Drive line joints

kenewagner

I will be soon installing a Lentec Transmission. I am sure the U joint in the driveshaft, like the old tranny have over 145,000 miles on them, What do the big dogs recommend for new U joints. Is there a stronger joint than stock to install??

Ken

This is why you guys probably only do one night comedy stands:rolleyes::D

Anyone one else replace their U joints with a superior product other than stock? Is the moog joint stock or aftermarket?

ken

Anyone one else replace their U joints with a superior product other than stock? Is the moog joint stock or aftermarket?

ken

When I had my driveshaft rebuilt and balanced, the driveline shop used Spicer U-joints. I can't say they are better or worse than OEM.

Bryan

U-Joints

Our cars use the 1330 style joints [same as the Mustang] and there is a pretty good selection out there. Last time I changed joints, I went with Neapco Brute Force units part no 2-4800BF. They are beefy and Advance Auto has them for about $17 each. If you're going all out, you can probably go with Lakewood 23016 joints for about $37 each

Attachments

• DSCN8597.jpg
    DSCN8597.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 93
Our cars use the 1330 style joints [same as the Mustang] and there is a pretty good selection out there. Last time I changed joints, I went with Neapco Brute Force units part no 2-4800BF. They are beefy and Advance Auto has them for about $17 each. If you're going all out, you can probably go with Lakewood 23016 joints for about $37 each

Thats what Im looking for. Im surprised at the lack of material on drive shaft joints. I would think that it would be one more weak link to remove from our cars. Great information. Thanks

Ken

>I would think that it would be one more weak link to remove from our cars.

Yeah, 'cause we hate it when parts only last 147k

I'd think a u-joint would be far better to bust than a ring & pinion, trans or axle. When you move the drama from one item, it usually just targets another. Is there really that much u-joint busting going on?

>I would think that it would be one more weak link to remove from our cars.

Yeah, 'cause we hate it when parts only last 147k

I'd think a u-joint would be far better to bust than a ring & pinion, trans or axle. When you move the drama from one item, it usually just targets another. Is there really that much u-joint busting going on?

More intresting in putting in good parts the first time.

Ken

If you don't want to change your driveshaft, then you'll need to go with 1330 U-joints. Personally, if I felt the rest of the components were up to it, I would switch over to 1350 series u-joints. But that would require new yokes at the diff and the trans, and new drive shaft ends.

1330 u-joint has caps of a 1310 u-joint, but larger body. 1350 u-joint has the same body of the 1330 but larger caps.

If sticking with 1330, look for a solid u-joint, non-greasable from Spicer. Then add u-joints to your PM maintenance plan. The grease path just makes them too fragile and if you're making good power, you don't want to have the u-joint break if everything else is up to the power.

If you don't want to change your driveshaft, then you'll need to go with 1330 U-joints. Personally, if I felt the rest of the components were up to it, I would switch over to 1350 series u-joints. But that would require new yokes at the diff and the trans, and new drive shaft ends.

1330 u-joint has caps of a 1310 u-joint, but larger body. 1350 u-joint has the same body of the 1330 but larger caps.

If sticking with 1330, look for a solid u-joint, non-greasable from Spicer. Then add u-joints to your PM maintenance plan. The grease path just makes them too fragile and if you're making good power, you don't want to have the u-joint break if everything else is up to the power.

I have a drive line shop as a vender for our shop. I was planning on giving it to them to replace the joints and balance the drive shaft. I will be sticking with stock size U joints and its good to know about the greaseable vs nongreaseable joints. Just looking to put a good product back in vs just putting something in and not knowing anything about it.

Ken

I will be soon installing a Lentec Transmission. I am sure the U joint in the driveshaft, like the old tranny have over 145,000 miles on them, What do the big dogs recommend for new U joints. Is there a stronger joint than stock to install??

Ken

Ken,

I think you are now at a point that you need to ditch the stock driveshaft and buy an aluminum one. I bought mine from the company listed below and have them installed in both of my SCs. The driveshaft comes complete ready to install with new u-joints, companion flange, slip yoke and is balanced to 8500 rpms. The end yoke, ujoints and flange was supposed to be cryo treated for extra strength but I don't know if they really were. These guys are the same company that made the driveshafts for a couple of group buys on on TCCoA a few years ago.

Precision Shaft Technologies, Inc
1717 N. Overbrook Ave.
Clearwater, FL 33755
PH: 727-442-1711
FX: 727-442-0949
Owner's name is Mark

89-93 3.8L AOD 57.80" driveshaft

The last one I bought (2007) was $425 plus $12 for shipping and was at my front door 4 days after placing the order.

David

PS: These are the driveshaft and transmission lengths for some other cars.

94-97 3.8L 4R70W 57" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
89-95 3.8L M5R2 53.80" driveshaft (M5R2 overall length 35")
89-93 3.8L AOD 57.80" driveshaft (AOD overall length 31")
94-97 4.6L 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
93-98 Mark VIII 4R70W 58.20" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")
94-04 Crown Vic 4R70W 55.50" driveshaft (4R70W overall length 32")

David

If that is still the stock driveshaft ken, I would also recommend getting a new one. The place Dave N mentioned is the one I have been talking to as well. At the power level you will be at, failure of a stock driveshaft is inevitable. Usually the end yokes get twisted off the end of the shaft.

See this is all new to me. I will be looking it to this to be sure. I am glad I asked the question to begin with;) Looks like one will be in my future.

Ken

Back