gear swap and speedo conversion

starmantv

I have a 90sc 5-speed , just changed to an auto 3.27 pumpkin and was wanting to convert my original speedo to 145mph. Do I change the speedo gear in the trans ? I have the article for the conversion but with the gear change I am unsure.

You would need to change the speedo gear in the trans because of the gear swap- I don't know offhand which tooth count you need. The 145 speedo swap would have nothing to do with the gear swap, so I'd say do one or both!

gear

so the speedo gear has nothing to do with the speedo itself, lets say I put in a gear from a 94-95 that would not calibrate my 120 speedo to 145?

so the speedo gear has nothing to do with the speedo itself, lets say I put in a gear from a 94-95 that would not calibrate my 120 speedo to 145?

The 120 and 145 speedometer have the same calibration and swapping the cluster doesn't require making any changes to the speedometer gear in the transmission.

The speedo gear only needs to be changed if you switch rear end gears or make a big change in tire diameter. According to the FAQ I posted, your car with 3.27 gears would need the following speedo gear.

SC Manual 20 tooth Black C1DZ-17271-A

David

Last edited:
Back