Steering Column firewall boot? Bringing wires in from engine.

ricardoa1

Anyone have pics and instructions of how it installs? I have to replace mine as it is torn.

Does it unbolt from inside the cabin? and is it a two piece boot?

Unbolts from the Interior side, the boot is held in place by a couple nuts, and you'll need to unbolt the gas pedal bracket also .. then you'll need to remove the steering shaft to pull it out, the steering shaft is two pieces so it will slide apart after a little persuasion .. I could take some pics of the parts off the car if you need to see how it looks.

- Dan

Pics would be great on a car that has the engine out and stuff.

From what I can see the actual boot is two pieces and it looks like the engine bay side is the one torn. There seems to be some kind of plastic coupler bearing at the boot. Exploded views would be great.

Pics would be great on a car that has the engine out and stuff.

From what I can see the actual boot is two pieces and it looks like the engine bay side is the one torn. There seems to be some kind of plastic coupler bearing at the boot. Exploded views would be great.

The boot is a couple pieces bonded together, but if yours id torn, its not repairable. THere is a white coupler between the boot and steering shaft.

A little hard to see in this pic, but that is on the firewall side, engine removed .. subframe dropped, fender cut off .. its a Mark with the sound deadening on the firewall that installs over the boot, etc ..

m8-7.jpg

boot1.jpg

boot2.jpg

I would probably just unbolt it from under the dash and the bolt where the shaft is attached right before right rag joint at the rack, then pull it through the interior side.

- Dan

Last edited:
So they cannot be separated, the two piece boot that is, correct?

Thank you for the pics, it really helped see what needs to be done.

The probem I also have is that I have about 15 wires, a vac line and a nitrous line going tru a hole on it. Id have to undo all of gadgets to get this repaired.

I am embarassed to even post a picture. :eek:

I also now have to buy a boot.

There is an Inner and Outer boot .. they are bonded together at the firewall side .. on the engine side, looks like a piece of foam is glued between the inner / outer boots where the shaft comes out. I dont know how much of a pain it would be if possible to repair it while still in the car, depending on how bad yours is, probably easier to just replace it.

I might not need this one pictured .. ;)

Sounds like a fun project .. why not punch a hole through the firewall instead of the steering boot if you have so many
wires ??

- Dan

Last edited:
It started out with just an amp wire. Long time ago. Then nitrous then gauges then snow kit then wide band etc. They just added up.

Back