balancer fixed but still have a vibration.

92redsupercoupe

ok i put the new balancer on and it seems to be a LITTLE smoother. but there is still an rpm varianced vibration. it seems at idle there is a thunking noise coming from the intercooler. Thats the only place i can hear something thats out of the ordinary.

Which balancer did you put in? I think that if you use a BHJ, you need to balance your stock crank pulley. I may be wrong though.

best bet is to just get new zero balanced pulleys underdrives at that.

thats what im doing, as soon as i yank my engine and trans out my black 90 im going to slap on my new bhj with all new pulleys.

about 17-18 vac and i can get around 10psi on stock pulley. i tried spraying carb cleaner around the ic tubes while the car was idling and nothing happend. the bolts arent loose either. car idles fine. every once in a blue moon when i start the car it will idle very rough until i give it gas then its ok.

Are you certian that the new balancer you bought was a zero balance unit ? Asking because I don't know of any company that sells an SC balancer except for Ford and BHJ. Some of the other 3.8 motors use an unbalanced crankshaft that require a weighted balancer. The backside of the balancer has a big slug of metal on one side and the SC balancer does not.

David

Back