PDA

View Full Version : Bunches and bunches of problems...

TheSurveyor
09-19-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey everyone... I have lots of problems... any help on any of them would be appreciated.

I finally had to time to repair the master cylinder on my 91 SC Auto this past weekend. It ended up being the actual master cylinder leaking and I was able to buy the entire ABS-Cylinder-Accumulator-Reservoir used and in perfect condition. I unbolted the unit from under the dash and did a total swap. Everything seems to work fine however if I "quickly" press the brake pedal while driving, the "BRAKE" light flashes once quickly, then the "ABS" light. Neither stay on for more than half a second, but I do not remember this happening when my original unit was working fine.

Also... I have this strange rattling sound coming from the front-middle of the car. It only sounds when driving (over slight or harsh bumps). You can also hear it if you press down on either front fender and then let up (basically shake the front end of the car). I've had the motor mounts replaced so I don't think it's them. The noise is really annoying while driving (it sounds like something's about to come apart). I've had the problem for several months BEFORE the brake problem though.

Also... my third and most severe problem... My car is difficult to start. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. If you turn the key, the engine turns over a few times and then it sound like somebody just rips the power away. It's a droning sound and then the starter quits turning. If you turn the key again, it usually happens again. It will begin to turn over a few times, then drone away. It will usually end up starting after the third or fourth try. I have replaced the starter once after burning it up because of this problem.

When the car does finally start (see above) I usually have no tach signal and the check engine light comes on. Occasionally, the tach is working fine and there is NO check engine light. Also, sometimes I will be driving (with no tach and check engine on) and all of a sudden I regain tach and check engine goes off. I believe that this problem and the above starting problem are related.

Just for informational purposes, I am pretty sure none of these problems has to do with the computer, or the DIS. A while back, I had to bring the car in to Ford to have the harmonic balance replaced (it actually sheared off of the crank shaft). They had a difficult time getting the car to start again and "supposedly" tried swapping out the crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor, DIS, and main computer. Of course it was the dealer so who knows if they're telling the truth.

Anyway... I should have given up my SC a long time ago, but it's the sweetest car I've ever owned.

Thanks,
WILL

Kevin Varnes
09-20-2002, 12:19 AM
Your #3 problem really sounds like a cam sensor or DIS module. Scan the computer and see what code(s) it kicks out. Are you sure the accumulator on the ABS unit is good? Just because it may not have been used much does not guarantee it is good. How many brake pedal pumps do you get between pump cycles?

Matt SC ESC
09-20-2002, 02:40 AM
The ABS issue is the ABS relay, i have that exact same problem on my 35th right now... just have to find time to do it.

Les Borda
09-20-2002, 06:19 AM
SOunds like you ended up with a well worn accumulator on this replacement unit. Mine was doing exactly the same thing, a quick hard whack on the brake pedal and the lights would cycle. When I did the key on engine off brake pedal test I got barely 3 pumps and both lights would come on.

96tbird
09-20-2002, 09:37 AM
I had the same rattle noise in my 96 from the day i bought it. It drove me nuts. It went back to the dealer 8 times and was never fixed. until 1999. One day it was rattling like crazy and i drove to my freinds ford dealership. I drove right into the garage and asked one of the mechanics to listen again. We drove around a while he heard it. It made you think the front end was slowly falling apart. We went back to the dealership and he had one guy lay under the front end and he stood at the front and with the drivers side door open, he had me pull up and down on the door, kind of rocking the whole car side to side. We found the problem.
Believe it or not a thumbfull of grease smeard onto the hood latch took care of it. But as soon as the grease is gone...noise is back in a big was. We Tried to readjust the latch mechanism too but nothing really took care of it for good!! Hope this helps!