New SC owner has issues

STLSC95

I just bought a 1995 SC 5-speed. The car appeared to be misfiring and I pulled the following codes: 176, 177, 542. I replaced the wires, plugs, oxygen sensors, and fuel filter,and drove the car 5 miles. No codes are present but car still runs like it is misfiring / or has a loose wire or something. I checked wires and made sure they are where they should be. I really do not know, but am willing to take it to a mechanic. I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Does anyone know of any reputable mechanics near St. Charles or Maryland Heights? Thanks.

Are you sure the firing order is correct? One of the manuals showed it incorrectly. Search the forum for a post by David Neibert that has a picture attached to it, or maybe somebody will post it.

As for reputable mechanics is St Louis, there was only one guy besides myself that would work on my car, but he no longer has a shop.

k, just looked at my ciol pack on my 95 s/c auto, try this;

B F M r/s cylinders passenger side

M F B l/s cylinders drivers side

front of car looking back to the windscreen

M=middle cyl
F=front cyl
B=rear cyl

i dont remember which bank is #1 cylinder, so just following the wires back to the plugs

I checked the firing order in my Ford Mechanics Manual and online and everything checks out. The car just feels like one of the cylinders is not firing correctly or at all. I really do not know, but would really like a second opinion. My friends and I have messed with it for 3 weeks now and I just want to fix the car. I also have oened a 94 LX v-8 car for the last 6 years but can't wait to start driving the 5-speed car! I live in Maryland Heights and was hoping to get the car ready for track season!

pull one plug at a time. if a sparkplug isn't firing it'll be a lil shiny from the fuel not being birned. you could also at that time put your ohm meter to continuity setting, then check each wire also.

It the spark plug is connected to the wire, will that show up as a different resistance in ohms? vs. a wire that is not properly installed? Thanks for the advise

Easiest way to figure out, in the driveway, which one is missing. Start the car. Let the idle settle. Carefully pull sparkplug wires, one at a time. When you pull a wire and it makes no difference in idle quality, thats the one that is not firing. If that cyclinder if firing, you will see/hear a difference in idle quality. One at a time. If you pull a wire and it runs worse, put it back on and go to the next wire. Till you find the one that has no effect. Careful though, it stings when you get zapped. Try not to touch the car with any other part of your body while pulling the wires one at a time. If your not grounded to the car you are less likely to get hit by the current. Once you get it narrowed down you can then determine what it at fault. Plug, wire, injector, compression (mechanical problem)...

[/Thanks, I just can't wait to drive the car! Its been sitting for 3 weeks now QUOTE]
Three weeks is not that long for a lot of SC's.:p

Could you put a timing light on each plug wire and see if it flashes to check for spark?

Yeah, 3 weeks isn't anything at all. Mine has been sitting for 2 years now. but should be running tomorrow :cool::D I am sooo pumped!! When I had my 4th and 6th (or something like that) backwards, my car had a bad backfire problem.

Back