Different Things?

92redsupercoupe

i have a 92 5 spd.
the harmonic balancer is to the point where its almost a missile. My question is that when you try to start the car sometimes it starts instantly or sometimes it takes 10 seconds of cranking. could the bad hb cause this due to faulty crank readings? it also pings at low rpms. mainly when you let the clutch out to get the car moving just for a second. goes away if i pull the spout.

guess what you get to do? Thats right replace the HB!! if you let it go any longer it will break and also break the bolt. And once they break they usually take out the crank sensor and leave the broken part of the balencer flush with the timing cover and are a pain to get out. And yes your car would run like crap and hardly run with a broken balencer. For mine i got the BHJ and paind 373 with shipping. I would recomend doing this ASAP!!

i ordered it and just am waiting for it. its not going to be drivin until the new one is on. i was just wondering in case this doesnt fix the problem.

guess what you get to do? Thats right replace the HB!! if you let it go any longer it will break and also break the bolt. And once they break they usually take out the crank sensor and leave the broken part of the balencer flush with the timing cover and are a pain to get out. And yes your car would run like crap and hardly run with a broken balencer. For mine i got the BHJ and paind 373 with shipping. I would recomend doing this ASAP!!

Does the harmonic balancer cause the pinging at low rpm's too? Mine does the same thing...Minus the crank problem.

Last edited:
mine goes away when i pull the octane plug. some of the threads ive read here simply state that the crank sensor is for starting the car and a backup for if the cam sensor fails? i know most of the gm cars ive had have timed off of the crank sensor.

The crank sensor is used for all timing reference. The car won't run without it which is the opposite of GM. A broken balancer can affect timing but most likely it is not causing your ping. A anything other than premium fuel, a dirty MAF or bad fuel pump is more likely.

ok got the old balancer off. it didnt look bad but it did look old. ran into a problem. i cant get the crank bolt to thread back in. where can i get a m14 1.50 tap? no one around here seems to have one.

Back