there is a "bubble" to them or not, I kinda doubt it. The larger one looks like there would be too many issues putting it in, but if you look at the second picture, the sunroof in the back looks decent (not as small as normal ones, but not overly huge either). Has anyone ever attempted this? I assume I will have to get someone else (who knows who) to help me or just have them install it, but it would be pretty cool... any ideas/comments?

fmc_07edge_vista1.jpg

1804372095_08e2fdcd0d.jpg

....but as you can see here, they are freaking EXPENSIVE (better to find one at a junkyard maybe)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
back in '07 i was looking at the ones going into the moo-stangs and the like. they aren't all that expensive and the guys that install them only have the car for a day or so. i can't remember which car magazine i was looking at tho. i looked at alot of magazines while i was in da sand box that year!
overall, i'd say it'd look brilliant!

yeah if I could find one of those (or a mustang one) for a reasonable price, I would be interested... I need to get my car painted, I am not sure where to get that done at :( - also not sure what to do first...

nice read. Anyone have any idea what would be an affordable oversized glass roof? Alot seem expensive, and alot of the newer cars seem to have roofs that are "rounded" and I do not know if it would fit on/into our roofs...

I never really got to do research on this, but I have a press release document from a company that makes these vista roofs (bought it on ebay) which showcases the prototype tbird with this vista roof. This, i believe, was back in 91. As we all know, this never made it into production, but it just goes to show you how long ago they might have been toying with this idea. I gotta see if I can find the pic I saved, or maybe scan the original. The guinny pig wasnt an SC, probably a base model tbird.

I think that we have an opportunity here to make this possible for our cars. Since I want to replace the sunroof I have, and want to go with a larger option - it seems to me that this hasn't been tried or done before with our cars. I just dont want to spend large amounts of money on a sunroof, only to spendMORE money, and not have it work out. Since I have a "hole" cut out in my roof, and need a new sunroof anyways.... why not do it? any help here?

negative ghostrider

#1 convertibles are actually more heavy that normal cars due to the support of them being a convertible

#2 the amount of $ required - that is reason enough! I pay over $145 a week for support for just ONE of my sons, and I do not make much money... all I know is I need my car fixed, painted and a new sunroof, and I can't afford those 3 so I save up and want to try to get just one done...
meh

3387400014_medium.jpg
...I google'd it...

I doubt any shop would offer to mod in a clear top for less than $2k - They'd need to pull the headliner, cut the roof, cut/mold/fit/seal the Lexan and then trim inside to finish.

Last edited:
first of all, I apologize, but that is really ugly. Secondly, I dont want a lexan top - that would be cool, but - I already have a sunroof, I just want another sunroof, just a little larger... I think the cost for that would be minimal...

>but that is really ugly

You should see the other end :)

>I just want another sunroof, just a little larger...

Example pricing:
http://www.sunroofs.org/openair.htm#pop-up

Pop-Up Sunroofs

A pop-up sunroof is a manually operated tilting glass panel. Retail installed prices range from $249 to $699.

Tilt-&-Slide Sunroofs (Spoiler)

Tilt-&-slide sunroofs don't offer quite as large an opening as other sunroof types, but the convenience of a self storing panel can be a desirable feature. Aftermarket options were once limited to manual crank versions, but today most are power operated, with optional features like integrated sun shades and electronic control modules. Tilt-&-slide sunroofs are ideal for short roof vehicles where other types of sliding sunroofs are cannot be installed. Retail installed prices range from $595 to $895.

Folding Sunroofs (Rag-Top)

The folding sunroof, another European tradition, offers the convenience of a sunroof with an opening more like a convertible. Folding sunroofs are for people who really want a very large opening to enjoy open air driving. Unlike the other sunroofs, the panel (cover) for the folding sunroof is made of fabric (vinyl), which folds back as it slides open. Once seen as factory options on European imports, folding sunroofs have been spotted on many recent concept vehicles. Aftermarket versions are currently available only in powered versions. Retail installed prices range from $1200 to $1800.

Panoramic Sunroofs (multi-panel, large roof systems)

Panoramic roof systems provide a much larger viewing area than other sunroofs, usually including aperture above both the front and rear seats. They may be fixed or operable panels, or a combination of both, and may be transparent or opaque. Unlike folding sunroofs, panoramic systems provide a rigid, secure panel and the option of transparency for viewing the open sky with the roof closed. First seen as factory options on premium European imports, panoramic sunroofs are being incorporated into a variety of low ro mid-priced cars such as the Pontiac G6, BMW Mini, Scion tC, Subaru Outback wagon, Malibu Maxx and even several minivans and SUV's including the Jeep Commander and Caddilac SRX. These continue to develop at the OEM level and have been spotted on many recent concept vehicles. Aftermarket versions are currently available only in powered versions. Retail installed prices range from $1200 to $1800.

Last edited:
So putting the vista top will make it lighter? I think you got thought twisted. But yes that not a Supercoupe, its a lx with the sc body kit.

>...its a lx with the sc body kit.

Of course, without a top, it's no longer a 'coupe' - that's a Super-Con :p

I see it as being an insult to all t-birds. That just my opinion. I have thought about converting mine into a hard top convertible though. Summers would be nice and winter or bad days it would still look like a normal t-bird.

geez. I have a "tilt and slide" automatic sunroof already installed, but it is sub-par. I dont know what to do now - I assumed the prices would be cheaper.. but wait... thanks to my friend, I can find things like this - http://www.wegotused.com/DirHazle.htm
I guess I should go tomorrow: http://www.wegotused.com/HazleSpec.htm

better yet - go here:
http://www.mypartshop.com/

look up 2007 ford edge, then scroll down to roof glass, click on all, then search

anywhere from $250, $400, to $1,000 (for both front and rear glass) I didn't search anything for t-birds - maybe they have good deals? (I dunno)

I just dont want to buy or order something and have it not fit - I think the prices of the glass/motor/etc. are the most expensive. I am sure u could get the installation (assuming it fits) for not too much. I was looking at some of the parts for t-birds on the mypartshop but I dunno what to think! arrgh

Back