Nettlesd
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Ordering Information:

American Condenser
1628 w. 139th St.,
Gardena, CA 90249

Contact person: Art Reyna
Phone: 800.777.1591

P40503 - with oem set-up - 2 row, 1/4" tube core - $110.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler - Discontinued
P40759 - with oem set-up - 3 row, 5/16" tube core - $165.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler
40776P - with oem set-up - Parallel Flow core - $165.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler
T.B.A - with MP set-up - 2 row, 1/4" tube core - $165.00 - MP Style Intercooler - Discontinued
P40758 - with MP set-up - 3 row, 5/16" tube core - $165.00 - MP Style Intercooler - Discontinued

P40503 or P40759
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/P40503-3R.jpg

P40758
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/P35542-IC.jpg

Pictures of a couple of units that have been built.

Condenser for those who have a MP intercooler
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/MP.jpg?t=1236976940

Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler (P40759)
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/P40759.jpg?t=1236976889

Parallel Flow core Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler (40776P)
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q54/nettlesd/PF-short-condenser.jpg?t=1238681460

Mike8675309
03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm in... 2 row is just fine.

Ira R.
03-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Do we know the dimensions of the finished unit?

Ira

Nettlesd
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
The company was given the information from this thread (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19223&highlight=AirCon).

I will also contact the company tomorrow and get actual dimensions.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm in... 2 row is just fine.

Why just the 2-row for you?

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Can they make custom ones. I dont want a shorter one, I want one that has several rows missing on the bottom while maintaing the stock width and height.
This would work better for those with a MP FMIC. The missing bottom rows would be great so more air get to the IC and radiator while the top part of the condenser does most of the work.

Toms-SC
03-03-2009, 02:49 PM
Heck even a stock replacement would be nice.

Ira R.
03-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Can they make custom ones. I dont want a shorter one, I want one that has several rows missing on the bottom while maintaing the stock width and height.
This would work better for those with a MP FMIC. The missing bottom rows would be great so more air get to the IC and radiator while the top part of the condenser does most of the work.

Check out the thread Duane says he used to send them the information on the unit. There is a comparison picture in there and it looks like what you described. Check it out, because I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you don't want it shorter. Shorter means less rows on the bottom, no?

Ira

Kurt K
03-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Check out the thread Duane says he used to send them the information on the unit. There is a comparison picture in there and it looks like what you described. Check it out, because I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say you don't want it shorter. Shorter means less rows on the bottom, no?

Ira
No, in this case shorter is row-length. Therefore the "shorter" condenser is actually narrower in width (with respect to the front of the car). The rows of tube are horizontal.

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Ira imagine, same size frame "outer edges" that is the same size as stock but with missing AC tube rows on the bottom. Maybe 1/3.

The short air con condensers were norrower "shorter" to allow the area where the stock IC is to be free from the condenser, and I think this is the intentions of the OP.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 04:01 PM

I believe so and I will verify.

Heck even a stock replacement would be nice.

A stock replacement can be ordered.

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
:d

awsome.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Oh, does anyone want to comment on whether we should go 2-row versus 3-row?

For a visual effect using an Excel Spreadsheet, this would represent the Shorter condenser we would like built.

A B C D E F

For a visual effect using an Excel Spreadsheet, this is what Ricardo is wanting built. Notice the difference?

A B C D E F G H I J K

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 04:09 PM

What is the tube design that has to do alot with efficiency..

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 04:15 PM
What is the tube design that has to do alot with efficiency..

Look at my very first post.

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Did, are they making it in 1/4 tube?

I could not really tell what they picked from their argument, it seems like they want to do it in 1/4 tube but was not a final decision.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Did, are they making it in 1/4 tube?

I could not really tell what they picked from their argument, it seems like they want to do it in 1/4 tube but was not a final decision.

His suggestion was 2-row 1/4 tube but since the original AirCon unit was a 3-row unit he is more than willing to make the unit a 3-row. A 3-row unit would be made using 5/16 tubes only. Basically, they are willing to make either one or both for us.

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I vote 1/4 two row. For better engine cooling. It should allow more air to go between the tubes. Whats the point of having AC if the engine overheats.

Our cabins are not that large and get cold fairly quick. If its for very hot states and no window tint is on the car I would think that the 3 row would do a better job, even though according to them it does not because of the smaller tubes.

fturner
03-03-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm interested in the 2 row one... could you ask them if they are willing to ship to Ontario, Canada?

Thanks
Fraser

Ira R.
03-03-2009, 05:55 PM

For a visual effect using an Excel Spreadsheet, this would represent the Shorter condenser we would like built.

A B C D E F

For a visual effect using an Excel Spreadsheet, this is what Ricardo is wanting built. Notice the difference?

A B C D E F G H I J K

Thank you Duane. It's much easier for me when I can see it. And since I too have a FMIC I can see why Ricardo prefers something like this.

Ira

90MN12
03-03-2009, 06:12 PM
but I am trying to figure out if the 3 core would make a big difference in cooling both the car and the a/c? Would it really hinder the air from getting the my double intercooler with a 3 core design?

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 06:33 PM
but I am trying to figure out if the 3 core would make a big difference in cooling both the car and the a/c? Would it really hinder the air from getting the my double intercooler with a 3 core design?

If you have a double intercooler i would think that you would want the AIR CON style narrower. :confused:

Jimmy 2Coupes
03-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I'd get one. As far as two or three row, I'd want the one that is best suited for our SC's. I have an AirCon unit on my 95 SC that seems to do a very good job on hot summer days. The car has never overheated but there has been times when the temp gauge needle being about straight up cruising down the interstate on a hot hot 90+ day gets my undivided attention. If a well made two row condenser can equal or is at least close to being equal to the AirCon unit I'd be happy with that since it probably would allow for more air to the radiator. On the other hand, if the two row unit only has let's say about half the efficiency of the three row unit I'd want the three row unit. I'm definitely going to be putting a shorter AC condenser on my 94 SC so I'll be watching this tread closely.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I have an AirCon unit on my 95 SC that seems to do a very good job on hot summer days.

I believe that was the one that I tried to buy but you beat me to it, hence, why we have this thread. It's all good, no worries. :D

talonhead
03-03-2009, 06:51 PM
My radiator is to big (ie efficient) as it is. I have to block off rows to get it hot enough to stay out of warm up! A fmic would load the rad enough. now I need a blend door act. motor so I can have A/C. I would go with the three row short one. But nothings going on in my garage 'til it warms up.

Jimmy 2Coupes
03-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I believe that was the one that I tried to buy but you beat me to it, hence, why we have this thread. It's all good, no worries. :D

It wasn't me Duane. I actually purchased my AirCon from AirCon way back when. It sat in my garage collecting dust for four or five years before I finally got around to installing it almost three years ago.

Nettlesd
03-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Question #1

Can they make custom ones. I donít want a shorter one, I want one that has several rows missing on the bottom while maintaining the stock width and height.

No can do. If less rows are required, then the overall height will be shorter. Is the purpose for this type of condenser to accommodate a horizontal inter-cooler below? (NOTE: Replied back with the answer but haven't heard back. They still might be able to do it. Don't see why not.)

Question #2

Do we know the dimensions of the finished unit?

Which one? The stocking special unit is part# P40503: core - 15 x 17 x 3/4" (2ROW). You have the drawing.

I've been informed that for the 3-row cores we can only use 5/16" tubes. This would give a thickness of 1-1/2".

Question #3

Can I order just a stock replacement.

Yes.

1989-93 models use part# P35545.

1994-95 models use part# P35542P (parallel flow, high efficiency core)

Ira R.
03-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Okay then. So I have a FMIC and I want to replace my condenser. Which one do I want to buy? Which unit will do the job and what would be overkill?? I don't want to spend extra money if I don't need too.

Ira

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 09:08 PM
I understand why they said that. But if they simply weld two legs to the vertical supports that would also work. As long as the factory hookups are retained in the right side upper right corner, I dont even need the legs Ill make some brackets and drill them on the rad support to lift the unit.

I just want the fresh air to enter the bottom since thats where the bumper inserts most of the air.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser.jpg

Mike8675309
03-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Why just the 2-row for you?

I guess if they say it will work, then I don't know why I would need more. The condenser should be sized to the compressor and the evaporator size so that the system can maintain control. Our cars use an orifice valve to balance the system.

I'll take whatever they recommend. In a narrower unit. i.e. no wider than the radiator. I need the room next to the radiator for some stuff.

A reasonably priced condenser, that fits similar to oem so the coolant lines can reach, but isn't as wide, would be perfect.

ricardoa1
03-03-2009, 11:40 PM
What is the difference on the r12 and r134 cars from the factory. I thougt they were the same.

Kurt K
03-04-2009, 10:50 AM
What is the difference on the r12 and r134 cars from the factory. I thougt they were the same.Good question. If there is a difference, I want mine for R12 :D

TSC89
03-04-2009, 10:51 AM
Asked my friend at the local shop what data he had on this, this was his reply.

R-134a is slightly less efficient and condensers will usually have to be upgraded to match the cooling performance of R12.

The factory condensers are different between the 89-93 SC's and the 94-95 SC's.

The factory condenser for the 89-93's measure 15.55 H X 24.64 W.

The factory condenser for the 94-95's measure 16.22 H X 27.16 W.

When my 90 sc was upgraded to R134A they put in the bigger condenser.

ricardoa1
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Asked my friend at the local shop what data he had on this, this was his reply.

R-134a is slightly less efficient and condensers will usually have to be upgraded to match the cooling performance of R12.

The factory condensers are different between the 89-93 SC's and the 94-95 SC's.

The factory condenser for the 89-93's measure 15.55 H X 24.64 W.

The factory condenser for the 94-95's measure 16.22 H X 27.16 W.

When my 90 sc was upgraded to R134A they put in the bigger condenser.

My 94-95 is a tube and fin design.

Duane,

This replacement that they sell if it uses a parallel flow design should prove to be a better design over all. Can they make shortened versions of this design.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Richardo,

Question from the manufacturer:

Duane,
On the proposed core with the CAC mounted below it...what would the core height be? Or better yet, what are the dimensions of the inter-cooler (CAC)?

Information:

I have a parallel flow(1-row only) core that measures 16 x 18".
Tube and fin units can be made any size, 2 or 3-row only.

condenser designs
tube & fin: round tube, flat fin (2 and 3-rows)
parallel flow: flat tube, louvered fin (traps air, for increased cooling efficiency) is also known as multi-flow or multi-pass
serpentine: flat tube, louvered fin (traps air, for increased cooling efficiency) not multi-pass

Reason for use of 3-row core: to increase the capacity of a 2-row core application in a down-sized core or increased heat created by R134
Reason for use of Parallel flow core: smaller more compact unit designed especially to handle the increased heat and pressure generated by R134 systems. Should work wonders with R12.

Anyone know if the parallel flow (1-row only) core that measures 16 x 18" will work for a shorter version?

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 11:29 AM
The dimensions I am thinking are as follows.

Dimensions of the request is #8MQCF in and #6MQCF out connections, in the factory location, 27-1/8" core width, 28-3/8" overall width, About 10-3/4" height more or less.
Stock is 27-1/8" core width, 28-3/8" overall width, About 16-1/8 height.
So the proposed condenser for MP folks deletes about 1/3rd from the bottom.

The 16x18 parallel flow would be ok for the the stock INtercooler folks.
But not the MP people.

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 11:32 AM
The intercooler on the MP Front Mount is almost as big as the Condenser itself and will sit behind the condenser anyways. Its not of importance the size of the Intercooler for this matter as removing a third of it will only reveal about half of the intercooler. The purpose is to increase fresh air flow to the IC and the radiator that is behind it.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
More questions Ricardo:

For the aftermarket IC, is the owner of the vehicle ready to compromise comfort for performance?

Problem #1:
Theoretically, 33% of the condenser's efficiency will be lost with this configuration. A third row may solve this problem.

Problem# 2
Mounting....

fturner
03-05-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm in for the 2 core as I stated earlier. Are these guys willing to ship to Canada?

Fraser

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm in for the 2 core as I stated earlier. Are these guys willing to ship to Canada?

Fraser

Sorry about that. I just asked and I'm waiting on the reply.

A 2-row can be ordered at any time. The stocking special unit is part #P40503.

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 02:11 PM
More questions Ricardo:

For the aftermarket IC, is the owner of the vehicle ready to compromise comfort for performance?

Problem #1:
Theoretically, 33% of the condenser's efficiency will be lost with this configuration. A third row may solve this problem.

Problem# 2
Mounting....

If you look at the AIR CON A/C condensers Its missing about 33% of it already. George D bought a 3 core version and that worked very well for his car and as others have. If the company does not see a 2 row 1/4 suitable like they originally stated then 3 row versions would have to be the upgrade.
But i think that the 2 row should prove to be enough for some.

My car overheats with the stock condenser and the A/C on, as so many MP FMIC owners. So to me a car that doesnt overheat is more important then an AC system that operates at 67% percent.

As for brackets those can be made by us, by bendin a piece of metal and a couple of screws. But Ideally if they take a stocker and remove 1/3 of the fins and tubes on the bottom of it would be even better. that way the two lateral supports that the tubes mount to would reach to the bottom of the frame of the car and lift the whole assymbly to the correct position.

Ira R.
03-05-2009, 04:10 PM
If you look at the AIR CON A/C condensers Its missing about 33% of it already. George D bought a 3 core version and that worked very well for his car and as others have. If the company does not see a 2 row 1/4 suitable like they originally stated then 3 row versions would have to be the upgrade.
But i think that the 2 row should prove to be enough for some.

My car overheats with the stock condenser and the A/C on, as so many MP FMIC owners. So to me a car that doesnt overheat is more important then an AC system that operates at 67% percent.

As for brackets those can be made by us, by bendin a piece of metal and a couple of screws. But Ideally if they take a stocker and remove 1/3 of the fins and tubes on the bottom of it would be even better. that way the two lateral supports that the tubes mount to would reach to the bottom of the frame of the car and lift the whole assymbly to the correct position.

I'm not looking to buy something where I have to do any fabrication to make fit. It should bolt right in where the old one was. Duane, your original diagram describing what Ricardo was looking for was right on the money for the FMIC. Now maybe I missed something here but where are we with this? I honestly am not following what Ricardo is saying anymore and I don't want us over-engineering something into oblivion. (no offense Rico - I really have lost track of what's what here!)

Ira

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 04:21 PM

Fraser

Canada is a go. Ordering information is posted in the first post.

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Sorry Ira. I might be over complicating things here. I could talk to Duane over PM, if I am blasting things in this thread.

Here is what Duane has been able to get from American Condensers Incorporated.

A narower version of the factory units. Ir removes about a third of the right side of the condenser, if you are facing the front of the car, to allow a factory intercooler fresh air. Remember the factory intercooler is on the right side of the car. Part number for this in a two row 1/4" is #P40503 They can make it all you have to do is call them or go thru Duane.

http://www.thundercoupe.com/images/condenser/con010.jpg

What i want is this Ira.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser.jpg

You will bennefit from this design alot more IMO.

It think where your confusion is in the first post where the comany gives an example of a 15" core and how many tubes can fit on it. This is not what you will get its merely an example to illustrate and compare different tubes.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 04:33 PM
A 2-row can be ordered now.

A 3-row can be ordered using a 15 X 17 core.

A condenser for the MP can be made.

I would suggest calling Art if you want a 3-row or MP style. He does want to verify the dimensions of the 15 X 17 core for the shorter version but I think if he goes off of the drawing for the AirCon unit, we should be fine.

Any questions, Art is more than willing to speak with you. All the information is in the first post.

fturner
03-05-2009, 05:10 PM

Great!!!! Ordering one up now :).

Fraser

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
A 2-row can be ordered now.

A 3-row can be ordered using a 15 X 17 core.

A condenser for the MP can be made.

I would suggest calling Art if you want a 3-row or MP style. He does want to verify the dimensions of the 15 X 17 core for the shorter version but I think if he goes off of the drawing for the AirCon unit, we should be fine.

Any questions, Art is more than willing to speak with you. All the information is in the first post.

Thank you Duane for all your help. I contacted him ill post my results of our conversation soon. He has a mock up of what I want already.

fturner
03-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Anyone have an alternate contact number. It sounds like the 800 number is blocked for international calls.

Thanks Duane for your work on this :).

Fraser

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Proposed MP design.

Duane this one I think is per your request it is the three row version, He gave that mock up part # P40503-3R

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/P40503-3R.jpg

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Thank you Duane for all your help. I contacted him ill post my results of our conversation soon. He has a mock up of what I want already.

No problem guys but I'm sure I wasn't the best person to be explaining all of this stuff to him. It doesn't matter anyway, as long as we get something built for the club, that's all that matters.

It sounds like Ricardo has us squared away on the units. Thanks Ricardo. It's for the club, so WooHoo!

XR7 Dave
03-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I think both designs are great. One thing that was an issue with the Bronco condensers I have been using is that the inlet/outlet fittings stuck out too far from the core making connections a real pain. Other than that they fit ok. Now as for mounting these, small pieces of strap will screw into the frames and into the rad support. Very simple operation, if you can't do that you shouldn't be messing with your car.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Very simple operation, if you can't do that you shouldn't be messing with your car.

That would be me. :D

KMT
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Here is the set up he built for the MP guys, He will assign it part number P35542 once we confirm that is what we want.

American Condensers is already showing a 'P35542 (http://www.americancondenser.com/index.php?sp=P35542)'...

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
American Condensers is already showing a 'P35542 (http://www.americancondenser.com/index.php?sp=P35542)'...

Thats what he told me, I think he is using the template from the existing factory replacement. I did not put the two numbers together. Which is essentially what I want minus the missing fins and tubes.

Ill email him that this is ok and ill place my order to create another number so you guys can follow.

fturner
03-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Anyone thought of putting together a group buy for startup to see if we can get lower prices :D.

Fraser

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Anyone thought of putting together a group buy for startup to see if we can get lower prices :D.

Fraser

Already asked. No group buys but....I'll have to check with Art and confirm before I can post what was discussed between us.

fturner
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Already asked. No group buys but....I'll have to check with Art and confirm before I can post what was discussed between us.

Cool, and if its to be $110 I'm happy with that. Considering I've been trying to price a bronco II condensor and the cheapest I can find up here is $174 plus shipping.

Fraser

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 06:44 PM

I ordered mine. We had some discussions about the 2 row vs 3 row and he conviced me to do a 3 row.

Takes about 5 days to make.

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Anyone have an alternate contact number. It sounds like the 800 number is blocked for international calls.

Thanks Duane for your work on this :).

Fraser

Local number is, 310-327-8600

fturner
03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
It will be P35542-IC for the MP guys. I ordered mine. We had some discussions about the 2 row vs 3 row and he conviced me to do a 3 row.
I dont think he is interested in doing 2 cores for $110 anyomore. The P35542-IC will be a three row. It will be $180 plus shipping.

Takes about 5 days to make.

Duane I think the same goes for your design and the part number is, P40503-3R for the three row. He will still do the 2 row though.

Your causing confusion here.. you first say he's not interested in the 2 core but at the end he's still going to make it? Which is it?

With your pushing your design he may think that all SC's will go with that design, and us folks with stock IC's and DIC's are left with nothing. The 2 core is perfect for alot of SC's out there.

Fraser

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Your causing confusion here.. you first say he's not interested in the 2 core but at the end he's still going to make it? Which is it?

With your pushing your design he may think that all SC's will go with that design, and us folks with stock IC's and DIC's are left with nothing. The 2 core is perfect for alot of SC's out there.

Fraser

Sorry. He is well aware that the other design will be the more popular one. I started with placing my order with a 2 row and he questioned me, after talking to him he thinks the 3 row is better suited since I will be using the weaker R134 refrigerant. Deep down I feel the 2 row is still going to be enough.

Hope that clairs it up. Feel free to call him and discuss and give him your wants and needs.

fturner
03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Ok, so will a 3 core in the reduced size for us SIC/DIC folks be better than the 2 core with R134?

For me up here I think I ran the a/c only a couple of times last summer.

I'm sorry, I'm so confused now. I was set on the 40503 model which is a 2 core 1/4" tubing.... is that still available for $110?

Fraser
ps I can program a computer, diagnose and tune an SC.. but anything else requires a helping hand.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Ok, so will a 3 core in the reduced size for us SIC/DIC folks be better than the 2 core with R134?

A 3-row would be better but you can opt for a 2-row. Art can break it all down for you and is happy to discuss it with you.

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 09:27 PM
New part numbers and discounted pricing has been added to the first post.

Mike8675309
03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
to again cover what dave said.

The Bronco core is a dual tube design and works just fine on the SC A/C system. note that the bronco core is taller than the stock one.

Any narrower core is going to loose the rubber block on the drivers side that the stock core sits on. That means you'll need to find some way to locate the core in the space. The Bronco core comes with metal plates that can be used to screw the top of the core to the radiator header plate. The bottom also has some plates you can screw to something.

A replacement unit will need some locating as well. The main issue with the bronco core is the inlet and outlet look close to where they need to be, but actually are not even close. Depending on your hoses, you may not be able to connect them up.

This condensor sounds like a good deal. I would talk to him about mounting and see if he can throw some strips of aluminum and self tapping machine screws to use for mounting it.

I like the MP unit, it'll work good as I need to add a heat exchanger for my air/liquid intercooler.

ricardoa1
03-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Mike are the bronco unit users charging with R12 or R134. That could make a difference.

Duane thanks for the extra discounted prices you were able to work out. I hope I was not stepping on your toes. Please disregard my part #s as they were prototype numbers and refer to the first post for the new numbers. I am very happy this club is able to have these options.

I did some measurements and with the new proposed MP condenser it will reveal a 4-1/4" vertical area for fresh air to cool down the IC. The radiator will benefit from the same 4-1/4" area. It should provide it the extra cooling it might need for it to not over heat, with the AC on. It will also give users another way to route IC tubes for custom true FMIC, or route cooling lines for transmission, liquid IC heat exhangers :D

Nettlesd
03-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Duane thanks for the extra discounted prices you were able to work out. I hope I was not stepping on your toes.

Not at all. I believe you helped in the process when you talked with Art in clearing up some issues.

It's for the club so that's all I care about. Anything else we need to work on?

Mike8675309
03-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Mike are the bronco unit users charging with R12 or R134. That could make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it's R134a... I can't imagine using R12 anymore.

ricardoa1
03-06-2009, 12:32 AM

Maybe I should have stuck to my guns and insisted on the two row, if the bronco 2 row works that well. :( Its all good time will tell.

Ira R.
03-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Maybe I should have stuck to my guns and insisted on the two row, if the bronco 2 row works that well. :( Its all good time will tell.

You really think having the extra row can do anything but help?

Ira

XR7 Dave
03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
You really think having the extra row can do anything but help?

Ira

Yes. How about make it even harder for the air to get through all that mess? Not saying it won't work. No one will ever know if or what works because the results will be all over the map. Just having something that fits well is a big plus.

Kurt K
03-06-2009, 10:15 AM
I still have plenty of R12:D

ricardoa1
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Maybe it will be wise to stay 3 row on the MP ones, there is a large area where the end tanks of the MP intercooler are, that will not get any air flow tru the condenser, That reduces the working area of the condenser even further. Those with the MP FMIC knows what I am talking about.
What do you guys think? I feel like calling him up and see if he can change the order to 2 row if he can, but I need more opinions. What do you guys want to see for the MP units.

Mike8675309
03-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Maybe it will be wise to stay 3 row on the MP ones, there is a large area where the end tanks of the MP intercooler are, that will not get any air flow tru the condenser, That reduces the working area of the condenser even further. Those with the MP FMIC knows what I am talking about.
What do you guys think? I feel like calling him up and see if he can change the order to 2 row if he can, but I need more opinions. What do you guys want to see for the MP units.

i'm guessing this guy is pretty smart when it comes to A/C systems. If so, he should be able to do some calculations based on the amount of refrigerant our system takes standard. Then he can take a delta based on this condenser change and see if the 2 row or 3 row would be better.

Because the 2 vs 3 row are different size tubes, the capacity for refrigerant may not change much. But what you need to take into account is heat rejection. How effective an A/C system is often relies directly on how well everything is sized together, and for the amount of heat you can take out, and heat you can put back in. If those are not close, the phase change doesn't work right and you have icing problems.

Our cars have a A/C system that has a high pressure switch, and uses an orifice valve to meter the refrigerant. A very rudimentary system.

richardo, I 'd tell him that even with the shorter condenser your setup is going to limit the square feet of exposed surface by 10% or 20%. Then let him tell you what he would recommend.

Also if you can, give feed back here if he has a different suggestion for those with R12 vs R134a. R12 can move much more heat.

ricardoa1
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
I will be pushing mine to the limit and see if it will cool, I changed my order to 94-95 style condenser with only 9in tube and fin area, in a two row version. So I deleted an additional 1" from the initial 10" If all goes well I think it will give the most you can get to to the IC and RAD.

He was not too thrilled about all the options and changes./

Ira R.
03-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Update, Art is going to create Four part #s for the MP IC condensers. Ill post them as I get it.

He will create a 94-95 version as well as a 89-93 version, and will offer 2row and 3rows tube and fin design.

I will be pushing mine to the limit and see if it will cool, I changed my order to 94-95 style condenser with only 9in tube and fin area, in a two row version. So I deleted an additional 1" from the initial 10" If all goes well I think it will give the most you can get to to the IC and RAD.

He was not too thrilled about all the options but I think this would get the rest of you guys to make your own choices with less complication. If you are ready to order one of the four choices call him up and tell him the year, the fact that its the Front mount aftermarket IC, and how many rows you want.

You guys can take it from here.
Way to follow up Ricardo.

Ira

ricardoa1
03-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Those interested should at least send him an email and ask him questions about them to get him motivated and show interest. Tell him you are waiting for my results or something along those lines.
So far Fraser has been his only inquiry on the Air-con style ones. I dont want him to get discouraged before we get these made. :( Get your names out there.

artreyna@americancondenser.com

Nettlesd
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
He knows that I'll be placing my order on Monday.

TSC89
03-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Order placed.

starmantv
03-10-2009, 02:06 AM
I'll take one how do I get this going , this bolts right up with no problems ,right?

fturner
03-10-2009, 06:03 AM
I'll take one how do I get this going , this bolts right up with no problems ,right?

We're talking Supercoupe's here.... nothing bolts on without issues ;).

Fraser

ricardoa1
03-10-2009, 09:24 AM

It will connect to the factory lines no problem.

99GSXR750
03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
What's being done for mounts (opposite the a/c lines, closest to the i/c) on the shorter condenser? Will it have the rubber blocks like stock or are the stock ones reused?

ricardoa1
03-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Art, contacted me last night on the MP version that I ordered, He let me know that final measurements are 8 3/4" vertical if I wanted to stay within the proposed 9" (fin and tube area), So we are making progress, so far so good.

90MN12
03-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know if the 3 core design will fit with the Aluminum radiator from Raceware? will there be any problems mounting them since not stock radiator?
called him yesterday and that was a question he asked.

Mike8675309
03-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Does anyone know if the 3 core design will fit with the Aluminum radiator from Raceware? will there be any problems mounting them since not stock radiator?
called him yesterday and that was a question he asked.

The way a radiator mounts shouldn't be a problem. The condenser sits in an area that the radiator doesn't fit, since the top tank of the radiator prevents the radiator from moving very far forward.

90MN12
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
the way a radiator mounts shouldn't be a problem. The condenser sits in an area that the radiator doesn't fit, since the top tank of the radiator prevents the radiator from moving very far forward.

i just don't know how it will fit down there. Pertaining more to installing the condenser with the radiator already in there. I guess he was asking if the different size of the condenser will get in the way of the radiator. Will there be any kind of issues with that different radiator or will the condenser fit next to either radiator the same?

Mike8675309
03-12-2009, 09:18 PM
i just don't know how it will fit down there. Pertaining more to installing the condenser with the radiator already in there. I guess he was asking if the different size of the condenser will get in the way of the radiator. Will there be any kind of issues with that different radiator or will the condenser fit next to either radiator the same?

The condenser fits in front of the radiator, not next to it. All that this condenser will do is one of two things.

If it is a narrower condenser, it takes up the same space in front of the radiator but no longer extends to the location in front of the factory intercooler.

If it is the shorter condenser, it takes up the same width, but is located higher with a gap below it to work better with those that have Front Mount intercoolers.

Nettlesd
03-12-2009, 09:23 PM
As Mike pointed out, it fits in the stock location as your existing condenser so no mounting issues there. If you still have your stock condenser in the car, take a look at it and where it is and that's where the new one will reside also. If you are wondering how it will look, go to the 1st post and look at the pictures and then look at your stock condenser again and you can see what is being changed depending on which condenser you are ordering.

Oh, I should have pictures of the new ones in a couple of days.

Ira R.
03-13-2009, 11:18 AM
As Mike pointed out, it fits in the stock location as your existing condenser so no mounting issues there. If you still have your stock condenser in the car, take a look at it and where it is and that's where the new one will reside also. If you are wondering how it will look, go to the 1st post and look at the pictures and then look at your stock condenser again and you can see what is being changed depending on which condenser you are ordering.

Oh, I should have pictures of the new ones in a couple of days.

Duane, are those part numbers listed in that first post the actual numbers for the three options he is willing to make? I know there was some question what he was willing to make and what each part number was for.

Ira

ricardoa1
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Duane, are those part numbers listed in that first post the actual numbers for the three options he is willing to make? I know there was some question what he was willing to make and what each part number was for.

Ira

The first one AIRCON 2row is the same,

And for the MP, he should have a different part # for the one I asked to make with the new changes, but i dont have that number yet. Not sure if Duane can grab that. The part # on the first post for the MP was the one he drew up first, before any changes. I think he finished the blue prints on that so one can order that if you really want it, 3 row with 10"~core height.

Nettlesd
03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

Ira

I believe so.

The first one AIRCON 2row is the same,
The 3 row Aircon style he added a "P" to the end of the part #s,

I don't think that is quite correct. I believe the one he is making for me with the Parallel Flow core will have the "P" on the end of the 3-row part number.

As far as I know, I have the correct part numbers in the first post. Two pictures have been added to the first post to show the actual units.

ricardoa1
03-13-2009, 05:02 PM
I believe so.

I don't think that is quite correct. I believe the one he is making for me with the Parallel Flow core will have the "P" on the end of the 3-row part number.

As far as I know, I have the correct part numbers in the first post. Two pictures have been added to the first post to show the actual units.

Ok I thought you said that he added the the P to the three row yesterday in PM. I did not think it was for the Parallel flow.

Thanks for the update.

Those look really good. Ofcourse the busted stocker behind them makes them extra nice. Did he give you the number for the MP 2row 9in version?

Nettlesd
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok I thought you said that he added the the P to the three row yesterday in PM.

He did add the "P" but I'm thinking that's for the Parallel flow that he is building for me.

Did he give you the number for the MP 2row 9in version?

The one that is pictured for the MP is 8.75 X 27.5

ricardoa1
03-13-2009, 05:30 PM
He did add the "P" but I'm thinking that's for the Parallel flow that he is building for me.

The one that is pictured for the MP is 8.75 X 27.5

Whats the part # for that? I assume that is mine :D

Nettlesd
03-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Whats the part # for that? I assume that is mine :D

I'm pretty sure that one is yours. He hasn't assigned one yet. See the first post for the numbers.

Ira R.
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM

Parallel flow??? Tell me more about that.

Ira

Nettlesd
03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Parallel flow??? Tell me more about that.

Ira

Better cooling. From what Art tells me, a 3-row will out cool a 2-row and a Parallel Flow core will out cool a 3-row (in most cases). Because R134 doesn't cool as well as R12, all the newer cars use a Parallel Flow core to combat that issue.

Kurt K
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Any idea what the pressure drop is across each option? I'm sure the 2 row has the least pressure drop of the 3.

Nettlesd
03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Any idea what the pressure drop is across each option? I'm sure the 2 row has the least pressure drop of the 3.

Not a clue.

TSC89
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Mine arrived today. Packed well and secure in the box. I know what I am going to start work on this weekend.:D

THANKS TO DUANE for getting this going!

ricardoa1
03-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Congrats, is that the 2 row, where do you live?

I live on the other side of west coast. Should show up any date. :D

TSC89
03-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I bought the 3 row. I have a R134a conversion on a 90 SC. I live in Kansas.

ricardoa1
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Thats why i feel the 2 row will be a great option, it should offer the least amount of air flow drop and allow more air to get to radiator. The parallel flow can get even smaller due to its great heat transfer capabilities but the reason why its so great is that it causes greater turbulance with its flat sided tubes and traps the air so more heat is transfered to the oncoming air. It makes for a better condenser but not sure of what it leaves behind in terms of air as it passed thru it.
IF you have a modified overheating car I would think it would be a bad choice but if you have a car that has a radiator that keeps up with the engine in terms of cooling IE stock. Then the PF will give you the best AC performance while opening up the IC for vehicle better performance.

Nettlesd
03-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Mine arrived today. Packed well and secure in the box. I know what I am going to start work on this weekend.:D

THANKS TO DUANE for getting this going!

Maybe I could stop by and see how the install goes.

No problem, it's all for the club so that's what really matters.

TSC89
03-21-2009, 12:53 PM
OK, I just finished installing mine. I thought I would post up the results. First, I bought the 3 row version. I test fit it and everything looked good. Installing it was actually pretty simple. I had to make 3 minor changes to the car and I used all of the original condenser mounts.

In picture 1 is the bolt I had to grind off the excess length off of inside the engine bay. It is the bolt that holds a ground behind the passenger headlight.

In picture 2 I had to cut a knotch in the rubber piece above the condenser area for the driver side mount to fit.

In picture 3 I had to drill a hole to relocate the top mount on the drivers side.
I also relocated the lower rubber mount and siliconed it in place.

In picture 4 is the condenser installed.

It dropped right in.

ricardoa1
03-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Awsome, What shipping method did he use. Fedex, UPS?

Nettlesd
03-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Way to go, Jim. Correct width? Really opens up the intercooler area?

TSC89
03-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Mine came Fedex Ground.

The height was right on the numbers. The width opened up a nice, unblocked area for air flow to the Ken Wagner Doulbe IC.

TSC89
03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Has anyone else who purchased one received it? Curious how others look and fit?

ricardoa1
03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Has anyone else who purchased one received it? Curious how others look and fit?

Mine is supposed to arrive today. I have the other design though.

ricardoa1
03-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Argh, fedex has it hostage at the local hub. No reason, I have to find out tomorow

Pablo94SC
03-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Perfect timing!!!! I need to get ahold ofthem tomorrow and place myself an order. Thanks Duane!

ricardoa1
03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
Fed ex lost mine :( Art will have to build me another one. :mad:

TSC89
03-25-2009, 09:22 PM
Well that sucks. :mad: I have never had any trouble with Fedex. UPS usually loses or destroys my packages.

Pablo94SC
03-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Jim,

What kind of radiator do you have in your car? Think you can turn on the A/C and drive around to see what your car's coolant temps look like after some highway cruising and some basic stop/go type driving? All cars are going to be different, of course, but it'll be good feedback for the rest of us on the fence as to which model to buy.

TSC89
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
I can't right now. I thought as long as I already have it apart I might as well do the other upgrades I had planned and a new radiator is one of them. I can post up or PM you when I get it finished but it will probably be a couple of weeks.

Pablo94SC
03-28-2009, 04:02 AM
Gonna put my order in. I'd love to wait for your feedback, but I don't think the powers that be will want to wait a few weeks to finish up my car. :D

starmantv
03-31-2009, 02:56 AM
I would like to get the shorter one , with the rows missing at the bottom. how do I order and how much ?

TSC89
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
I would like to get the shorter one , with the rows missing at the bottom. how do I order and how much ?

All contact, ordering & pricing info is on the very first post.

Nettlesd
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Updated first post with Parallel Flow core.

TSC89
04-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Is that a picture of the one you ordered?

Nettlesd
04-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Is that a picture of the one you ordered?

That's it. He still needed to paint some of the connections black but that's it.

Jimmy 2Coupes
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
I ordered a parallel flow condenser like Duane's today. Thanks for getting this together for us Duane.:D

ricardoa1
04-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Mine came in finally, :eek:

Thank you fed ex for not keeping this one too.

Notice what actual area will be open. Not sure on the part number but the work order is 133240. Thats the only number on the box.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser004.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser002.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser003.jpg

Pablo94SC
04-13-2009, 02:56 AM
That's nice looking! I ended up using the money I had set aside for the 3-row on a Griffin radiator. I still plan on getting one but it's gonna have to wait a little bit longer now.

Mike8675309
04-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Duane,

You might want to update the thread at the top. The Parallel Flow core part number is 40776P. $165 with freight.

I just placed an order. Gonna try to get the car into shape so my wife is willing to take a Sunday drive or friday night cruise in the thing this year.

Nettlesd
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Duane,

You might want to update the thread at the top. The Parallel Flow core part number is 40776P. $165 with freight.

I just placed an order. Gonna try to get the car into shape so my wife is willing to take a Sunday drive or friday night cruise in the thing this year.

Done. Thanks.

ricardoa1
04-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I got the AC charged up this morning and all seems to be working well. I can feel the cold charge comming into the car and the Compressor cycles fine.

Last summer I had issues with the Compressor no cycling at times but once it got going it was working fine. Today the guys at the shop recomended to replace the pressure switch that sits on top of the canister. They put about 1 1/5 lbs so I hope thats not too much with the smaller condenser. Not even sure what stock is since I dont have the tag under the hood. At first I had the same issues as last year but again once the switch gave the compressor power the car ran nice and chilly for the whole ride home. I will really test it out this weekend when the weather gets to 85F :D
For not I cannot attest to its performance since it was a cool day anyways. But def things are working well so far.

Mike8675309
04-23-2009, 11:50 AM
They put about 1 1/5 lbs so I hope thats not too much with the smaller condenser. Not even sure what stock is since I dont have the tag under the hood.

If they are using high and low pressure gauges when they charge, then they only put in exactly how much is necessary. The one issue that takes an A/C guy to be sure of is if they need to add any oil. When you removed your original condenser, it would have had some compressor oil in it. Depending on how much is remaining in the system, you sometimes need to add some more to make up for whatever comes out with the component you replace.

Toms-SC
04-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Ricardo,

Which one did you get?

2 row, 1/4" tube core or 3 row, 5/16" tube core?

ricardoa1
04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Ricardo,

Which one did you get?

2 row, 1/4" tube core or 3 row, 5/16" tube core?

I did a 2 row 1/4" tube core and its about 9" in height. The one on the first post is slightly larger by about an inch. And its also 5/16" tube.

Toms-SC
04-23-2009, 12:11 PM
Side question:

I've got R12 in my system and want to convert over to R132a during the condenser swap. What is the best conversion kit to get?

ricardoa1
04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Updates on my stuff. Well I put a new cycle switch on and that fixed my delayed turning on problem. But was unable to use it in the really hot days like I wanted to. And now its back in the mid 60s. But with the beaming sun the cabin gets really hot and it takes no time for the AC to cool it down. I did use it breifely one day when it was 80deg and I felt like the temp from the air comming out of the vents dropped slightly with I was standing still. But as soon as I got moving the air chilled back to normal. All seems well still.

One question for the experts is. I dont feel like going back to the shop to check system pressure. But now that the new cycle switch is in. The AC clutch cycles but I feel like it is still overcharged. Here are the observations.

On HIGH AC the compressor stays running for a long time 30 seconds maybe and switches off only for a like two second before clutching back on.
On AC mode the compressor is on for maybe 15 seconds then clutches off for about 2 seconds and then repeats the cycle.
I can post a video of it if you would like Id like to know if this is normal operation since I dont remember what it was before. I personaly think it is overcharged but before purging out some Id like to get feedback.

TSC89
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Side question:

I've got R12 in my system and want to convert over to R132a during the condenser swap. What is the best conversion kit to get?

I guess it depends on which intercooler you are running. I have a 90 5-speed already converted to R134A with a Ken Wagner Double IC. I bought the Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler (P40759). I know Duane bought the 40776P Parrallel Flow. He already has R134A from the factory but I don't know if he is running a factory IC or a double IC.

ricardoa1
05-14-2009, 12:25 AM
Update. Just for those that are waiting for more results. The ac works great but i had some very poor AC performance when the car was standing sitting in traffic for a long time. It was a mild day to boot. A pusher fan will probably do it. It has great performance when the car gets moving.
But as long as my car does not over heat then I am happy. But I would get the original MP design and not my custom one. Unless you are ok with living with the issues I am having.

XxSlowpokexX
05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Yours was a thinner core?

Mike8675309
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM

He was not too thrilled about all the options and changes./

Art, contacted me last night on the MP version that I ordered, He let me know that final measurements are 8 3/4" vertical if I wanted to stay within the proposed 9" (fin and tube area), So we are making progress, so far so good.

Also note that with the MP you really loose air flow on the outer 1/4 of each side of the core. Based on Ricardo's experience, it appears that if you get the MP version, at least you want a 3 row.

I got the shorter Parallel Flow core and will be putting it in service by July, hopefully. I'll give feedback then.

ricardoa1
05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Also note that with the MP you really loose air flow on the outer 1/4 of each side of the core. Based on Ricardo's experience, it appears that if you get the MP version, at least you want a 3 row.

I got the shorter Parallel Flow core and will be putting it in service by July, hopefully. I'll give feedback then.

I feared that my custom one was too small but I think with two or one small fan on it will shed some of its heat. But this is just an FYI so you dont get mad at me when you buy it and expect different results....Like I said I am so far happy. I like windows down but I drive on the highway alot and I like non windy ride and I think it will suit me just fine. But I will keep updating I have not gotten to check out 100deg days just yet. ;)

Nettlesd
05-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Maybe you should have went with the P/F core.

Mike8675309
05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Here is a link to a thread where I walked though installing the parallel flow unit.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107070

It's pretty easy and fits very nicely.

ricardoa1
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM

fturner
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
Update, I've installed mine (running the shorter condensor with the smaller tubes) and its great. I had one day it got to about 95 with the humidex and it had no problem keeping up in regular a/c mode, and that includes sitting around at idle.

Of course it helps that I switched to Duracool instead of running that pathetic R134a. I also noticed the car doesn't even feel the compressor kicking in like it did with the r134a. I actually removed the a/c rpm adder in the tune and the rpm gauge barely even twitches kicking the a/c on. I don't even feel it cycle when I'm driving.

Fraser

Pablo94SC
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
What's this Duracool you speak of? And maybe I'm missing it, but did you say you went with the 2-row?

fturner
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm running the 2 core 1/4" tubing since I'm in the north anyway. Duracool is the product name of the R12a kit I bought to charge the a/c with. Another one is called RedTek which again is R12a.

Fraser

Mike8675309
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Duracool is one of the numerous coolants made from various combinations of Propane. I believe duracool is a mix of propane and butane. There is some grey areas on the valid use of such a product in automotive cooling systems in the U.S.
http://www.epa.gov/ozone/snap/refrigerants/hc12alng.html

RedFox
07-17-2009, 12:08 PM

The 1-800 # does not work from Toronto, Canada. Does anybody have another number that they can be reached?

Thanks.

gldiii
07-17-2009, 03:41 PM
The 1-800 # does not work from Toronto, Canada. Does anybody have another number that they can be reached? Thanks.

They show this info on their site:

American Condenser
1628 w. 139th St., Gardena, CA 90249
Tel:800.777.1591
Fax:310.515.5310
E-mail: Sales@americancondenser.com

Maybe the Fax or email will work for you. Should probably mention the salesman's name from the first post if you email or fax. You can also try to PM Duane Nettles. He may have addtional numbers.

(I had to lookup a condsenser to get to other pages.)

RedFox
07-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you.
I spoke to Art and discussed my application. I intend to use the vehicle for street and run open track in 30 minute sessions, so flow was important to me. I will run the Kenny W. twin core unit.

He recommended the 3 row unit in an 11 fin/inch versus 16 or 18 for other units. The 3 row will allow cooling similar to the stock unit but the lower fin count will offer better air flow.

Seems like an excellent compromise. This will be a custom unit offered at the same $165 price. Excellent info. in this thread.

They show this info on their site:

American Condenser
1628 w. 139th St., Gardena, CA 90249
Tel:800.777.1591
Fax:310.515.5310
E-mail: Sales@americancondenser.com

Maybe the Fax or email will work for you. Should probably mention the salesman's name from the first post if you email or fax. You can also try to PM Duane Nettles. He may have addtional numbers.

(I had to lookup a condsenser to get to other pages.)

Pablo94SC
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Thank you.
I spoke to Art and discussed my application. I intend to use the vehicle for street and run open track in 30 minute sessions, so flow was important to me. I will run the Kenny W. twin core unit.

He recommended the 3 row unit in an 11 fin/inch versus 16 or 18 for other units. The 3 row will allow cooling similar to the stock unit but the lower fin count will offer better air flow.

Seems like an excellent compromise. This will be a custom unit offered at the same $165 price. Excellent info. in this thread.

He mentioned that option to me as well. I need to bite the bullet and get myself one soon, but everytime I make up my mind, I talk to Art and he mentions the other options and I start over at square one. LOL

96SCbird
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Anybody know what the proper charge will be using the parallel flow unit with R134a? Stock is 34 oz. but what will it be with the smaller unit?

89_Red_Xr7
09-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Over the long weekend I got one of the two parallel flow condensers I had ordered installed on my 94'. Installation was relatively straightforward. Drivers side mount needed to be relocated to install the short unit. Unfortunately the tubes for the hookups interfere with a vertical support on the car (I wound up notching this support.) I have not checked my 89' to see if it would be an issue on that car, but on the 94 it was.

I've now just finished doing a leak down check and charged the unit. In 95* ambient temps with the car idling the car will blow ice cold ac non stop. With the compressor turning I am seeing 250 psi high pressure and 28 psi low pressures. This unit is working outstanding and is not having any trouble keeping up with the heat load of a hot AZ day. (The pressure gradient across the lines tells us how well this unit is working in comparison to other condensers. as a rule of thumb you want a 7:1 pressure difference for an AC system in good condition. This unit is seeing a differential of almost 9:1)

As far as air travel to the inter cooler, I have noticed a difference in the IC tube temps while driving around yesterday and randomly stopping to feel up the IC tubes :D:p The unit on the car is a bone stock inter cooler with no fan and there is now a noticeable temperature gradient from the upper IC tube to the lower IC tube while driving around at city speeds (35mph)

With all that said, if I didn't buy two at once, I'd be on the horn ASAP to get another parallel flow unit for my 89'. Minor fitment issues aside the condensor works incredibly well and allows even the stock I/C to do some decent amount of cooling.

Andrew

\\EDIT\\ I should also mention that fin density on the new unit is by far less than the removed stock unit. Installing the Parallel flow core will also be opening up your radiator to improved airflow and subsequently improved cooling.

sail7seas
09-19-2009, 01:18 PM
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64624&highlight=condenser

RedFox
09-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Over the long weekend I got one of the two parallel flow condensers I had ordered installed on my 94'. Installation was relatively straightforward. Drivers side mount needed to be relocated to install the short unit. Unfortunately the tubes for the hookups interfere with a vertical support on the car (I wound up notching this support.) I have not checked my 89' to see if it would be an issue on that car, but on the 94 it was.

I've now just finished doing a leak down check and charged the unit. In 95* ambient temps with the car idling the car will blow ice cold ac non stop. With the compressor turning I am seeing 250 psi high pressure and 28 psi low pressures. This unit is working outstanding and is not having any trouble keeping up with the heat load of a hot AZ day. (The pressure gradient across the lines tells us how well this unit is working in comparison to other condensers. as a rule of thumb you want a 7:1 pressure difference for an AC system in good condition. This unit is seeing a differential of almost 9:1)

As far as air travel to the inter cooler, I have noticed a difference in the IC tube temps while driving around yesterday and randomly stopping to feel up the IC tubes :D:p The unit on the car is a bone stock inter cooler with no fan and there is now a noticeable temperature gradient from the upper IC tube to the lower IC tube while driving around at city speeds (35mph)

With all that said, if I didn't buy two at once, I'd be on the horn ASAP to get another parallel flow unit for my 89'. Minor fitment issues aside the condensor works incredibly well and allows even the stock I/C to do some decent amount of cooling.

Andrew

\\EDIT\\ I should also mention that fin density on the new unit is by far less than the removed stock unit. Installing the Parallel flow core will also be opening up your radiator to improved airflow and subsequently improved cooling.

I just installed my unit yesterday. Its a twin core with a low 11 fin/inch count for optimal air flow. Flow is significantly better than the stock unit judging by my lower operating temps.

I've never charged a system before, so what do I need to know. Is 250 psi HP and 28 psi LP withing the stock recommended specs?

Thanks.

89_Red_Xr7
09-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Usually you want to keep the pressure differentials around 7:1, so a low pressure reading of 30psi would be 210 high psi, etc...

As far as my results, The system works great and I'm leery about adding more refrigerant as I've already put in 28 oz. with the very short/thin parallel flow. (stock is 34oz I believe for R134)

RedFox
09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Usually you want to keep the pressure differentials around 7:1, so a low pressure reading of 30psi would be 210 high psi, etc...

As far as my results, The system works great and I'm leery about adding more refrigerant as I've already put in 28 oz. with the very short/thin parallel flow. (stock is 34oz I believe for R134)

Thanks. All is working out very well so far as far as flow and the install. These units are very well built and Art was great to deal with. :)

ricardoa1
12-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Ill be placing an order for another condenser for my other car. This time I am going to do the shorter one made for the stock IC applications. I am wondering if people have had sucess with the 1/4" tube ones? The one for $110.

Toms-SC
12-30-2009, 01:28 PM
Just a thought for those with an automatic...

What would stop us from asking them to make up special condenser that has a built in transmission cooler?

We could use the design from the MP FMIC.
And add a second separate radiator below with AN fittings for the transmission cooler?

Hmm

ricardoa1
12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
I just spoke to Art about these badboys he feels he did not get the market support he was thinking of. He gave me the numbers of sales to our group and I must say this is the reason why we dont have the aftermaket support we need for our cars. Kinda sad. The thread had about 5500 views...

So far the numbers look like.

P40776P – 4; 16 X 18” P/F
P40503 – 3; 16 X 17” 2-ROW
P40759 – 2; 16 X 17” 3-ROW
P40758 – 1; 9 X 27” 3-ROW
P40777 – 1; 9 X 27” 2-ROW

Total of 11 condensers. This does not include my prototype one so that 12 condensers. Sad Sad, if this whats going to happen if a twinscrew options is offered I dont see it happening anytime soon.

He is looking for feedback from us since he feels we are confused about so may options avail and he wants to drop a few to make things less confusing.

This is the conversation so far.

Me,
I took an extract from the info on our club website. How are you making out with these are they doing ok for you. I know its winter time so last thing they think is AC. I think you might have sold more parallel flows then anything else that’s great.

Art,
Ricardo,

We aren’t doing too well with these units in respect with the sales. I was under the impression that we would get more business from the club members. The problem may be that there are too many choices available and not enough feedback from the individuals who purchased them. If there is any kind of feedback(good or bad), I would like to hear it. So far I’ve been kept out of the loop. As manufacturers, we depend on customer feedback to see how our product is performing in real-world conditions. If the feedback is negative, then we need to address those issues and improve the performance before word gets out that our product is “crap”.

As I stated many times, these are all experimental designs where in most cases, we are cutting 30% capacity from the oem design(except 3-row units). In most cases, customer compromise might be necessary(do I want creature comfort and choke my CAC or vice-versa?).

Having said that, the 2-row short version is not going to cool as well as the oem.

If you’re still interested, then let’s rock-n-roll.

I am attaching drawings with part numbers and apps in case someone wants to post them on the website.

Regards,

Art

P.S.

Here’s what club members purchased in `09:

P40776P – 4; 16 X 18” P/F

P40503 – 3; 16 X 17” 2-ROW

P40759 – 2; 16 X 17” 3-ROW

P40758 – 1; 9 X 27” 3-ROW

P40777 – 1; 9 X 27” 2-ROW

Me,
I apologize that is has been a poor selling market. Unfortunately the nature of our bulletin board is that as more and more posts are made the older stuff gets buried and people tend to forget and postpone the purchase. I agree that too many options confuse the buyer. So this is what I know from following up with people posting their results.

The Parallel flow P40776P seems what people are most interested in when they are getting the one for the stock IC set ups. It provides excellent AC results. I don’t see the three core P40759 needed to be offered if the parallel flow P40776P is to be sold. It’s like selling the same thing in terms of AC performance but you get a better product with the PF. So the three cores ones should not be an option. The two row P40503 option should still be offered for those that are on a budget and/or want the most air flow to the radiator. The two core P40503, is similar as the “Ford Bronco” condensers that a lot of our members have retrofitted to our cars (not a bolt on), It performs well in the northern climates, but I cannot attest to the lower states since those guys go to the better stuff anyways in fear that it will not work well.

In summary the P40776P Should be the recommendation for most and the P40503 should be recommended if extreme hot weather is not to be encountered.

Next, the Aftermarket IC ones. I can tell you my results. I had issues with the P40777P you made me and I would drop that from your list, above 85 and sitting still the AC starts to not cool well. This was experimental on my part. And for that Application I would drop the two core design ones. The P40783P and P40758P should be the choice since they are three rows.

This shows photo shows you the issue with my prototype one. The end tanks of the aftermarket IC restrict airflow completely in this area this was unforeseen on my part, so a three row is a must IMO and no less then the already designed surface area of the P40783P and P40758P .

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i10/ricardoa1/Condenser004.jpg

ricardoa1
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Just a thought for those with an automatic...

What would stop us from asking them to make up special condenser that has a built in transmission cooler?

We could use the design from the MP FMIC.

And add a second separate radiator below with AN fittings for the transmission cooler?

Hmm

Tom
I doubt Art will be interested in more options at this point read my previous post.

Toms-SC
12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Good job on the group buy Ricardo!

SCTBIRD1173
12-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Ricardo, I agree it sucks that we can't show support to the companies that go out of the way to help us out. I do believe that with winter upon us many are not thinking too much about A/C.

I am definitely interested in one of these units but have too many winter plans right now to throw this into the mix too. If I knew I wasn't over budget already I would order one now to show my support.

Thanks Ricardo for making this happen! Let Art know he has at least 1 more customer waiting in the wings.

99GSXR750
12-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Is he still making or selling condensers for our cars? I hope he hasn't stopped as I want a shorter one for a stock or double i/c.

fturner
12-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Ill be placing an order for another condenser for my other car. This time I am going to do the shorter one made for the stock IC applications. I am wondering if people have had sucess with the 1/4" tube ones? The one for $110.

I'm using the 1/4" one on my car and I switched to R12a, and on a day with 105F humidex the car was ice cold at idle, let alone driving along. I had set it up for 30psi on the lo side.

It has never been that cold with the stock condensor and r134a.

Fraser

Pablo94SC
01-17-2010, 03:51 AM
OK, I just finished installing mine. I thought I would post up the results. First, I bought the 3 row version. I test fit it and everything looked good. Installing it was actually pretty simple. I had to make 3 minor changes to the car and I used all of the original condenser mounts.

In picture 1 is the bolt I had to grind off the excess length off of inside the engine bay. It is the bolt that holds a ground behind the passenger headlight.

In picture 2 I had to cut a knotch in the rubber piece above the condenser area for the driver side mount to fit.

In picture 3 I had to drill a hole to relocate the top mount on the drivers side.
I also relocated the lower rubber mount and siliconed it in place.

In picture 4 is the condenser installed.

It dropped right in.

My condenser sat just far enough toward the passenger side to require some grinding to the frame rail right by the inlet/outlet of the condenser. Also required me to adjust the wiring bundle that runs under the upper radiator support (but I've been planning that for a while now since the Griffin radiator's mounting tab rubbed it). This is on a '94. I might also be doing something wrong. :p :rolleyes:

nickleman60
01-17-2010, 10:15 AM
I bought a 2 row shorty condensor a couple of yrs ago but I can't remember from what company. I planned on putting the ac back on my car after I finished modding the motor but now I don't know if I want the added weight since I want to get into the 11's. It's brand new and never been used, I did have it mounted in my car though but never hooked it up so I might want to sell it. I know this isn't the for sale forum but it is about buying a shorty condensor.

Nettlesd
01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
It could be an AirCon unit which this unit is based on. Since AirCon is no more, I contacted American Condenser to see if one could be produced. Lucky for us, they were willing to work with us and produce a couple for our needs. With the initial buy, and Ricardo's group buy, it looks like the club has step forwarded and rewarded the manufacturer with sales.

Mike8675309
07-05-2010, 09:36 PM

I just placed an order. Gonna try to get the car into shape so my wife is willing to take a Sunday drive or Friday night cruise in the thing this year.

So I got the A/C charged last week (R134A) and had a chance to take a good drive today. I need to add a pusher fan to my cooling system to keep coolant temps under 210F when sitting in traffic. I got stuck in a trail of red lights when testing the A/C and coolant temps would rise. But driving down the road temps stay right around 190 which is in the control range of the fans (180 thermostat)

Driving around in 84F temps with 67% humidity, the vents blow plenty cold. Once I get the wires cleaned up from tuning, the Female Acceptance Factor (FAF) should be much higher now.

35thauto
08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I just ordered the parallel flow one & will do temp readings once I have it in & serviced up. I did look on here & did not see any vent temps from anyone on these units. Art has had no feedback from anyone yet. BTW , I did get a new fan motor (89) installed & it turns much faster than OEM & sound like a monster so I suggest replacing the Rad. fan motor as an addition to 134a. I am using ES-12a & do get mad cold A/C as a result.

Stay cool!!!!

Matt

KMT
08-26-2010, 12:13 AM
35thauto>I did look on here & did not see any vent temps from anyone on these units.

Does this post apply?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111540&highlight=condenser&page=6

Pretty sure I sent an email thanks to Art as well, back on 7.31.

35thauto
08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
That's the one......Well it's in & working I am getting 42 @ the vent w/ 90 OAT & fan speed med-hi , (3rd detent) driving. 48deg. @ idle. I am very sure I have a bit too much Oil in the system so it can't cool as well, it is good for now till I can flush it & start over.

Pablo94SC
08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Mine PF unit works great around town until it gets above 95 out with high humidity, then performance start to go down. Here's basically how well the A/C cooled based on when the my auto climate control started to kick the blower fan down to low*.

95* (heat index 102-105*) = 70* in car
98* (heat index 105-108*) = 72* in car
99* (heat index (108-112*) = 75* in car
100* (heat index 112-116*) = 78* in car

At constant speeds of 45mph+, you can move down 1 position on the scale, and sometimes 2, depending on how long the drive is, how fast you're driving and how much direct sunlight you're getting.

On the other hand, when the humidity broke late last week and we got some dryer air, the vent temps dropped significantly. Setting my A/C at 72* would freeze me out. I've gone up to 75* or 78*, adjusting the vents, and even sometimes shutting the vents half-way off.

* System is on MAX A/C. This is the only way I know to get the A/C to recirculate the air. All other settings draw fresh air from under the cowl.

Mike8675309
08-27-2010, 01:52 PM
when checking performance of A/C you really must take a measurement directly at the vent output. preferably the center vent output as that tends to be closest to the evaporator. This is the only way to compare performance, as any other location or ambient air temp has to deal with factors like sunny vs cloudy.

Pablo94SC
08-27-2010, 06:57 PM
when checking performance of A/C you really must take a measurement directly at the vent output. preferably the center vent output as that tends to be closest to the evaporator. This is the only way to compare performance, as any other location or ambient air temp has to deal with factors like sunny vs cloudy.

Trust me, those temps are all from sunny days in "holy hell did I step into a sauna?" Memphis weather. We had enough of them for me to get a pretty good gauge of real world performance, or lack thereof. :eek:

And not to take away from what you're saying as you're correct - it is the best way to measure performance if you're in a controlled testing environment - but we don't live in a controlled testing environment. My point is that if you ask a non-technical person (like most of our moms or g/f's), they won't care if the air coming out of the vent is 35* or 55*. They'll want to know how cold the the temps inside the car are going to be so they will know if they need to bring a sweatshirt (or winter coat). ;)

shoalcracker
08-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Asking the G/F to bring a sweater in 95-100 temps sounds like your driving a potential chick magnet.

Pablo94SC
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Asking the G/F to bring a sweater in 95-100 temps sounds like your driving a potential chick magnet.

:D :cool:

XxSlowpokexX
08-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Paul,

You really need to check vent temps as Mike described and even then your system is only gong to perform as well as the conditions its subjected to. However that is the best point for comparison.

There is a possability that even a completely stock system will get overloaded in extreme temperature situations with high humidity and temps. The condensor will not work as efficient (stock or aftermarket) in extreme conditions and when combined with the solar loading of your car....And it may very well be too much.

Flip
08-28-2010, 11:38 AM
For what it's worth I've got an Air-con / running 134 and mine and it works fantastic. Not sure what the vent temp is but will frost the windows here in Orlando 95+ with high humidity. My SC seems to run cooler with the A/C on than without it. Stays around 190 with it on and about 210 with it off. Running a griffin rad also.

El Gato
06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
In case there's anyone left who doesn't have one of these, Art Reyna @ American Condensers is still honoring the group buy price. I just ordered one of the shorter condensers on 6/7/11.

Mike O

ricardoa1
06-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Update, the condenser is working very well in the car. I ran the car all weekend long and was even sitting still at the carlisle parade for at least 30-45minutes. Blowing cold the whole time. Mine is tube and fin design two row.
There are a couple more hot 90deg days up ahead lets see if performance stays in check.

BTW I have spoken to Art and he will continue to price the condenser at the Group Buy price I think he might now keep it in stock.

rapper33142
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
im looking to buy one any body have one to sale ..

Quik95SC
03-02-2012, 11:18 AM
I have sent you a PM let me know.

Smitty

Jason Wild
03-04-2012, 09:24 AM
im looking for one as well

rapper33142
03-04-2012, 10:32 AM
i sent u one back ........

92bird
04-26-2012, 01:35 PM
FYI, per ART at American Condensor, the MP style condensors are no longer available. He said they were discontinued 2 years ago..

I was trying to help a local guy get his MP front mount set up and this was part of the plan, but I guess a stock condensor will have to do.

Jeramie

ThunderRoad
04-27-2012, 04:42 PM
thats what i been told :eek:

Jason Wild
05-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Im trying to see if they still make the short ones there website does not show them as good numbers any more.

J dot Miller
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
thats what i been told :eek:

86-89 Bronco II and ranger condensers are shorter.

92bird
05-21-2012, 08:08 PM
86-89 Bronco II and ranger condensers are shorter.

mp fmic style shorter or double intercooler style shorter?

J dot Miller
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
I did it for the double IC that FF is making for me...
:confused:

rapper33142
05-22-2012, 06:47 PM
i have a db intercooler and want a shorter condenser as well any one else use the bronco condenser and how much work is it to install

Wzenheimer
01-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Ordering Information:

American Condenser
1628 w. 139th St.,
Gardena, CA 90249

Contact person: Art Reyna
Phone: 800.777.1591

P40503 - with oem set-up - 2 row, 1/4" tube core - $110.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler
P40759 - with oem set-up - 3 row, 5/16" tube core - $165.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler
40776P - with oem set-up - Parallel Flow core - $165.00 - Short version for Stock/Double Intercooler
T.B.A - with MP set-up - 2 row, 1/4" tube core - $165.00 - MP Style Intercooler
P40758 - with MP set-up - 3 row, 5/16" tube core - $165.00 - MP Style Intercooler

I spoke with Art Reyna today. They do still have (1) 40776P in stock @ $165. He had 2 but I bought one. He is willing to produce more but only approximately 10 units per year of part #s P40759 and 40776P. The others would be possible but only if a larger quantity were ordered. Just thought I would post this up in case anyone else needed a shorter AC condenser.

Cheers,
Chris

ricardoa1
01-29-2013, 02:34 PM
I spoke with Art Reyna today. They do still have (1) 40776P in stock @ $165. He had 2 but I bought one. He is willing to produce more but only approximately 10 units per year of part #s P40759 and 40776P. The others would be possible but only if a larger quantity were ordered. Just thought I would post this up in case anyone else needed a shorter AC condenser.

Cheers,
Chris

Good to hear they are still around. Maybe Duane can update his first post to delete the ones no longer offered.
Basically a three core and a PF version of the short "narrow" Stock IC one. Which BTW works well for custom mount ICs because you can run the pipes to the front via the opening it creates.

Kurt K
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Good to hear they are still around. Maybe Duane can update his first post to delete the ones no longer offered.
Basically a three core and a PF version of the short "narrow" Stock IC one. Which BTW works well for custom mount ICs because you can run the pipes to the front via the opening it creates.

That's good to hear that the core is working well for you. I need to get around and install the one I bought a couple of years ago.

LIVipers
03-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but is a shorter condenser necessary when using a KW Double Intercooler?

Tim Groth
03-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Nope.

-Tim

LIVipers
03-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you Tim, please excuse my ignorance, but then what are the benefits of the shorter condenser when running an aftermarket intercooler?

XR7 Dave
03-04-2013, 11:10 PM
The issue with the double IC is that a 4" thick IC core tends not to flow any air through it. Even with a fan, flow is minimal. Shortening the AC condenser allows more air to get to the IC core for better cooling. It also allows you to put a pusher fan on the other side of the IC which helps even more.

LIVipers
03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
The issue with the double IC is that a 4" thick IC core tends not to flow any air through it. Even with a fan, flow is minimal. Shortening the AC condenser allows more air to get to the IC core for better cooling. It also allows you to put a pusher fan on the other side of the IC which helps even more.

Thank you for the reply Dave. Any idea where I can get a condenser that will work? I can't seem to find any of the ones listed in the opening post.

Tom

XR7 Dave
03-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Thank you for the reply Dave. Any idea where I can get a condenser that will work? I can't seem to find any of the ones listed in the opening post.

Tom

American Condenser (http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111540&highlight=condenser)

Just ordered one on Monday. They have them in stock.

LIVipers
03-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Thanks Dave, I sent them an email last night regarding the parallel condenser, hopefully they get back to me shortly.

Tom

macius8
04-22-2014, 03:46 PM
Is American Condenser still in business? The phone number is unavailable and no one is responding to emails.

Nettlesd
04-23-2014, 01:50 PM
I thought I read in this post or another post where they had closed up shop.

macius8
04-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Are there other options for a short condenser?

KMT
04-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Are there other options for a short condenser?

Seen this comment/thread from 2006?
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?78144-Shortened-Condenser&p=561579#post561579

macius8
04-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Seen this comment/thread from 2006?
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?78144-Shortened-Condenser&p=561579#post561579

How efficient is that one? Complarable to the parralel flow units?

KMT
04-24-2014, 12:11 PM
How efficient is that one? Complarable to the parralel flow units?

Are you thinking of finding a used one from an '86? Not sure I would bother w/that.

I don't think it would be that hard to find a new one built w/parallel flow these days. Just start using Google and then chat up some of the manufs. Example: http://www.max-ac.com/Parallel-Flow-Condensers_c_22828.html - give them the dimensions and in/out placement and go from there. I'd expect some minor mods to mount.